Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

61 - 80 of 137 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Impreza 2.5RS BRP
3,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
Needs more side shot, and bumper vents!!
:unamused:

Way to come out ahead on the insurance!! That car looks great!! Did you paintmatch the rest of the two tone parts or just the bumper for now.
Thanks! The currently a work in progress, and sometime next year or so I plan to have the rest of the car paint matched. Here's what it looks like so currently:

·
Registered
2000 Impreza 2.5RS BRP
3,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
Hmm... Hogan's telling me it's swap time...

The AC tensioner completely separated and the belt carved its way into the timing cover, coming extremely close to the belt itself. I'm thankful it didn't actually interfere with the timing.

·
Registered
2000 Impreza 2.5RS BRP
3,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
It looks so good with Limpy hiding all the two tone!

·
Registered
2000 Impreza 2.5RS BRP
3,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
Omiotek was nice enough to drive up and trade bumper skins with me:

Now it's only the sides that look gross!

·
Registered
2000 Impreza 2.5RS BRP
3,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
I scored a merged harness on here, so it appears things are moving quicker for Hogan than I expected! Over this winter, I'll be refreshing the EJ205 and trying to make some room in the garage as I part out the rest of the WRX.

·
Registered
2000 Impreza 2.5RS BRP
3,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
The shell was dragged out and scrapped...

·
Registered
2000 Impreza 2.5RS BRP
3,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
It's been a while since I've updated this, but a fair amount of work has been done on Hogan. I ended up having the driver's side rear wheel bearing take a dump on me, so I pulled the hubs off of Toaster and threw them on Hogan. I also threw in some Whiteline bushing equipped lateral links and the old 20 mm rear sway bar from Artoo. Hogan's now quite a capable daily driver.

In other news, I performed a leak down test on the donor motor for Hogan and got 50% pressure on one cylinder and 10% pressure on the other three. I think the valves aren't seating right, so it's time to pull the heads.

Gamblor came over and we started working on the motor from the donor car:

The inlet is trashed and I'll be replacing that, and I'll be replacing the fuel lines and whatnot under the manifold while I'm at it, as well as possibly doing TGV deletes.

We took the turbo off and there's no shaft play, but it appears the oil seals are toast:

I'm now leery of every single used turbo for sale that as advertised as having "zero shaft play," considering there are other things that can be wrong with the turbo.

Then I drained the oil from the long block:

Looks like it's EJ225 time.

Further into the process I removed the timing and ended up rounding off the driver side intake cam gear bolt:

I tried to remove the cam with the gear attached and got some play, but didn't think much of it and gave up then introduced the bolt to my friend Mr. Dewalt:

After three battery packs to drill the bolt head off, I get the cam off and find that the play I felt earlier was because I had been hamfisted and managed to break the cam.

Fortunately, Stallion91 had a set of EJ205 cams locally that he was willing to sell, and I picked them up.

With all the cams off, I managed to remove the heads and found the nastiest head bolts I've ever seen:

Looks like I'll be throwing in some ARP head studs in the block I use.

·
Registered
2000 Impreza 2.5RS BRP
3,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
Unlikely, I'm not really looking to spend money on this build, I'm going to see what pops up locally. I may just try my hand at rebuilding this turbo too.

·
Registered
2000 Impreza 2.5RS BRP
3,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
Lowered Hogan quite a bit:

And also stripped the EJ205 down to the bare block. The wrist pins are stuck in it, I'll have to figure out how to get them out with a bit more force.

·
Registered
2000 Impreza 2.5RS BRP
3,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
While Artoo's been down for maintenance, Hogan took first place in STC in a local autocross:

61 - 80 of 137 Posts