Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I am going to get a 2.5RS rather than a WRX. Reason being the upfront costs are cheaper and the running costs are cheaper. How difficult is it to perform some standard modifications? I have never been one to work on cars. Mostly because I have other things I need to do and can't spend hours fixing mistakes...

How many people perform there on upgrades and mods and how many people pay people to do them?

What about adding a turbo eventually? Is this a reliable option for gaining power? Do you have to be a rocket scientist to understand how to install and setup a turbo? Is there much tuning involved with a turbo? What does it do to engine life? I would be looking to still get a lot of miles out of the car (100k plus miles...)

Thanks,
Kenny

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
let me introduce you to my favorite word in the english language: homologation the impreza was designed for rally and part of rally is 20 minute service breaks. as such, the car has been designed with changing parts quickly and easily in mind as opposed to most cars which are designed to be assembled at the factory effiecently and cheaply. i have found the impreza to be the easiest street car i've ever worked on. all the basic stuff is very straight forward. the only thing is subaru does like to torque their bolts so if you're a scrawny bastard such as myself, find a big friend or an impact wrench to help you out. actually, since you don't have alot of experience turning wrenches, i highly recommend meeting some of the other local owners and getting some help when you have something to install. this will make it easier and more fun, with less chance of screwing something up and not knowing how to fix it. the standard cost of all this is providing the beer and pizza ;) when you have something specific you're wondering about, feel free to post up here and/or check out scoobymods

have fun!

·
Registered
2004 Forester XTi
1,005 Posts
Nice post, 10th Warrior. ;)

But what about us who are new to the alcohol age? I'd not like to throw up around my car.

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
kickin_81 said:
Nice post, 10th Warrior. ;)

But what about us who are new to the alcohol age? I'd not like to throw up around my car.
umm, Odouls :confused: really, that is beyond my scope of knowledge. hey wait, scope, you can get drunk off that too :drunk: :barf: all i'm sayin' is 'round here, beer and pizza are standard bartering goods. as always, YMMV.

·
Registered
99 2.5 RS-T
838 Posts
Kenny welcome to the dark side. The RS is a great platform to begin messing with. As 10th warrior said the Impreza (all imprezas) are very easy to work on, very straight forward in procedure, and very intuitive. You've got several great resources online (RS25, Scoobymods, NASIOC, I-club, etc). Start small and set performance goals, have you ever autocrossed or rally crossed before? Very fun ways to enjoy the RS with very little investment, suspension and brakes are really the most rewarding mods you can start with. As you become more comfortable with the car and its (and your) capabilities then start looking at power adders like headers, pulleys, turbo/supercharger. All can be done very rewardingly and very reliably but the biggest factor in the car's reliability is the driver ;) .

·
Registered
98 2.5RS Rally Blue Pearl
396 Posts
If your eventual goal is turbo, why not start with a turbo car.

Modern turbo car's operating costs are comparitive to a NA car. Change the oil every 3k miles religiously and it will last as long as a RS.

Aftermarket kits are relatively easy to install (12-20 hrs) but will require closer monitoring than a factory turbo car.

If the additional $4k for a WRX is not feasible or if insurance will have you bending over due to age or past offenses, and since you are not a rocket scientist IMO starting with a factory turbo car might serve you better.

·
Registered
646 Posts
You can also drive the car for as long as you want and later on swap in a turbo EJ25 from the new turbo Forester. That should simplify things some.

·
Scoobymods Guy
2010 Legacy 3.6R Limited
1,157 Posts
While far from an expert, I've been messing with cars for quite awhile. I started off working on VW's when I was around 11, over the past 30+ years I've played with quite a few different makes and models. I've never been one to leave a car stock. More than half the fun is getting it the way you like it. I have to agree that my Impreza has to be one of the simpler cars to do work on next to a Datsun 510 I had.

Over the past few years the aftermarket availability for the Impreza has really grown. Prices are a lot better too. Also, since lots of things have been done already you get the benefit of learning from other peoples experiences. You won't be the first person doing most of the things you want to do. Not to mention, I think you'll find (for the most part - especially on this board) people willing to answer questions and even lend a hand if you are in their area.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts