Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

241 - 251 of 251 Posts

·
Premium Member
2001 SRP 2.5RS/RA/SOHC Monster
2,734 Posts
One fan is more for the A/C anyways, and if you removed the A/C condenser up front, that already increased the air flow through the radiator significantly.

Could always unplug it and do some runs and test the temps to when in use.
:stupid:

·
Registered
97 WRX STi Type-R
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #242
One fan is more for the A/C anyways, and if you removed the A/C condenser up front, that already increased the air flow through the radiator significantly.

Could always unplug it and do some runs and test the temps to when in use.
Exactly my thoughts. Wanted to test it yesterday but came back late from work...
I have two-speed override switches for fans, so I will check it and leave the one that has two speeds, because I believe second one only switches on max speed.

I can't cut any metal from chassis according to my class regulations and suspension pickup points may be limited to stock position which questions possibility of using tubular subframe.. But those are nice mods.. I checked once again yesterday and MSI does front tubular subframe with integrated splined sway bar with billet links... Not only it gives 50+ LBS of weight reduction, but also has options for suspension mounting points for lowering. Everything is great except for price ))) Like.... it's just about the same as market price of my whole car )))

·
Registered
97 WRX STi Type-R
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #244 (Edited)
Went to the track to test the car. Spent some time tuning ECU and quite happy with it now. Boost is up to 1.3 bar although it seems to heat air too much and intercooler can't keep up even on colder day with water spray on..
Anyway, disappointment of the day was the suspension. Our local track has many long slow turns and usually I switch to throttle quite early moving to the inside quite early to minimize trajectory length. Also, being turbocharged, car needs throttle before the apex to have some time to spool the turbo before corner exit. Unfortunately, I just can't put the power down mid corner corner because car lifts inner rear wheel and whenever I apply any throttle it just spins it in the air... As the result, car coasts during long turns slowing down with me trying to balance with throttle and steering to straighten it out where possible to get that tire to the ground.
If I add a bit more throttle, DCCD control kicks in and transmission starts binding directing torque to fronts, but that's usually too much and too late. It helps to run aggressive DCCD maps, but I feel that I need to sort out things in suspension department to ease out life for transmission a little.
I screwed up a bit stiffening rear sway bar on previous trackday and adjusted rear coilovers adding some preload while trying to figure out different stuff with both of these adjustments making the situation worse.. To date I read couple of old(er) threads about this lifting wheel problem and frankly still thinking what approach should I take.
Definitely my springs are on the soft side for my sticky tires but I want to keep them for now and explore the other ways to fix this problem. Also, I read about many cars having same issue with harder springs.

Suspension specs now are:
BC Racing inverted coilovers
5kg/mm front and 4kg/mm rear springs
Whiteline 22 mm front sway bar, 2-way adjustable
Whiteline 24 mm rear sway bar, 3-way adjustable
Whiteline roll center correction and anti-lift kits
"Free caster mod" on front lower control arms
MSI top hats maxed out on adjustment and rotated 45 degrees to provide more camber and caster at the same time.
Rear adjustable track arms + OEM toe bolts replaced with non-adjustable ones.

In the front the plan is:
-sway bar on max stiff
-rotate top hats to max caster position and get as much camber as possible from OEM adjustment bolts
-raise car a bit
all these changes in my theory should contribute to improvement in suspension geometry and roll resistance.

With the rear suspension I need to understand if rear sway bar overpowers soft springs and pulls inside wheel up or I'm just lacking of droop travel. In my opinion it can be both, but considering that now droop travel is only about 25 mm, I will try to check what is the maximum possible and if it will solve the issue. So, plan is to remove all preload from rear springs and maybe lower the rear to reduce roll resistance from the geometry a get more compression travel of outside rear with same spring rates. Sway bar settings are easy to change so I will start with softest one and try it on the test day.

If sway bar overpowers rear springs, probably I can add some preload to help it but it will eventually decrease droop travel, so I will have to disconnect sway bar at all or try a softer one.

I know that without some roll stiffness in the rear these cars don't want to rotate and tend to understeer badly, so this is my biggest concern.

·
Registered
97 WRX STi Type-R
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #245
Finally I decided to ditch the idea of water to air intercooler setup.. unfortunately..
the plan is to go front-mount with rotated manifold. Got myself a cheap intercooler for testing...

Will try to recreate something similar to Lateral Performance setup in terms of packaging... radiator will have to be moved back a bit, but should be possible..
Quite pessimistic about the performance of this specific one because it looks a bit rough and fin density is pretty low..
at least side tanks look good.. maybe it will be possible to use them with another core.
Will test it today with hair dryer and compare with a stock one ))))

·
Registered
97 WRX STi Type-R
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #246 (Edited)
Well, got to the track to test new setup.
Got 5.5 degrees of caster on fronts and 2 degrees of camber on all corners, front sway on full stuff rear full soft, and it's still not working. My friend got couple of outside pictures and it's a mess...

With viscous diff in the rear you can guess what happens when I try to drive through long sweeping turns with steady throttle...
Tried disconnecting rear sway bar - feels better, but understeer gets worse.
It seems that it's time for higher spring rates.
Anyway.. with some dampers adjustments and dccd settings I managed to learn to drive around it, but still 1.5 sec from my personal best.
Also at the end of the day I hurt something in engine and it's now sort of misfires but AFRs are very rich... Limped car home, still need to diagnose the problem...
Disconnecting #1 and #3 injectors does almost nothing to idling engine but at the same it works on those two with others disconnected as well, but much rougher.
Afrs at idle are 14.7 with O2 feedback on but with any load it falls below 12.xx and feels weak...
Any thoughts?

·
Registered
97 WRX STi Type-R
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #247
By the way, intercooler test went great.
I was pessimistic about new one but with 100 deg C hairdryer blowing on full speed OEM intercooler managed to cool that only to 39 C, while new one managed 26.
The measurements where taking after 5+ minutes of constant flow with amient temp at 19 C...
So, looks like improvement.
Of course in real life flows results may vary, but now I'm optimistic about this setup.

Test setup:

·
Impreza Actual
2001 RS-T
1,260 Posts
I also have the rear wheel lifting issue and higher spring rates do not help. My car is 2260 lbs and I am way oversprung at 12k F 10k R. I have a suretrac rear so she spins the inside rear like crazy on the long high speed turns. I have no idea what to do.

·
Registered
97 WRX STi Type-R
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #249 (Edited)
What sway bars do you have?
I think good plated diff should help in any case.
I tuned mapdccd to go almost full lock very early on TPS values, so it helps to transfer torque to the front as soon as possible.
Regarding suspension settings - going softer on rear dampers settings helped me a lot. Further rasing front damping didn't helped much, but I wonder if it helped to raise fronts+rear damping together. My best time was on 15 of 30 clicks in fronts and full soft in the rear. And I would say that while car was definitely lifting wheel it wasn't a problem for a acceleration at this point.
Other than that, probably it's worth to try different spring/sway bar combos with main idea of keeping rears soft so wheels stay on the ground but hard enough to balance front roll stiffness and not to cause massive understeer. Maybe try higher tyre pressures in the rear to loose some rear grip as well..
I'm thinking that source of the problem is weight distribution. Car is front heavy, so you either keep it from rolling with high front roll stiffness but have understeer as the result, or going on three wheels but then you have leak for torque if there are no good diffs to deal with it...

·
Registered
97 WRX STi Type-R
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #251
I believe OEM WRX sway bars are pretty weak compared to your spring. You may try disconnecting rear one though...

241 - 251 of 251 Posts