98 2.5RS/95 GF8/01 LGT
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here's what I'll be doing:
1- Acquire EJ20k swap
2- Mate EJ20k with EJ22t heads and install in GF wagon
3- Build an EJ22t shortblock to handle boost safely
4- Mate 22t shortblock with 20k heads w/ high lift cams
5- Build RS trans with short ratio gearset (Tamioka or Type RA)
6- VF43 turbo, UEL headers, 720cc injectors, Haltech ECU
7- While the motor is out of RS, I'll strip the car down to nothing and clean every nook and cranny
8- Roll cage both Imprezas
9- WRC widebody kit and STI spoiler with a fresh coat of paint
10- Put it all back together and get it dyno tuned for 22-30lbs

I've already got the suspension setup I want sans a few braces. I'm really looking forward to these projects, this should keep me busy for a while.
This was an alright plan but I might be throwing it all out the window for a more conservative build for right now. Still going to be EJ22t just not with all the big ticket stuff like a Haltech ECU, new cams, Tomioka gears, or 30lbs of boost. I'm thinking I might limit it to 18-22lbs instead on stock EJ20k RA heads but still a VF48. I have all the parts now to start the engine build sans a few oil seals and bearings.

Attachments

·
Registered
2000 RS sedan STM 5mt
143 Posts
Did you try just putting a new knock sensor on? I've had them go bad before, one had a crack in it. - might be a quick fix to the CEL

And yeah I would try bleeding the clutch, and have a close look and make sure that there's not a leak somewhere, as the rubber hose going to the slave is notorious for pin-hole leaks. -another cheap fix.

Looks great overall. [soapbox time] Forget the "STI swap 2.2 stroker" stuff and don't ruin this nice RS. It's so cliché now, everyone buys an RS and all you hear is OMG SWAP SOMEDAY. Then years down the road you have this clapped-out cobbled car that people just kind of shake their head at. Sometimes you just gotta let the RS be an RS, you know? Then again, I'm one of those crusty annoying purist 'omg keep everything mostly stock guys.' so it's not a huge deal - as long as it's done well I guess[/soapbox time] - ahem; sorry bout that

·
Registered
98 2.5RS/95 GF8/01 LGT
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Updated plans: 1/1/15

I've recently purchased an old GF 1.8L wagon to rallycross while I try to build my coupe to become a 22b/RA replica. The handling is mostly take car of but its still going to be quite the process with the projected power outputs around 400hp with the ability to run up to 500hp safely. It'll be a project reinforcing the drive train to handle that power reliably but should be worth it.

I've been trying to make things go fast ever since my foot's been legally able to hit the gas. My first project was an '07 Mustang that I eventually blew the motor in being a jackass. This left me car-less for a while until I was able to pick up an '01 LGT wagon for 4k out the door. It was game over from there, the mustang just sat in the garage on the back burner (Eventually to get a new engine but has a for sale sign hanging in the window) as I began to scratch at this rash of JDM that was growing and growing. Things went great, then my life got flipped turned upside down but I was still able to keep working away at things. I got to a point where I felt comfortable enough with the LGT to take it rallycrossing, it was awesome. That's when I decided I needed an Impreza though. Some guy was jokingly selling his for like 2k or something and I almost dropped the cash right there but held off. I was able to discover this amazingly clean (for a northern car) RS from a local guy who referenced RS25 when selling it actually. I began my project of turning this thing into a clean track car that looks awesome on the street. My inspiration comes from all the old school STi and JDM pieces but I'm trying to spin them into the ultimate drivers package.

Most Recent Photos: (More pics next page!)

Go Fast:
-Rebuilt EJ25D
-Fidenza lightweight flywheel
-CXRacing Aluminium Dual Core Radiator
-Tsudo full exhaust
-K&N CAI or HKS 200mm SF
-Short throw shifter
-Perring/Whiteline shifter bushings
-New OEM shifter joint
-AC delete

Turning:
-Power steering delete
-Carbon fiber GC8 STi front strut bar
-Bilstein PSS9 Coilovers
-Group N strut mounts
-Whiteline 22mm front/24mm rear sway bars
-'05 STi rear subframe w/ Whiteline lock down bolts
-Adjustable rear control arms, lateral links, and trailing arms
-BFGoodrich 225/40ZR18 g-force Comp-II tires

Stopping:
-Tokico WRX calipers
-Baja bracket upgrades
-Drilled and slotted rotors
-ABS Delete

Outside:
-JDM clear corner and side lights
-JDM Taillights
-JDM Rear spats
-Custom V5/6 front bumper spats
-Konig Runaway 'STi' 18x8" wheels in 'Empire Bronze' powdercoat

Inside:
-V2 STi front Seats
-V2 STi Nardi steering wheel
-Nardi Torino shift knob
-4 point harness
-Alcantara shift boot
-P1 center trim piece w/ button delete
-Radio delete
-EDM White face 160mph gauges
-Billet 'STi' pedal covers
-2.5RS floor mats
-Rear seat strip

Problems:
Owning a vehicle from 1998.

