Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
96 Impreza Brighton
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How did everyone get there rs? Just like to here some stories. Looking to get one in a couple months.

·
Retired Admin
Two Mini Coopers!
10,629 Posts
I was shopping for a new car that looked good, had reasonably good performance, was reliable, and had enough head and legroom for me.

The RS met all my qualifications easily. I love my RS!

·
Registered
613 Posts
tried to get one in '98 could not even find one...got a tacoma. hated the tacoma, tried getting a 2000 rs could not find one AGAIN, got a jetta. drunk hit my jetta last year...got my 02 rs FINALLY (still couldn't find a good used rs coupe to buy though) :happynow:
took me 3 years to get one but i finally did even if it is an 02 :p

·
Registered
744 Posts
I had a baby, so I wanted a 4 door.. and wanted to remain "sporty." A friend of mine turned me on to the RS. I couldn't turn in down. AWD, good looks, power everything... at only 19K. Other cars I looked at were mostly 2-doors.. but I didn't want to get a corolla or some other slow "family" car. :)

·
Registered
613 Posts
i remember back in 98 when the rs came out..i so wanted that car. i was the weird one in school that liked rallying, f1, and imports. i thought it was one of the best looking cars out there, bc it looked like the wrc car, everyone else thought it was so ugly, but they loved the looks of rustangs and crapmaros. but the 98's were so rare and all that dealer price gouging i never had the chance to get one. at least i got to learn how to drive on a subaru :D

·
Registered
51 Posts
I was walking down the sidewalk and this guy pulls up in a moving truck and stops right infront of me. The passenger hops out and goes running to the back of the truck, as that guy is opening it up the driver says, "Hey man! You wanna buy a car? I'll sell it for what ever you got on you! I swear it's not stolen. What do you say man?" I walk around the back of the truck to check it out, and it's a brand new RS... How could I say no to that...

[Sorry, this got long]

Actualy I'd been driving a Civic for four years. The car was a POS and for the last year of the lease I had been shoping around. Trying to figure out who I was and what car fit my lifestyle best... Did I want a V8 Mustang and be able to kill tires at whim? Did I want a Tacoma or the Xterra and go mudding? Did I want another rice rocket with no personality? Did I want a nice and sleek GTP, despite it being a POS American car? Could I talk my Fiancee into letting me (a part time Father of a child still in a car seat, and hoping to have another in a year or two) letting me buy a Miata? Damn I realy want a Miata... Any chance of finding a reasonably decent RX-7 Gen3 or Supra or Celica 4WD?

The Celica GTS was high on my list. There was a huge list of #2s.

At the same time my father was looking for a car, the LL. Bean car was on his list at the top. I was testing the GTP and there was a Mazda/Subaru dealer right next door. I left my car at the Pontiac dealer and walked over to take a look at the car my Dad wanted(he got the Volvo Xcountry AWD/Turbo) and drool over the Miatas. While I was sitting in a Miata playing with the shifter(I make it a point to play with the shifter in the Miata every month or two) a salesman came over. He and I started talking. I got out of the car and there was an RS sitting right there. I only glanced at it and the sales guy is like, "Nice car huh?" At the time all I knew about it was what I'd read in an article back in '98 where they said the scoop was non-functional, and it was underpowered. I looked at it that day and realized this car was as ugly as one of those smush nosed dogs. The guy doesn't even wait for me to respond, he goes, "You wanna drive it?" Now who says no to that?

I took it out for a test drive. Black manual 4 door. I made it about 200 yards and had to pull into a parking lot, this damned car was awsome. I decided that it was a real test and I was going to have a little fun with this car(he'd let me take it out alone) I spent about 25 minutes flying around, about all I remember was almost ditching while flooring it around a left hander into traffic, big smile, and scaring the piss out of some lady in a mini van when I came burning into a culdasac and started doing an impromtu slalom run infront of her house. There was gravel in the turn around - that was fun too. I didn't even bother taking it onto the freeway, this car was the only one on my list.

