Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

221 - 240 of 244 Posts

·
Registered
97 WRX STi Type-R
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #221
knock on wood, but nothing I touched broke on the car :)))
Stuff I did mostly works.
Well, It didn't last long though.. Was too good to be true..
Found a leak from power steering connection on the rail...
A made 6AN PTFE hose for high pressure line and thinking that aluminium 120 degree fitting might be a problem... I already had scary experience with cheap(er) swivel AN fitting in my fuel system, but this one I bought after specifically asking seller about using it for power steering..
Wanted to go for steel fittings, but couldn't find 120 degrees one at the time...
Still need to confirm that seal of the swivel connection is the problem, but that's my thoughts for now...
Anyone knows where to get 120 degree steel non-swivel ptfe line hose end?

·
Registered
562 Posts

·
Registered
97 WRX STi Type-R
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #223
Earl's Performance Auto-Fit Hose Ends 492006ERL - Free Shipping on Orders Over $99 at Summit Racing ???

Earl's 151206ERL Power Steering Hose End -6 AN 120 Degree Black Chromate | JEGS ???

I only get get them "brand name" fittings.. like Earls, Russel, Aeroquip or Fragola.
They are still Chinesium but I am hoping QC is better due to reputation that they have to keep up with.
Thank you! I was looking on summit and fond these as well, but unfortunately I believe these require Earl's special power steering hose, not regular PTFE lined hose... And design of those fittings looks like they are made to work with regular braided hose type...

Initially I ordered fittings from this series: Russell Powerflex Power Steering Hose Ends 620421 - Free Shipping on Orders Over $99 at Summit Racing
but trying to assemble the hose I realized that I need 120 degree fitting and they don't have it, so I bought different one for that spot.. It was aluminium and I switched to aluminium steering rack adapters like this: Earl's Performance AN to Metric Adapter Fittings 991954ERL - Free Shipping on Orders Over $99 at Summit Racing
I thought that fittings from same metal will work better...
Will try to confirm what leaks today...

·
Registered
97 WRX STi Type-R
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #225
Lucky you! )))
I have to either keep my own stocks, or get something from Europe or UK (5-7 days)..
There are some local stores of course, but prices sometimes are not that good and I barely can find what I need in stock...

You know, I'm kind of getting confused by the whole concept of these AN fittings.. I can't find something non-swivel and basically all swivel hose end are only as good as seals in swivel connection are..
Initially I didn't looked that deep into design differences of these things and knowing that they are some sort widely used stuff really liked the concept.. Now the more I'm looking at it, the more I hate it.. Everybody comes with own proprietary stuff like special hoses. And why there no non-swivel stuff when you really need it? ))) who deeds this fancy anodized colorful "reusable" garbage when seals inside stupid swivel joint can fail?
Ok, my cheap ebay fuel line kit was a complete failure with seals in fittings dissolved with regular fuel after 3 months of car being mostly parked... I was lucky to catch that in time..
Probably need to figure out real source of power steering fluid leak before blaming fittings again, but I'm starting to see some pattern in this.
Again, I could probably take my old PS lines to local hydraulics shop and get some heavy-duty hybrid lines made, but I made a decision to stick with what I could service myself also thinking that this would be reliable solution, not something that I should fix every 3 months with the car barely driven during this time...

·
Registered
562 Posts
AN fittings are great..
When used properly.

AN stands for Army/Navy and 99% out of a 100 military shit is spot on.

Problem is Chinesium off Ebay knockoffs.

Buy a brand name.
Use the same brand everywhere.. Try not to mix brands.
Dont mix AL with steel.

I've had swivel fittings for years and none of them leaked.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
97 WRX STi Type-R
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #232 (Edited)
The nut that keeps hose on the fitting backed off and that was source of the leak... So... It's kind of my fault, probably.
Replaced the fitting with steel non-swivel fitting, making sure that it's tight :)
Good so far.

Had to drop the rack to check if my steel adapter fits (it doesn't), and overall it wasn't really pleasant thing to do, especially with atf leaking everywhere...
Luckily I had a lift.
Missed a spline on steering shaft so had to adjust toe to get steering back to center.

·
Registered
97 WRX STi Type-R
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #233
Completely forgot...
I also measured front and rear struts and ran some calculations..
It appears that fronts now take 665 kg of sprung weight while rears have only 272.
This means 937 kg of total sprung weight (2066 lbs)
Add weights of wheels, brakes and half of suspension components and you get full weight, but I'm kind of concerned with weight distribution and thinking about what I can transfer to the rear...
Probably windshield washer (bottle which is mostly used for intercooler spray) will go to the trunk... Also fog light probably have to go at this point, but other than that I can't see anything major to improve the situation...
Battery is lithium one weighting only 2 kg and moving it to the back will add more weight in wires.. I planned to remove sound insulation from the interior but this will make the car even lighter in the back..
Any thoughts?

·
Registered
97 WRX STi Type-R
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #235
well, our track is not really fast, I only go 100 mph on the straight and it ends with heavy braking. Most turns are 60 mph max, so I believe that anything except for extreme aero kit is just dead weight...
I'm more looking for something not functional to remove or move functional stuff where possible further to the back :)

BTW, front hood is aluminum..

·
Registered
1995 EZ30 Coupe
464 Posts
Tubed front crossmember, do you already have aluminum control arms?

If you're really hardcore, you should replicate Andy Forrest's Impreza, in which he moved the engine and transmission backwards and used chains to drive the front wheels. :naughty:

Car's looking great.

·
Registered
97 WRX STi Type-R
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #238
Yes, that car is just crazy. Rear-mounted GTR gearbox, chains for front wheels, custom suspension and latest gen aero kit with infinity wings and stuff...
I beileve it was sold somewhere to Germany and frankly I was really disappointed not seeing it in 2019 WTAC entrants list...
Front control arms are aluminium. Tubed front crossmember is a good idea, but all options I saw before were quite pricey... I still try keeping the car simple and on cheap(er) and simple side of things...
Maybe front tubular header might also be a good weight saving mod over stock cast manifold I'm using now. I also wonder if I really need two radiator fans or one will be enough to cool it down, because stock fans are quite heavy...

·
Registered
1995 EZ30 Coupe
464 Posts
I'm sure that roughly stock per levels will be fine with a single fan, I ran my ez30 swap with no fans for a couple weeks till I picked up some slim fans, even traffic was ok if I didn't stay completely stopped. I assume you're making more power than stock though...

Tubed headers will drop a few lb's, ditch the intercooler and run meth lol. Unfortunately it seems like you're at the point where you'll have to start cutting out metal to see significant gains. Or losses, rather.

Plastic intake manifold?

·
95 Coupe, 95 Sedan & 95 Wagon
12,102 Posts
One fan is more for the A/C anyways, and if you removed the A/C condenser up front, that already increased the air flow through the radiator significantly.

Could always unplug it and do some runs and test the temps to when in use.

221 - 240 of 244 Posts