Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

121 - 137 of 137 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Impreza 2.5RS BRP
3,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #124
Well, three months later...

It turns out Hogan has corrosion not just on the outer quarters, but the inner quarters as well. Because I'm totally invested in this car and kind of an idiot, I ordered left and right inner quarters to have replaced with the outers.

Turns out the passenger side inner quarter was the last in the world, shipping straight from Japan. The local Subaru dealer I work with was awesome in getting it ordered, but then came a month worth of waiting for this thing to be shipped by boat across the ocean. The dealership continued to check up on the order for the subsequent month, until finally after that month they were told that not only had the panel arrived at the Indiana warehouse two weeks earlier, but they determined that the last remaining inner quarter in the world was damaged in shipping and promptly crushed it without contacting the dealer, me, or taking any photographs of it. Awesome.

The dealer really went to bat for me on this, but the Subaru parts system put no effort into finding or verifying what actually happened, which really left me up a creek, having put a deposit down for labor at the body shop after being told that the part was ordered and on its way.

All said and done, I ended up trading Hogan for Artoo to have quarter work done so that I don't lose the deposit, and I put a minimal interior back into Hogan until I figure out what the next step will be.

I also briefly created a MazdaBrat.

·
Registered
2000 Impreza 2.5RS BRP
3,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #126
Oh, I forgot to include all the unamused faces with this update, so here:

:unamused::unamused::unamused::unamused::unamused::unamused::unamused:

·
Registered
The subaru of many acronyms
1,918 Posts
its an inner panel just chop out all the rust and weld in some sheet metal in a form somewhat resembling what shape it will be, you don't see the inner so just function over form it. or just tub it in the rear lol

·
Registered
2000 Impreza 2.5RS BRP
3,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #129
The inner panel happens to be the strut tower as well, and for the effort I was going to be putting into the quarter replacement, I don't want to deal with a patch that will be vulnerable to rust.

·
Registered
97 OBS
113 Posts
chop one out of a junkyard?

a patch would hold up. i deal with a lot of older cars, newer patch panels have never failed or rusted prematurely in my experience. if it's the strut tower, that can get a little tricky to fab, but not impossible

·
Registered
2000 Impreza 2.5RS BRP
3,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #131
I am keeping an eye out for one from a junkyard, but finding a clean panel in my area is impossible. Hopefully one from the left coast will turn up or something.

And no, nothing fabrication wise is impossible, but it is outside of my ability, and would be cost prohibitive to pay someone competent to do. And if your location is anything to judge, you don't get hit with corrosion like Chicago does.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
There is absolutely no sense in patching anything on his car. There is a lot of decay from the years of driving and some really poor work done prior.

Patching in my opinion is as good as the prep and a cheap solution to prolong issues in some cases. The issue is if you dont get rid of every single spec of rust(microscopic pieces too), it will grow and spread and your back to square one. With doing a minor restoration and complete color change i would not even chance it to have it come back eventually. He has no intent to get rid of the car.

On older cars newer age patches arent always made from good materials and are thinner and crappier then oem. New cars are made of crap material period but replacing with oem panels gives you the best bet to do it right and seal it up better then oem. I work in an extremely high end shop i deal with old cars too :)

·
Registered
2000 Impreza 2.5RS BRP
3,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #134
A buddy of mine ended up losing in a collision with an SUV, and I swapped out my severely dented doors for his:

That's about all the progress I've had on Hogan recently, outside of having my upper radiator hose split, stranding me until I hitched a ride to a local NAPA, replaced the hose, and filled the radiator with water from the Jimmy John's we were stuck at. $8 fix. Hogan rules.

·
Registered
01 STM RS EJ257, 6MT, Brembos
2,029 Posts
Wheres the best place to get a roof vent and related brackets? I have an actual STI roof skin with no sunroof in my car, and I'd like to put the vent there.

·
Registered
2000 Impreza 2.5RS BRP
3,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #137
I cannot believe it's been two years since I picked up that shell... Well, Hogan is still alive, a bit rustier, and Omiotek helped me swap an oil pan before I tracked it last year. The old oil pan was pretty spongy. Good times!

Hogan now has an EJ255/257 oil pan with a Killer Bee pickup and windage tray. And almost 240K miles.

Then I tracked Hogan again (Photos courtesy of Zach Zeppo photography):

And nothing broke! Well, except I finally cooked through the WRX brake pads on it, then another few months later I blew out a piston seal. So now Hogan has the front 4 pots from Artoo to match the rear 2 pots.

I've been busy with other stuff and cars, so I haven't gotten anywhere near that shell swap yet. I can't believe it's been over a year since I've posted on this journal.

121 - 137 of 137 Posts