• No

Votes: 5 9.8%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
'99 2.5 RS Rally Blue Pearl
937 Posts
i removed one but i'm hesitant to remove the one above the battery...aren;t the drain points there anyway?

·
Registered
2001 STM RS coupe
3,229 Posts
I just removed mine. I see them good to have in the winter but it's cool to take them off now. And yeah they have drain holes so regardless of if they're there or not the water's getting in there

·
Don't go changin
00' RS
7,795 Posts
Do it if you want nothing will happen.

·
Registered
95 Impreza Coupe
9 Posts
It makes a decent difference in under hood air temps, you can see the hot air escaping. I removed both last summer and didn't have any problems with rain or snow getting on the battery all winter.

·
Registered
99 M3
4,797 Posts
Remove them, and remove the scoop backing. Lowers the hood temperature and it gives it some function.

·
Registered
'00 2.5 rs SRP sedan
1,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
lol 100% to 0. Ive been meaning to for a while but I dont think about it until I am waiting in line to get on the autox course and my car is overheating :)

They are off now though

·
Banned
1997, Subaru, Impreza L, 2.2L,
2,363 Posts
I have my vents open and it helps out my intake alot. keeps engine bay temps lower. When it rains i usually put the cover back on so the water doesn't go into my intake filter.

·
Premium Member
00 V7 RSTi racingbrake4pots
1,023 Posts
Summer off, winter on for me. It rains like a mofo out here in the winter and cooling isn't an issue so much in the winter.

·
HERO DEEP!!!
Lt. Dan the 2000 OBS
756 Posts
it was the very FIRST thing I did to mine, your engine and filter and battery get soaked when it rains anyways, all this stuff is designed so water wount have any harmful effects, unless of course you submerge it!

·
Registered
MY00 BRP RS
60 Posts
Both of mine are open and when it rains hard I try to put the battery one back on but ran both open fine through crazy rain.

For peace of mine run both open until winter hits, it takes a minute to in/unistall and dont need much cooling in winter anyways.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I remember seeing a photo from somewhere ...cold where the hood was covered with snow / frost. The only clear points (from heat) went straight from the side vent holes to the hood scoop. Hot air for the win! :)

If I could easily patch my hood so it *didn't* have the side vents I'd do it. Probably cost me a bajillion dollars at a body shop though!

·
Premium Member
01 Impreza RS Coupe BDP
1,220 Posts
Keep them open. The positive terimnal has that red little cover thingy.
But if you're not comfortable with them open. Do this mod first Hood vent Spacers
I did the spacers first. then just went to simple open.

·
Registered
05 legacy sdn, 00 rs sdn
840 Posts
my scoops open...and my vents... saw a lot of heat escaping through the scoop... so i opened them up for more vents.... of course my scoop is open to feed my intercooler.... :cool:

·
Registered
01 Impreza RS, Aspen White
275 Posts
open for summer, close for winter. im not worried about my car getting hot in the winter, and since it rains like crazy up here and i go snowboarding all winter, id rather have the covers on just to keep my engine bay a bit cleaner...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts