Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
98 2.5RS - V2 WRX Swap
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Get comfy, this is going to be long.

In April, HKC-Speed.com posted THIS wing for sale. I had been on the look out for a wing and when I saw this I instantly recognized it as a rare Burn-up WRC rep wing. I carefully did all the research I could, comparing photos and looking at all the details of the wing to confirm.

I paid for the wing on April 20th. Alan, the guy I've been dealing with at HKC-Speed, said he couldn't ship it for "A week or so." 19 days later, the wing ships on May 9th.

I received the wing on May 17th. Immediately after receiving the wing I tried test fitting it and right away I realized it wasn't for a GC. The base of the wing is much wider than the GC trunk, so wide in fact that mounting holes are off the trunk. This is with it centered on the trunk...

Burn-up Also made this "S6" style wing for the GD. I'm now nearly certain this is a Burn-up GD wing. So, I send Alan some photos and describe the issue.

May 18th, From Alan:
Hi Steven,

The spoiler is indeed for the GC. It was removed from a GC8 in Japan. You might need to drill new holes on the trunk to fit it.

Cheers,

Alan
I reply next day...
Alan,

The outermost holes are wider than the trunk and the base of the wing is more than an inch and a half wider than the trunk. This would allow for only 2 out of 6 holes to be used.

Burn up made the same wing for a GD with a wider base. Just because it was mounted to a GC8 doesn't mean it was intended for it. People have mounted OEM GD STi wings to GC8's before - again - that doesn't make it intended to be used for a gc8. I'm nearly certain this is what this wing is ...

???????????????????????

I don't mind having to drill holes or tweaking something to fit - I know well the nature of aftermarket parts. But no amount of fiddling and no number of extra holes will allow this to fit correctly. It's just too wide. Even with it centered, it hangs off the trunk by an inch on each side.

Please consider any option you have available for a return or refund. I've been extremely patient and flexible with you.

-Steven
Two days later, May 21...
Hi Steven,

Sorry for the late reply, as I am currently in Asia right now.

If that is the case, we will give you a refund on the spoiler. Or are you interested in the Version 6 spoiler that we have? Let me know

Cheers,

Alan
For the next couple of weeks we tried to make a deal on a V5 wing but in the end, Alan took a long time to get me photos and I had my heart set on a WRC style wing. On Jun 4th, I confirmed to go ahead with a re-fund. This exchange followed...

June 6th:

Hi Steven,

Sure, let me process the return for you.

Cheers,

Alan
June 8th, Me:
Hi Alan,

Thanks for doing the return. What's the next step?

Thanks!
June 10th:
Hi Steven,

I will get our guy to paypal you the refund.

Just to let you know that there are 2 version 6 spoilers coming in. Let me know if you want those instead. They are $595 each.

Cheers,

Alan
June 11th, Me
Hi Alan,

Thanks. How are we going to arrange shipping? Can you send me a shipping label?

Thanks!
June 11th. now, he asks if I can hold onto the wing...

Hi Steven,

Can you hold on to the spoiler for now? We will paypal you back the money first.
We will send you the shipping label once we find a new buyer. Will that work for you?

Cheers,

Alan
I foolishly agree to hold the wing for him, trying to be a nice guy. Since I know that its expensive to ship and a hard item to move...I agree...reluctantly.

Hi Alan,

I can maybe hold it for a couple weeks. I'd really prefer not To. I don't have a big garage and it's taking up room. So, if we can keep the time to a minumum sure.

Thanks,
9 days later, June 20th I received a refund through Paypal. This entire time since then I've been trying to get Alan to send me a return label or arrange shipping somehow.

Almost a month later...I ask for an update...

July 12th
Hi Alan,

Any update?

Thanks,
He responds same day:
Hi Steven,

I am still waiting for another member to confirm if he wants to take it. Thanks for holding it for me! Let me know if you want anything and I will give you a discount

Cheers,

Alan
A little over a month later, now two months holding the wing for Alan, I ask for an update:

August 15th
Hi Alan,

any update?

Thanks.
He responds same day...

Hi Steven,

Another member said he wants it but dropped out. I guess I will send you a return slip. Thanks for holding it for us!

Cheers,

Alan
September 1st, 3 and a half weeks later AGAIN I ask for an update...

Hi Alan,

I'd really like to get this resolved very soon. Please send a shipping label when you can.

Thanks,
He responds, same day...

Sorry Steven, we are having problem with Canadian custom if we send the spoiler back to Canada. The custom charge is very high since they consider us bringing good to Canada. Is there anyway you can hold it for a little longer and we will try to compensate on this? Is there any part on our web site that you are interested in and we will give you discount on it? Please let me know.

Thanks once again for holding on it for so long!

Cheers,
Alan
We exchanged a couple of messages about a deal on JDM tails. He offered me a crap deal so I politely declined and ask him to please just get the shipping resolved.

September 9th...
Hi Steven,

Sorry, we actually don't have a high mark up on our parts. I can keep an eye on the STi sport bumper for you though. They do show up once in awhile. Thank you for storing the spoiler for us and we will give you store credit for your future purchase

Please pack the spoiler back in its original packaging and send to the address below:.

Steven Tomanelli
C/O Louis Hui
REDACTED
Tel: REDACTED
Ref: Louis-Return
Value: $100 (if required)

Bring to your closest UPS location or call them for pick-up 1-800-742-5877
Take a picture of the shipping cost & tracking #, and we will reimburse you via Paypal.
We apologize again for causing any inconvenience. As compensation, we will give you $30 credit off future purchases from HKC-Speed.

Best Regards,
Alan
HKC-Speed.com
So, now...after everything he wants me to front the cost of shipping and offers me a $30 credit for holding the wing for 3 months.

September 10th, I reply...
Hi Alan,

Thanks, I'll get it out ASAP. I'm out of town until Tuesday so it will have to wait until then.

No way you can do a prepaid label? Or maybe I can get a quote and you can pay up front?

Thanks
2 weeks later, September 22nd I reply again...
Alan,

I've had the wing boxed up for a week now waiting your response. My last message to you was two weeks ago. Do you have a direct email I can use? I'm not comfortable shipping the wing and paying the cost up front, especially when you've been lacking communication. I'm not fronting you money if I can't even get a response from you in 2 weeks.

Please see my last message and let me know how you want to proceed.

Thanks
September 23rd...
Hi Steven,

Sorry for the late reply, I just came back from the States. Let me ask our shipping department if they can prepare a prepaid shipping label so you don't have to pay up front.

Cheers,

Alan
3 days later, I reply...
Hi Alan,

Please get me a prepaid label ASAP. I just found out I got a new job and I'm going to be moving in the next few weeks. I NEED this gone before then. Please, do whatever you can do to expedite this. I will not be moving this wing with me to my new home.

Thanks.
Steven
2 days later, Sept 28..
Hi Steven,

I will follow up on this asap!

Alan
Then a day later...
Hi Steven,

I would like to confirm the pick up address. Can you send it to me please?
Thanks,

Alan
I sent him my address...AGAIN...right away and have still not heard a response.

This basically brings us up to date. I just sent this today..

October 6th
Hi Alan,

Another week has gone by and this wing is still in my garage, all boxed up and ready to go. I am absolutely fed up with dealing with this thing! Do you realize that we've been dealing over this for almost 5 months?!

As I said in my last note, I got a new job and I'm moving. I need it out of my house. I'm giving you two weeks before I consider this thing abandoned.

AGAIN, if its any easier for you to use email please provide me with a direct email OR phone number to you. It seems you can't keep up with private messages. You can reach me at [email protected] or 616-446-XXXX

Thanks,
Steven

I've been polite, accommodating and I think very reasonable. Obviously I have my money back, but now all I want is the wing gone. I'm seriously about to list my house for sale! He's made several mentions of providing shipping but won't follow up and has been slow to respond lately. Any attempt to get a real email address or phone number has gone unanswered.

So yep, that's the never ending story. 5 months and I still have his wing. Any feedback is welcome! If I'm being an A-hole tell me. However I think I've been more than reasonable.

Come get your wing Alan!

·
Registered
'01 RS+t STM
1,190 Posts
Damn. After a refund and a couple months of needing to hold on to it for someone who couldn't get it together, I would have sold that wing for the storage costs.

·
They call me Garrett
98 RBP V4 STi Swapped RS
4,082 Posts
I'd just stop talking to him and resell the wing. Not your problem if he can't take his mistake back.

On that note.. I'd swing through A2 and make that wing "go away" if needed.. :D

·
Premium Member
98 2.5RS - V2 WRX Swap
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Funny I forgot to mention, before he refunded my money I actually tried to sell it locally but no one bit on it.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts