Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2001 L coupe
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings friends, here's the story...

Car is a 2001 L coupe. All original 2.2L, 115k. Car runs well - I've owned it for about 6 years - I've only ever had to do minor repairs. Rear wheel bearings, idler pulley, front axles. My attention has always been on other projects that I just leave the old 22 alone. Always keep the fluids clean...and that's about all she ever needs. Don't fix what isn't broken. I run an Evo 8 and an N55 BMW, which usually keep me plenty busy, but that changed this summer...

The Subaru exhaust started falling apart badly and and the secondary cat has been crap for years. Just used a o2 bung spacer to keep the CEL off. I knew well enough that every section would be seized so I would just have to replace the whole thing. I went UEL because why not, so now I have a cool sounding, very not fast car. It's part of its charm though. Just finished up doing the front brakes, which involved shearing off 3 out of 4 caliper bracket bolt heads. For those bolts not being threaded through the spindle, the bracket sure took a hell of a pounding to get free. A few guide pins were seized up too, so now that we're lubed up with a decent rotor and pad, not only does the car sound cool, but it actually stops pretty well and has some feeling in the pedal lol.

So I'd like to embark on a simple tune up. After all, I do love this car and I will never sell it despite my wife's wishes. I have absolutely no reason to sell it as it's worth much more to me as a solid running car than any dollar amount it would ever fetch. It would be nice if the car had a little more utility, but it's an ej22, why would I ever sell it?

What worries me is the age of the car and the fact that I think much of it is legit original equipment. I made the guy I bought it from do the belts so I know they're ok for now. I'll inspect and change the air filter - no worries there. After that I'd like to change the ignition components. So for the gentlemen in here who have been tinkering with old subarus much more than me, is there any cause for worry with retrieving the spark plugs? I honestly think they are original to the car. Everything on this car has been seized. Getting the exhaust gasket material off the head took a few DAYS and tons of patience. The brake caliper brackets were ridiculous. The car runs ok right now. My attention just happens to be focused on this car and I'm in the mood to freshen some items up so maybe it will run good instead of just ok. What I do not want to do is find seized spark plugs and have to gouge the heads to get at them and end up destroying the threads in the process.

What I'll end up doing is applying moderate torque to the plugs. If they don't feel like they are going to budge, I'm just leaving them in there. I just wanted to consult with some of my fellow GC/M/F boys to see if there's some knowledge out there about yanking on really old spark plugs.

Thanks for reading

·
Premium Member
2001 SRP 2.5RS/RA/SOHC Monster
2,795 Posts
Just change em dude. No big deal. What I really wonder is hot the hell it took days to get the gasket material off of the heads.

·
Registered
2001 L coupe
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. I know its no big deal to change spark plugs, but I'm specifically asking about those who have had to pull plugs that have likely been in place for close to 2 decades.

In regard to the gasket material - the car must have developed a leak at some point and some hack ass mechanic used a completely inappropriate compound to seal up the gasket mating surfaces. My guess is that it was jb weld. There is also scoring around the ports to suggest a wire wheel was used. So it's likely that some ass hat used wire wheel to clean up the surface, realized he destroyed it in the process and then used the most aggressive compound he could to seal it up. I got it as flat as I could and used copper rtv to help close it up. Seems to be doing ok. The car came from downstate NY (read NYC) so there's plenty of dbag mechanics who would pull that type of crap.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts