Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
01 STM RS EJ257, 6MT, Brembos
2,509 Posts
+1 for H4. Also, I've had HIDs in the stock halogen housings on my '00 RS and they scatter light like crazy. The best way to do it truly is to retrofit a projector. I'm back to halogen bulbs now because HID kits aren't known for their reliability either. OEM truly is best. But you will probably have to learn that lesson for yourself.

· Registered
Non-RS
2,557 Posts
its h4, but i wouldnt buy a cheapo hid kit...do a real retrofit with oem components. there are threads all over the boards about it and check out HIDplanet.com forums to get some ideas.
Some kits aren't as horrible as they seem. I have an OEM Lexus set of bulbs made for reflective housing and ballasts. Haven't installed them yet but I've seen them in other cars not made for HIDs and you'd never notice unless you were really trying to. They hardly scatter. The chinese ebay kits are a different story, though. If you can get an OEM set from Acura/Lexus etc it would be cheaper..but, you get what you pay for. Doing it the "right way" costs $800-1000.

· Registered
'00 RS w/ 05 STi swap
464 Posts
ive found tsx, e46 bi xenon, and other projector setups on ebay for a lot cheaper than 800. if you buy brand new its in that price range but i bet if you searched long and hard and are creative you can come up with a nice retrofitted hid kit. That idea with the lexus reflection housing hid is a cool idea too - any pics of the parts? i have e46 retrofits and really enjoy them

· Registered
2000 2.5 RS Impreza 4 door
4,253 Posts
Some kits aren't as horrible as they seem. I have an OEM Lexus set of bulbs made for reflective housing and ballasts. Haven't installed them yet but I've seen them in other cars not made for HIDs and you'd never notice unless you were really trying to. They hardly scatter. The chinese ebay kits are a different story, though. If you can get an OEM set from Acura/Lexus etc it would be cheaper..but, you get what you pay for. Doing it the "right way" costs $800-1000.
Yea, OEM HID reflector type bulbs are D2R bulbs. They will not fit our headlights. Not only that but HID Lexus headlights are designed for HID bulbs, even if the bulb could be seated correctly in a non-HID reflector the optics of the reflector do not match the bulb.

Doing it the "right way" would be doing an HID projector retrofit and that can easily cost less than $500.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.