I took it back, got out, handed the keys over. I remember I was actualy shaking, I'm an experienced Sunday Test Driver and there have been only a very few times where I was shaking as I got out of the car[that time a buddy and I beat the snot out of a Miata for 2.5 hours and brought it back after close comes to mind:devil: ]

I say to the guy, "That's and awsome car. I had no idea it could drive like that." He says, "Yeah, I just sold one this morning. All I had to do was let the guy drive it... Can I tell my manager that I'm up to two today?" I told him I was very interested, but still had 4 months on my lease, I'd be back in a few months. Went home and found the I-club. Between that test drive and the I-club I was sold.

I got a Black, 01 Manual Sedan. Surprisingly enough my Fiancee loves the car, including the looks. She was very pleased that it had 4 doors. I've since learned to love the looks of the car... It took some convincing though. There are sooo many better looking cars out there... But few are as perfect for me as my RS.

Now I'm all warm and fuzzy.:sunny:

-Silas

·
Registered
143 Posts
Well... I can share my "how my friend got his 2001 2.5RS" and "how I got my WRX"

About Feb 1999, I was in the market for a new car because my Prelude was dying. Without shopping around much, I ended up leasing a Pontiac Grand Prix. Shortly thereafter, I started getting interested in rally racing, and reading reviews of the 2.5RS, and thinking "DAMN! Why didn't I look at that car?"

Jump forward to Feb 2001. A friend of mine was looking for a new car because his Probe was dying. His family has always driven Fords, and he was about to buy a Focus. I still had that burning desire in me to at least test drive a 2.5RS, so I talked him into it. We went to the local Subaru dealer, and they only had one on the lot... a White 4 door 5 speed. Ben couldn't drive a 5 speed, so he was kinda disappointed by it. We went over to an Outback Sport.. the only one on the lot... and it was an automatic. "Try this car out to see how it feels. They're basically the same thing, only the Outback has a little bit less power." We got the sales guy, he agreed with me, and gave us the keys for the OBS. Ben and I hopped in, and before we were even out of the parking lot, he was in love with how the car felt. We took it around the block a few times, and he loved it. We pulled back in, and he said "I like this, but I'd still like to see what the RS is like. I don't really need a wagon." So, we went to the sales guy... I said "I can drive a straight drive.. let me take it out just to show him what it can do." We got out of the parking lot, went flying around some back roads, and when we pulled into the parking lot, Ben got out, found the sales guy and said "Find me one with an automatic. I don't care what color, 2 or 4 door, I WANT ONE!"

Now, I wanted one too... BAD! But, the lease on my Pontiac wasn't up for another year. By that time, we'd have the WRX. The pictures I had seen... yeah it was ugly... but it had the feel of the 2.5RS I had just stepped out of, and a turbo to boot. Finally after enduring the pain for 8 more months, I broke down, called the Pontiac place to find out what my payoff would be, and called the Subaru dealership to get my car. I had driven one back in August, so I called the sales guy, said "What do you have on the lot?" and when he named the Black WRX sedan without any options, I said "I'll take it. Clean it up and I'll be in tomorrow to fill out the paperwork"

Next in line is my friend that just got out of college. He can't afford a new car, so he's looking for a used GC8 2.5RS around here. Once he gets a job... he'll get one.

·
Registered
2001 STM Sedan
455 Posts
Kinda Sad but good

I was in the market, looking and just waiting for the right time, my grandma had passed away the Monday before and that wednesday when i was getting all my stuff ready to leave thursday morning my brother called and said the car was dead...sure enough no fuel, didn't have the time to figure out the problem, started searching on the internet and BAM my car came up at Carmax which is a block from my work, sent an e-mail got a call at 11 when i was almost about to pick up the rental i was getting, said it was on the lot and i could test drive it if i liked, said i was whipping a u-turn and on my way...got there and she was there. WEnt in, drove it, perfect 5800 miles on it barely broken in. Ran my credit got approved by 3 banks w/ no cosinger and 1g down...drove out of there with my RS...it was a sad week but a good week, my grandma's suffering of cancer had finally come to an end and so did my realm of driving crappy cars...oh yeah just fixed the car that broke(that was in the end of July) the fuel pump relay burned out...i bought a new car cause a $10 relay went bad....WHOOPS!!!! MY BAD!!!