First Post:

The V1 STi seats:

The Konig's curently (being re-powdercoated) on the Legacy

Let me know what you guys think or if you have any insight I'd love to hear it!

Did you try just putting a new knock sensor on? I've had them go bad before, one had a crack in it. - might be a quick fix to the CEL

And yeah I would try bleeding the clutch, and have a close look and make sure that there's not a leak somewhere, as the rubber hose going to the slave is notorious for pin-hole leaks. -another cheap fix.

Looks great overall. [soapbox time] Forget the "STI swap 2.2 stroker" stuff and don't ruin this nice RS. It's so cliché now, everyone buys an RS and all you hear is OMG SWAP SOMEDAY. Then years down the road you have this clapped-out cobbled car that people just kind of shake their head at. Sometimes you just gotta let the RS be an RS, you know? Then again, I'm one of those crusty annoying purist 'omg keep everything mostly stock guys.' so it's not a huge deal - as long as it's done well I guess[/soapbox time] - ahem; sorry bout that
Thanks for the technical info, I'm gonna try all those today and see how things go.

I understand where you're coming from and am not looking to do one of those bastardized swaps that looks like some frankenbeast. While I respect that, my love resides in the clean look of the stock performance Japanese cars, the 22b being my favorite. Don't worry, she'll be looking beautiful when I'm done.

My goal was to have the cleanest widebody Impreza with parts that look like they came from the factory. Clean and mean. Plus I've already got one NA 2.5 so I am really feeling the itch for some boost. Thanks for the opinion. :)

·
Registered
98 2.5RS/95 GF8/01 LGT
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm about to switch over to the Konig 18x8" that came back from powder coating today. They'd be on already but the tire place sold one of my set of four.... Anyways!

A quick shot before the new rims get put on.

I'm really happy how the wheels turned out, you can really see the metallic pop in the sunlight but better pics will have to wait. I'll build a full album when I get my Nardi GC8 wheel in, the Nardi Torino shift knob and V1 seats/harnesses could use the final touch.

·
Registered
98 2.5RS/95 GF8/01 LGT
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I finally got some good shots of my car after mounting the new wheels.

I'm just waiting on the Nardi wheel and the interior should be pretty much done.

·
Registered
98 2.5RS/95 GF8/01 LGT
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had to install a new tachometer because I made a goof when changing the white face gauges over, it looks a little ricey I'm not gonna lie but I still like it with the Nardi wheel.

I've also been slowly replacing my suspension with JDM Bilsteins, H&R lowering springs, and 22mm sway bars.

Lastly, I'm in the middle of swapping over to an 06+ Baja brake set up but I'm waiting on new Tokico front calipers. Here's the rears with the drilled and slotted rotors.

·
Registered
98 2.5RS/95 GF8/01 LGT
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've ordered an EDM gauge cluster from JDMGary so I'll have pictures of that up soon. I also have rear lateral links and control arms I'm going to get on eventually. With all that kind of in purgatory I was able to tackle installing the JDM rear spats.

I think they turned out alright for just being zip tied.

·
Registered
98 2.5RS/95 GF8/01 LGT
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I cut up an STi front lip and fashioned some front spats, wasn't too hard. It turned out alright enough for me to probably keep it on until I do an STi bumper swap.

Here are my kids hanging out in the driveway together.

·
Registered
98 2.5RS/95 GF8/01 LGT
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I installed a new thick aluminium radiator and got the front calipers on today. I've been having some problems with leaking banjo bolts but everything should be all fixed by tomorrow. Now I'm just waiting on my whiteline sway bars then I can possibly try to tackle the beast that is all my links in the rear.

·
Registered
98 2.5RS/95 GF8/01 LGT
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I've been excited about getting everything together. Here are updated pics of the interior and exterior, I couldn't be happier with it right now.

I'm so happy with the Nardi wheel and shift knob and the EDM gauge is working perfect sans the smashed odo.

Once I get the new sway bars in I'll be able to take a shot that isn't in my driveway. :p

Edit: Added a bunch of parts I've ordered to the list.

·
Registered
98 2.5RS/95 GF8/01 LGT
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Things have been rough and I haven't been able to work on my car as much as I'd like. Also, after installing grease fittings on my JDM Bilsteins they still seem to knock. One of my rubber bushings on my lateral link is welded to the hub bolt as well so the new subframe hasn't gone in either.

My solution:
I sourced some used Bilstein PSS9's for a half price with limited miles on them. After I install those I'm going to take the car to my buddies shop and just spin the bushing real quick with an impact.

I'm contemplating sending in the old struts to be rebuilt by Bilstein to just have but we'll see how ignorant I feel after the coilovers.

·
Registered
98 2.5RS/95 GF8/01 LGT
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I was picking my friend up from the airport this morning and stumbled across an abandoned lot. My DSLR was in my trunk so I had to.

These will be the last shots before the new PSS9's get installed.

Bonus engine bay shot!

·
Registered
98 2.5RS/95 GF8/01 LGT
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I snapped some pictures when I was installing the coilovers and other assorted parts. It turns out the old JDM Bilsteins were blown to all hell and knocking terribly in the back. I'm debating sending them in and getting them rebuilt but that won't be for a while.

Here's some stuff to make my shifter crisp. Does not change the fact that the previous owner was in the process of stripping 2nd and 5th though.

[/IMG]
Shinning slightly new Bilstein PSS9's, right after getting them.

Comparing the old with the new.

I'll post some pics when I get the ride height dropped a little bit. My calculations were off on the coilover height and I'm rocking mad rally car height right now. Plus I goofed and broke a strut bolt clean off so I'm waiting for Group N strut mounts as we speak.

·
Registered
98 2.5RS/95 GF8/01 LGT
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Welp, I've been having some issues. I changed out my front strut mounts the other day, no problem, but when I go to test drive it the engine begins with a rough idle then when in gear will just bog down with no power past 3k rpm. Great. So I went into troubleshooting mode and ran down and replaced:
-spark plugs
-wireset
-PCV valve
-coilpack
-fuel filter and lines
-02 sensor

and then cleaned my MAF and a bit of my thottle body. I figured that might do the trick. Nope. It still has a rough idle and smelt and sounded like a go-kart when I started it up. After letting it idle for a bit it would around 1k then drop to 700 while sputtering. I've been listening in the engine bay and it sounds like a misfire for sure. I think I've traced it to the cylinder closest to the driver. I'm guessing it's an injector issue and now that's next on my list.

Oh yeah, I deleted my AC and power steering.

Hopefully I can get this engine issue figured out so I can focus more on this pile of parts in my living room.

·
Banned
1997 Impreza GF4 Obs
18 Posts
How does the car feel without the power steering and the ac, my pump is leaking like a siv and I'm really not interested in spending more money and my ac is shot but the pump is still there. Also did you follow any specific guide you could point me to. Clean RS man!

·
Registered
98 2.5RS/95 GF8/01 LGT
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
How does the car feel without the power steering and the ac, my pump is leaking like a siv and I'm really not interested in spending more money and my ac is shot but the pump is still there. Also did you follow any specific guide you could point me to. Clean RS man!
The same thing happened to me, put on quite a show of white smoke when the fluid hit the block. It's not too bad at speed but below 15mph its quite the bear to drive and you won't be avoiding any school children with ease if it's your daily driver. The feel you get when taking corners or doing more high speed maneuvers is more stable and you're less likely to over correct though.

With that being said all I did for deleting the PS was rip the pump out, cut the high pressure fitting off, then looped it with a line. Use a 27" 5 rib belt and you're done.
Here's a DIY on the correct way I used for reference: http://www.rs25.com/forums/f105/t75177-diy-power-steering-delete.html

The AC was extremely easy besides the bolts close to the engine block but a box wrench and some patience helps.
Here's the DIY thread for that as well: http://www.rs25.com/forums/f105/t134576-diy-removing-your-air-conditioner-c-delete.html?highlight=a/c+delete

All together I've saved 35-50lbs by just ripping things out. An ABS delete would definitely put me at that mark or over.

Good luck!

·
Banned
1997 Impreza GF4 Obs
18 Posts
Thanks for the info man I think im gonna have to end up trying this. Did you also bleed the fluid from the rack and grease the pinion or is that not neccesary, im basically just trying to balance longevity and functionality. Also any tips for the ac did freon come out everywhere? Guess I will have to get crackin today before I bring it in for a new gas tank, the woes never stop :drunk: wonder how these mods would work in unison with a lightweight crank pulley

·
Registered
98 2.5RS/95 GF8/01 LGT
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for the info man I think im gonna have to end up trying this. Did you also bleed the fluid from the rack and grease the pinion or is that not neccesary, im basically just trying to balance longevity and functionality. Also any tips for the ac did freon come out everywhere? Guess I will have to get crackin today before I bring it in for a new gas tank, the woes never stop :drunk: wonder how these mods would work in unison with a lightweight crank pulley
My fluid drained enough that I just cut the lines and called it a day. I'll eventually pack the rack full of grease but if I do that I'd probably just loop the lines on the rack.

It was the same story for the AC. I went to go test it with a screw driver to see if I should take it in to decompress it at a shop and nothing came out. Probably why my AC wasn't blowing very cold in the first place. You can test it with a rag wrapped around a phillips head driver. Never test from the high pressure (H) fitting though. The only freon that came out was from the condenser when I was shifting it out between the radiator.

I've got the lightweight crank installed and the engine loved to rev, I just need to sort out some injector issues and I'll be able to give you a comparison.

1 - 20 of 170 Posts