Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is having high rpms at highways speeds in 5th gear normal? For example I’ll be going 85-90 at around 3900-4000 rpms, is that normal? Or should they be lower than that. I have a 02 Impreza rs with a 05 ej251

·
Registered
1995 EZ30 Coupe
621 Posts
I had an outback trans in my 02 RS, I was spinning 4000 at 80, so your gears could be shorter lol.

·
Super Moderator
2000 RSTi
441 Posts
The 02-05 and 06-07 WRX's have really long gears for a Subaru. Nicer for highway cruising.

Oh yeah, don't get a Subaru 6 speed or pretty much any JDM trans, those are gonna be worse (with very, very few exceptions)

·
Registered
1995 EZ30 Coupe
621 Posts
What about the Spec B 6 speeds? I thought those had much more reasonable gears? Also do you know if those got the cryo treatment like the STI trans?

·
www.jackstalk.com
‘98 RS, 911 Cab, CT6 TT, Escalade ESV
5,553 Posts
If you really want to blow out your eardrums you can get a 4.44, it's useful for driving around in parking lots but anything faster than that and you want to die inside.

·
Super Moderator
2000 RSTi
441 Posts
What about the Spec B 6 speeds? I thought those had much more reasonable gears? Also do you know if those got the cryo treatment like the STI trans?
Those have a taller 5th and 6th than the STI trans. I've never heard the STI getting cryo treated gears. Do they?. My problem with the Spec B transmission is they all have like high 100's to 200k miles on them by now. And they go for about Sti transmission money. And they don't have a speedo gear or provisions to put that in (solvable with one of those ABS to vss devices, if your car has ABS)

But what about the JDM spec B 6mt? You get lower mileage but their 5th and 6th gear is shorter. Probably won't have a speedo gear.

The solution I've found, for people that want the transmission strength, and the same long gearing as the USDM spec b, want a speedo gear, and don't care about Front LSD (possible to swap one in) or DCCD (not possible to swap in): is the JDM Forester STI.

·
Super Moderator
2000 RSTi
441 Posts
If you really want to blow out your eardrums you can get a 4.44, it's useful for driving around in parking lots but anything faster than that and you want to die inside.
I agree and disagree lol. The USDM Forester XT 5mt I used to own had basically 02-05 WRX super tall gears, with the short ass final drive. Effective gearing (in my RS) was very close to stock RS or LGT.

Now if we're talking JDM, I do have one of those DCCD 5mt's, and that was absolutely brutal on the highway! So bad I swapped in a usdm .738 5th gear from a 02ish WRX. Now there's an epic rpm drop between 4th and 5th, but usually a person would be doing triple digits in 3rd and off to jail anyways, so if you drive it sanely that drop isn't really an issue.

·
www.jackstalk.com
‘98 RS, 911 Cab, CT6 TT, Escalade ESV
5,553 Posts
I've driven with guys that have the JDM 444 and they're literally doing 55mph on the highway because any faster and it's just plain uncomfortable on a multi-hour drive. The best 5spd in my humble opinion is the 02-05 USDM WRX because it has that longer 5th gear and is a great highway cruise RPM. IF I needed a cheap 5spd to DD that would be it (even the 06-07 isnt bad.)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts