Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, how are all of you guys doing in auto-x against the new RS's and WRX's? In my region (Hawaii) We normally rule STS with the GC8 RS's, but this year, a few of us moved to SM because the inspectors said that the subaru 4 pot calipers put us in SM (though I think its supposed to be STX)

Anyway, so far we've been able to hold off the WRX's in SM, though they are getting faster and faster. With some good suspension mods and tires, I feel they should be beating us soon... :curse: Damn Turbos :curse:

I really need a supercharger, or turbo...

By the way, My mods = Strut tower brace (F) JIC flt-A2 coilovers (used to be KYB-AGX with eibach springs) rear 20mm bar, 205/50 17 BFG-Gforce R1A tires on Prodrive P7's, Spt exhaust, and custom intake.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Here in the NEOHIO region, and locally at another club (Akron Sports Car Club) - The WRX's seem to be picking up the pace. A lot of the drivers are relatively new, but have improved tremendously after some schools and a few events. A few of us GC8 guys keep em honest, but as they get their cars dialed in, they're starting to get faster and faster.

Our courses are small and tight, so the turbos haven't been a big advantage yet. I imagine on some divisional and national sized courses, they'll have the faster times.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Locally (Western NC), the 2.5RSes usually hold off the WRXes but the WRXes are starting to get more modded now and some are starting to outrun us. Currently, STS beats STX locally (STX is mostly WRXes around here). But, STX is pretty new so it will take a while to fill up with cars that are actually prepped for STX. Also, many of the SM WRXes are bone stock but have BOVs... :lol:

And yes, you can run in STX with the Subaru 4-pot setup... Any brakes that "bolt up" and fit under STX legal rims are legal in STX.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, I know that STX allows for the brake upgrade, but locally, the tech inspectors classed me and a few others as SM :curse:

Oh well, I guess this will have to do, another RS and I am in contention for the lead in points so far, though the WRX's are really picking up the pace and modding their cars...

Our auto-x track is on a regular race track, about 1 mile long, and basically consists of off set gates lane changes and slaloms to slow us down. Because of this, the track is relatively fast and straight which just makes it harder to keep up with the powerful cars... Our current track sucks...

·
Registered
00' RS, 07 c230
85 Posts
In the San Deigo Region the RS guys rule the WRXers. They are getting faster though.

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
Yeah, I know that STX allows for the brake upgrade, but locally, the tech inspectors classed me and a few others as SM]
but then you'd have to run different tires ;)

locally, all the WRX guys are new, but are getting better. at our divisional event (mid div), the fastest PAX time went to a STS RS. as for DS, on the first day (which was the tighter, slower way to run the course) i beat every WRX in DS outright except Jeff Vogel, who was way ahead (i'm in GS with BFG R1s and EBC Red pads). the next day, alot of the WRX's were quicker, though my combined time would have been good enough for 3rd in DS, only 0.1 seconds out of 2nd (if only i hadn't coned my last run :curse: ). Once again, Jeff was way ahead, but hey, i haven't been doing this that long :)

·
Registered
100 Posts
We have some really good GC8 drivers here in Denver. Rarely have WRXs beat the top couple of RS's. Only one new gen RS that I know of and he is relatively new so i can't judge the cars potential. I'm currently in GS and place ahead of most WRXs. Even when they start discovering the wonders of boost controllers and cheap turbo upgrades we should still have them by the nuts. Like I said there are some really great national level GC8 drivers out here!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts