Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yep. I blew it up today. I started my 05 RS up, still warm, and immediately heard a loud, fast metal against metal slapping, then I lost compression, the car died, and started smoking from the engine. Popped the hood, found a hole on the top of the crank case the size of my thumb, oil was all around it and smoke was coming from the hole. The hole is right on top of the EJ25 stamp:

Bearing? It's pretty close to the center, so I couldn't have thrown a rod, could I?

Let me know what you think. I think it's swap time, but I don't have the money right now.

Kevin

· Registered
1998 Forester on Orange 57F
4,414 Posts
Pieces of rod or piston. Most likely rod. The bearings would not cause a hole. This happened all of a sudden? No bearing noise? No abuse? Very odd.

· wood grain grippin'
v2 STi wagon
4,729 Posts
Pieces of rod or piston. Most likely rod. The bearings would not cause a whole. This happened all of a sudden? No bearing noise? No abuse? Very odd.
Yeah. Very odd. :yawn:

New shortblock. You may need the heads to be rebuilt of pieces of rod/piston introduced themselves to the valvez, y0.

· Premium Member
'04 Impreza 2.5 RS
824 Posts
holy shit, I've only ever heard of that happening when people are running their cars to redline, and it happens right then. Never at startup! Hopefully you're not modded enough to still be under your warranty, that is a manufacturing defect that SOA should fix.

Evil thought: Get a fake VIN, spoiler, blown turbo parts and hoodscoop, make it look like an STi and have them throw a USDM EJ257 in there, ahahhahaha.

· Registered
1998 Forester on Orange 57F
4,414 Posts

18psi and 500whp. And I wasn't at startup :)

This ended up destroying everything in the shortblock and bending 4 valves but no head damage.

At worst you could need a new shortblock and maybe one complete head (Unlikely).

· Premium Member
2007 FXT Sport
5,103 Posts
No warranty mayne. Seriously you can't expect SOA to do anything for you after all your mods!!!

They must have found these pictures.

Sucks dude.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.