Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do I need for engine management and would I be better off waiting for a kit.

I consider myself mildly mechanical. I have purchased a turbo, WRX intercooler, and am shopping for a WRX exhaust system. I have heard that the intercooler can be made to work, and so can the exhaust. I get the mechanics of the turbo, but the engine managment is what is slowing me down. Plans are for this summer, so I have time.

I have read many of the threads on this topic, but would like direct questions and response conversation.

Thanks,

·
Registered
99 2.5 RS-T
838 Posts
Rallynut, you're on LERSOC aren't you? eh, if you are check my posts... if not check out your local club. (ok, sales pitch off) I'm using the GReddy E-Manage and I love it. For 4-5 psi I'm actually running too much fuel through my stock injectors! Plus the E-Manage has timing control, additional injector control, etc. May want to look into it.

·
Registered
99 2.5 RS-T
838 Posts
Lake Erie Region Subaru Owners Club. We've got folks in NY, OH (most are in the Cleveland/Akron area), and PA... I'm active duty Air Force and am in Texas now so I'm the little lost sheep (so to speak). You kind of are coming in at a bad time (server just crashed today and we're migrating to a new host) but please check us out. We're very close, have a lot of techincal background and are looking to expand. The website is http://www.lersoc.com and it may be up and down for the next day or so, keep checking it.

·
Registered
98 RS
27 Posts
Have you had any problems with the ECU relearning around the e-manage?

What other engine management things have you done in addition to the e-manage?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Boy,

What turbo are you using? I am now being told that the Mitsubishi TE04H is too small. What about the RHB5 or a Garrette T25, or T3?

Any suggestions. I want 4 psi, reliable boost, with virtually no lag.

·
Registered
99 2.5 RS-T
838 Posts
Rally nut, I'm using an old RHB5 off a Loyale. In 5th gear I've seen up to 6 psi but since my clutch can't hang on to it I'm only at like 30 % throttle. The RHB5 is techinically too small also but damn is it fun. Full boost instantly with minimal throttle input, drives more like a S/C than a turbo. Problem is, anything over the stock wastegate spring setting (i.e. turning up the boost) things start getting real hot and det becomes a real concern.

Buraddo, So far so good with the E-Manage. I am running a WRX fuel pump and (though I have no gauge to prove it) I think it raised the baseline fuel pressure a bit (I installed it before the turbo and I was definitely running richer everywhere). So far I've had no signs of det (at least audible) but I am having some ignition/electrical issues, loose wire, spark plug gap, rough idle (either need to clean IAC solenoid or adjust TPS). I've also had intake leaks, and stupid things go wrong but so far nothing catastrophic.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Boy,

thanks for answering my redundant questions in both threads. i will try to pay more attention in the future.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Is there a difference between the Garrett t25 and a gt25?

Also, What turbo does the AVO kit that you are currently selling come with?

Thanks

G

·
Rallynut ,

There is a thread in forced induction all about the kit. I can't post all the details here, I don't want to Hijack this thread. You can always PM me.

Thx

1 - 12 of 12 Posts