·
Registered
76 Posts
back in early 99 when i was close to graduating from school, it was time to retire the old car (91 Dodge Stealth with 110K miles and some damage here and there) and get a new one when i moved out. I was bascially considering a whole bunch of cars in the RS category of sport compacts including:

Honda Civic Si - a Honda, too common, FWD
Honda Prelude - nice car, but ass for backseat room and a little overpriced
Acura Integra GS-R - Integras too common, cramped backseat space, a little expensive
VW Golf GTi - scary stories of VW reliability and a little overpriced
Mitsu Eclipse GS-T or GSX - a little too expensive for my budget and a little too common
Ford Contour SVT - great driving car from what i hear but cramped rear seating space for a sedan and i have a pretty strong fear of anything FORD from prior experience in terms of reliability

and then the Impreza RS - which caught my attn especially after the new front fascia revision, AWD, unique rally heritage and also the fact that it was DIFFERENT and UNIQUE at the time :)
plus i sat in one, sat in the back seat and it was pretty decent with decent trunk space

My last car being a 2+2 hatchback was fun but really impractical and i needed something that was a better daily driver but still fun as hell. Plus living in Michigan meant i needed a performance car good for all road conditions.

By that point i was pretty much sold and the 8 weeks of wait were probably the longest ever when i ordered my car :)

Ed

·
Registered
73 Posts
I went to a Dr. appt. an hour from where I live. Their was a Subaru dealer down the street. So I traded my '97 Outback wagon on the spot and then cam to meet you junkies. Lifes never been the same since.

Snowman
Bad spellers of the world, UNTIE!!!

·
Scoobymods Guy
2010 Legacy 3.6R Limited
1,157 Posts
I've wanted an RS for a while but never seriously looked for one. When I drove by the dealer and they had one (rare in this area at the time) It would be gone the next day. I took my wife's Legacy OB in for a 30K checkup and they had one on the floor. I said I always wanted to drive one so they moved it out and let me take a spin. I live a few blocks from the dealer so I stopped home and showed it to the wife. My daughter was 2 months old at the time. I said if the car seat fits in the back can I get it? My wife said sure and low and behold it fit fine. She like the looks of the car too. Now she wants me to trade in the Legacy OB and get a WRX wagon so she can have the RS. I think I'm gonna wait for the STi if that comes though. I still love my RS:spin:

·
Registered
136 Posts
The roads of Redding, Connecticut are: tiny.. bumpy.. ultra twisty.. and incredibly dangerous..

I didn't want a RWD monster (Mustang SVT was a possibilty), I couldn't get the Integra Type R I was interested in (I was too late..), factoring in snow and horrible road conditions.. the only options were an AWD coupe or an SUV.

I went with an RS (My dealership finally got one..) after my first test drive..

It felt so secure.. I knew it had significant grip from AWD and performance addons are always an Option..

Still.. If only I found a low mileage 300zx twin turbo...

Overall.. I'm extremely happy with my purchase.. I know I won't be flying off the road anytime soon :)

·
Registered
121 Posts
Well in 1992 we moved futher out in the sticks(kinda)And my wife was driven a Taurus glx.Weather was good fr a few yrs then bam we got hit with snow.Early 96 started lookin fr a car fr her that was more weather compliant.Weve always had 4x4 trucks but she said she was tired of trucks.After doin some research,everything kept pointen to Subaru.Consumer reports etc.So we got a Legacy L wagon,great car no problems wahtsoever.My turn fr new car next,Iwas so impressed with the wagon i went out and got a Legacy GT fr me.Then my son turned 16.He got the wagon,wife got the GT and i bought the RS fr me:devil: .The rest as they say is history.Next car s prob goin to be an Outback wagon(My mom just bought a new one ,sweet ride)or a WRX wagon.Ill keep the RS,it's just too gdamn much fun.

·
Premium Member
overdeveloped beater
8,335 Posts
I got mine after 3months of searching the autotrader online site for a suitable project. It had to be AWD, 5spd, and under $12k. It had to be less than 5yrs old and have less than 60k on it too. That pretty much ruled out the RS's for me, since I couldn't find any at dealers that cheap. Those I did find were either too high, or too far away. I setteled on a 96 base model in SC cuz the price was right, the travel time wasn't too bad and I was desperate.

·
Premium Member
overdeveloped beater
8,335 Posts
I got mine after 3months of searching the autotrader online site for a suitable project. It had to be AWD, 5spd, and under $12k. It had to be less than 5yrs old and have less than 60k on it too. That pretty much ruled out the RS's for me, since I couldn't find any at dealers that cheap. Those I did find were either too high, or too far away. I setteled on a 96 base model in SC cuz the price was right, the travel time wasn't too bad and I was desperate.

I was tired of the terrible traction troubles I had with my V6 Shadow on the autocross courses and frankly, the car was near the end of it's legs after the punishment I dished out upon it. I wanted AWD but not a DSM. Too many of them running around already. Anyone can up the boost on a talon and think they're great. I wanted a project to build up and say I did it my own way. So here I am clinging to the 1.8l while I find the right recipe for sucess with it. Will it get a 2.5? or will it get a 2.5 and a turbo? I have the turbo and some of the pipes needed to make it work. I just need a solid plan and finances to pull it off.

·
Registered
599 Posts
I had a 96 Jetta when the first 98' RS' came out. I fell in love instantly, but couldnt afford it. So I paid my Jetta off and sold it, I was getting an E30 M3 (Actually I had the car, I just needed to pay my buddy)..loan fell apart. I was now car less! AHHHH
Drove down to the VW dealer (Subaru dealer was WAY overpriced for a 00 at the time), and saw a 99 coupe 5 spd. RS on the lot, with 7k miles and it was CLEAN! test drove it, fell in total love with it and drove it home the next day! That was 56k miles , 1 motor and 3 sets of tires ago of pure loving my car!

·
Registered
18 Posts
After a nasty accident in my parents 94 Legacy L (I was a stupid, stupid child), they needed a new car. While browsing for them, I came across the SVX (this was in 1995) and I fell in love. I wanted an SVX so very badly. However, my parents were a.) broke and b.) not going to listen to my advice, seeing as how I destroyed their last car. So they bought a Saturn SL1 (ugh)

Fast forward to my senior year of college (2000), I decide on a whim to check on my beloved SVX...go to subaru.com...it's nowhere to be found. Argh. Well, the sporty looking one is the "Impreza", let's check that out. Honestly, I didn't really like the looks of the old RS when I first saw it.

After a while I was sold, but another senior year in college saw to it that I had no money, so I had to wait a little more and I got a 2002 RS.

Funny note about the dealer: I walked in to the showroom, and the "salesman" thought I was some punk kid trying to get his parents to spring for a WRX. I asked for some more info about the RS, and he hands me a WRX brochure! :rolleyes: I handed it back and told him to give me the RS brochure. He kinda rolled his eyes and went to get the brocure for the rest of the Impreza line...

...2 months later I waved to him as I drove off in my new RS, bought thru a different salesman.

~Paul

·
Registered
01 BRP RS
131 Posts
:sunny:

I researched them for about 5 months, then tried to find one everywhere, but to no avail. The dealer in Northern Utah actually laughed at me when he heard what I was looking for. He said Good luck. after 6 months I found one that fit what I wanted 2001 brp loaded. but I had to fly to Washington with 1 days notice to get it. been smiling ever since.:happynow:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Well I had always wanted a 3000GT VR-4 but it was hell trying to find a good one. then one day my mom said I should look at subaru. So I went down and drove the Legacy. Very nice car almost bought one till I accually drove the RS. Then my mind was made up. I also looked at the Toyota Celica GT-S, Toyota Solara, Hoda Accord EX-V6, BMW 325, and a older boxter porche. The only one with AWD won!:D

1 - 20 of 23 Posts