Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
1998 impreza 2.5rs
703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I was driving home from work, and my high beam light in the car (the blue one) was kinda faded, I couldn't tell if my high beams were on, and it was slowly getting brighter the more I drove. Once there was nobody in front of me I flipped on my high beams and they shone bright and the blue light inside the car got bright telling me that they were on. I turned them off, and the blue light didn't go off, and neither did the high beams. If I turn my lights off, they go off, but when I turn my headlights on, with or without the high beams activated, the high beams turn on. I can not revert to normal headlights without high beams.

My conclusion is that I need to replace the headlight stalk attached to the steering wheel, probably the switch went bad. Sound about right? If anything else went bad, I would imagine they just wouldn't turn on, but not turning off seems like a bad switch. Anyone agree, or is there something else I should check? Maybe now is the right time to replace the other one with the ol' intermittent wiper switch as well. Any fancy options for the headlight one, or are they all the same? No crazy cool must-have jdmYO headlight stalk conversion?

· Premium Member
98 swapped 2.5rs Rbp and CF
623 Posts
Did the headlights get dim at all? Sometimes when you have a dying battery or alternator it messes with things. Just a thought?? I know when I had problems with my eclipse alternator my headlights would be one of the first things to have problems. The highbeam light would light dimly and then other accessories would start to malfunction too.

· Registered
1998 impreza 2.5rs
703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There's no change at all when I switch back and forth from high to low beams, nothing dims inside, nothing happens at all, just high beams being on. Only difference is when I turn it off entirely, then it turns off. Alternator is new. Battery SHOULD be fine. No other problems though. None electrical, at least.

· Premium Member
2001 A.W. L
16,492 Posts
mine does/did this...

when the high beam light was dim = one of my headlights was dim
every now and then my high beams would get stuck on too, when it got worse and the indicator light would get stuck on I would actually have no headlights at all...

For me it was the head light connector melting, if I jiggled the connector everything would go back to normal... Eventually I had to replace the connectors all together

· Registered
1998 impreza 2.5rs
703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
mine does/did this...

when the high beam light was dim = one of my headlights was dim
every now and then my high beams would get stuck on too, when it got worse and the indicator light would get stuck on I would actually have no headlights at all...

For me it was the head light connector melting, if I jiggled the connector everything would go back to normal... Eventually I had to replace the connectors all together
Cool, thanks, I'll check it out!

· Registered
1998 impreza 2.5rs
703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I called the dealership, they said to replace the bulbs first. I was like, well I haven't tried that, so I might as well. Just replaced them, nothing fixed. So I called back and got a quote on fixing it. 300 dollars! Fuck that man, that's crazy talk. 100 bucks to diagnose, and 200 bucks for parts (I assume it's the turn signal/headlight stalk, they told me earlier it's 200 dollars.) They said it probably isn't the relay because it has two of them, one for each light, and it would be weird for them both to go at the same time, so it's probably a short, or bad ground, or some shit. I'm poor, this sucks. I guess I'll be blinding the shit out of people 'till I can get some money. Sorry to all you in beaverton that I blind with my high beams.

Why do the intermittent wiper stalks seem to go for like 25 bucks on here, and this damn headlight stalk seems to go for 200 bucks?? What the hell?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.