Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
95 GC 371hp/355tq ej25 1.5xtr
4,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i remember when i was 15 and my mom was driving the legacy gt that i got as my first car. when i knew i was going to get that car was when i started to start everything with the car. i think the first thing i did was mod the stock intake system. on a MAP based car i just took off the hose before the big airbox with the filter in it. i still remember my mom driving up a hill and saying "thomas what did you do to this car!!! why does it sound different!!!"

and thats how it all began...lol.

·
Registered
99 Outback Sport
480 Posts
Well when I was younger, my dad used to rip his motorcycles apart and rebuild them with new cams or something. Later on, he started doing things to his cars, racing brakes and stuff. I guess it was just in my blood. :devil:

·
Registered
97, Impreza L
910 Posts
my dad owns a auto repair shop and I used to help him out when I was younger. I guess it just evolved from there.

·
(860)
2001 2.5RSTi Coupe
1,095 Posts
well, my first car was a 91 supra, beautiful car, i remember driving that thing and getting put back in the seat, later realizing how sloppy the suspension was.....so, replaced front and rear sway bars, threw some nice coilovers on there, made some front and rear strut bars, thats what really brought out the car.

and thats how my love for suspension was born! (i never did touch the motor in that thing, haha, but i spent countless dollars underneath ;) )

·
2.0L Turboner
94 RWD WRX & 82 EJ Brat
8,673 Posts
I started out by helping my Dad maintain his 69 corvette stingray and when he saw how much I enjoyed it he gave me a 71 VW Beetle which we partially restored and I ended up driving for my first car. Then came my "need for speed" and that dark spot in my auto ownership began, the DSM age...

·
Registered
'04 PSM WRX Premium
8,339 Posts
I was given my Subie as a graduation gift instead of having a grad party (I needed a car to get to school, and my dad was just going to sell the 95 for cheap if I didn't take it). So I took it. Then stumbled upon NASIOC while searching google. Got into modding there and came over to RS25 once I found it.

I really never thought of modifying the car until I had to fix some rust on the rear fenders. It was "work" but I enjoyed doing it and how it turned out.

·
Registered
2000 Impreza 2.5RS
957 Posts
I was into computers, but they eventually just pissed me off... i did it to get a "easier" job, according to my parents. Since I'm handicap, they really believe i can't do squat.. eventually computers pissed me off and i followed a dream to become a teacher, but i noticed i wanted to do something more fun and exciting too. I had a 90 corolla that I wanted to learn more about it, and when i started, my dad gave up the car to my uncle cuz his daughters needed it. My friend introduced me to subarus and I got into them and then soon enough, I got one of my one. I'm still not completely knowledgable about my car, but im learning and happy, so as a deep personal interest, I'm trying to become an auto mechanic as well ^__^

·
Registered
1999, 2.5 RSTi, RBP
2,239 Posts
Well so far I haven't really modded my car but I started by getting a 2002 Civic Si and had plans for it just not enough money to spend on modding parts. I got rid of it and now own my 99 RS and love it since I can do all the work myself so I can learn everything about my car. I will be having some extra cash soon so will get to start modding real soon. my first mod is suspension so I can start with handling and braking better. Then the Go Fast bits will come afterwards.

·
Registered
6,423 Posts
I started out by helping my Dad maintain his 69 corvette stingray and when he saw how much I enjoyed it he gave me a 71 VW Beetle which we partially restored and I ended up driving for my first car. Then came my "need for speed" and that dark spot in my auto ownership began, the DSM age...
ahh yes....
dsms are like herion.
you feel like HOLY SHIT! WOOHOO
and once you ditch them you just get the craving for easy mods and boost.

then you find an ej205:banana:

·
Banned
'04 RS PBP w/ Black Tarmacs
1,805 Posts
Well I grew up NY. My Dad is a aircraft/car (and sometimes boat) mechanic. I learned alot from him. Being near the beaches the modding began with trucks to get out on the sand. Lifts, lights, and locking differentials. Then I got into serious off roading and went from the 87 Bronco I had modified to a 78 Land Cruiser FJ40. Again.. lift, dampers, tires, winch..the whole nine.

I wanted a change after I moved to CO so got into autocross. I started modding my Suby per class rules in STX. I had already done a 20mm RSB at the time as well as the intake and exhaust. Dedicated tires came after the first event then springs and bigger swaybars as well as upgrading the brakes. So far it's been a long fun road.

Subies are so easy to mod I call it my "level one snap together car". :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts