Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
after running the car hard (i.e. auto-x), come to a stop (keep the car running) and open the hood. wait til the fan comes on. i figured that the air would get pulled through the radiator/fans and then straight up the engine, so it would make more sense to have EVO style extractors, but this is not the case. the hot air goes to the sides of the engine and then up, right where the vents are coveinently located :) another fun test is in the summer when its hot, you can actually see heat ripples coming out of the vents or in the winter, after a light snow, once the car is warm, the snow melts around the vents first. basically, they definitly help in keeping engine bay temps down. which is another reason i put them back on in the winter. i find that without them, the engine gets cold very quickly after being shut off and then is a PITA to start. with the vent covers in place, however, it takes a couple of hours to get the engine really cold again.

·
Premium Member
Two Mini Coopers!
10,629 Posts
And, if you take the block off plate from under the center scoop, then someone can snip the wire to your alarm siren and not make nearly as much noise breaking in.

:rolleyes:

I should put mine back on but I am too lazy... :D

·
Registered
2004 Forester XTi
1,005 Posts
RS25.com said:
And, if you take the block off plate from under the center scoop, then someone can snip the wire to your alarm siren and not make nearly as much noise breaking in.

:rolleyes:

I should put mine back on but I am too lazy... :D
People have avoided this by modifying the scoop blocking plate, relocating the siren, and/or instal an aluminum mesh for looks and extra protection. I currently have a DIY mesh for all my vents, and they look awesome! :p :)

·
Registered
91 Posts
yeah my center scooop has been out for well since i bought the car.... the sides do pull air out. when open. if you have no intake keep em open. the engine will be dirty but hey itll get more hot air pulled out... need proof check i club a thread called vents work or some shiznit... it shows a ice shot with the ice melting and its from the heat beeing pulled out from the air, and vents beeing open. if i get batts. i will take cheap arse digi pics. ttyl.
bRat

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Cool then, I guess im gonna try it and see
how I like em off maybe later ill see about
making the hood scoop functional.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts