Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this is the first time I've driven a car with such low profile tires, currently I'm taking advice from a friend of mine who has been doing the "street" thing for a while. These rims came with my wife's WRX and I've wanted a set for ages but never could justify forking out the money on them.

I'm just curious how careful I have to be... Since they're not in produstion anymore I'm being super careful, but if I don't need to be this careful with them I'd be nice to being a little less paranoid every time I go driving!

They're 17" OZ Superleggeras, with 215/45/17's and I'm currently avoiding just about every manhole and slowing RIGHT down for bumpy looking train tracks... I'm used to being on the stock 205/55/16 profile tires and driving through/over everything (within reason)... usually speeding up for traintracks to smooth them out... Any help from people on here would be greatly appreciated. I just spent $200 getting one of the wheels fixed from the previous owners (bent lip and cracked spoke) so I don't want to repeat that!

· Registered
265 Posts
ive had 17" Rotas now for 4 years, 215-45-17.

Ive hit SO Many holes, and no dents. Heeves here are horrible and there is always construction in the city areas. 45's are a pretty big clearnance if you do hit somehting. If i wer you, avoid Big holes and objects protruding the surface of the road. Divits and small holes arent that big of an issue. Maholes especially.

· Premium Member
2001 A.W. L
16,492 Posts
I was told once to brake just until you hit whatever it is, then let off the brake completly.

I dont know if it works or not but I always drive that way...

· Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks alot guys! The friend I was talking to used to run really low profile tires on his GTi so I thought his advice may have been a little on the cautious side. Makes me wonder how hard the previous owner hit the one to bend it and crack the spoke! Tire pressure was probably an issue...

· Ex-Mooderator
2001 RSTi, 2011 WRX Hatch
3,505 Posts
I don't consider 45 to be low profile.

Lots of cars are manuf'd and sold with that profile or lower...

35 is pretty low though....

I've been driving on 225/45/17 and running rocky rally roads and driving through DC potholes... no wheel issues to report.

-- Dave

· Ex-Mooderator
2001 RSTi, 2011 WRX Hatch
3,505 Posts

· Registered
2000 2.5 RS Impreza 4 door
4,253 Posts
One of my superleggeras had a bent lip and cracked spoke as well though both the crack and bend were very small. I dont think the are the strongest rims although they are supposed to be titanium alloy but as long as you keep your tire inflated to the proper pressure you should be fine.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.