Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
HEY! all RS-T owners post your mods, pics, and 1/4 mile times here. I'm interested

Hi there,
I am soon to be buying the stage two turbo kit for my 2001 2.5 rs from LudeSpeed. I am kind of scared to get it because I have heard bad things and good things but I think I have decided to get it. I want to see if others out there with turbocharged 2.5 RS's are not having any problems with a 25 RS Turbo'd. If you have seen problems about turbos on 2.5's please tell me all the details.

I want to see what some of these turbocharged 2.5's can do so please post your pics, modifications done to your car, and 1/4 mile times your car has done (also proof of times if possible). Please also post prices paid too.

Attachments

·
Registered
852 Posts
Turboing a 2.5 can be done, and done well. Depending on how much money you want to spend, certain obstacles that can lead to engine destruction can be prevented. I personally run a custom turbo setup on my RS, which I installed, though I did have custom fabrication work done to mate certian parts together. My car was down for three weeks, had to towed five different places, and has at least 40 hours under the hood for the install.

My Kit:

Legacy RHB5 w/internal wastegate @ 5 psi.
Legacy turbo uppipe (no cat) w/20 mm spacer
WRX OEM turbo-back exhaust (Stromung axle back)
RalliSpec TMIC w/Greddy Type-S BOV
Legacy turbo exhaust manifolds
Legacy turbo cross-member and swaybar
Vortech FMU with 8:1 plate (RRFPR)
ACT Street Clutch (rated @ 302 lb. ft. of torque)
Apex S-ITC
J&S Safegaurd
GReddy 52mm Boost, EGT, Fuel Press.
Custom intake and turbo piping
Walbro 255 lPH fuel pump

This entire setup ended up costing me almost exactly $3500.
If I didn't do most of the install myself, it would have cost me much more, but the fabrication and expensive BOV and such boosted up the price considerably (I know of other guys who have done this turbo setup for less than $2500).

As far as times, I cannot expect anything better than around 14.5 in the quarter since guys with this same kit have run times right around that. Also, and I could probably do a little better but I don't want to destroy my tranny. 0-60 times in the low 6's, but I once took a stock REX by three-four car lengths to 60, but he mishifted so we would probably be about even.

Probelms, no major ones and the kit has been in for about three months. My fuel pressure is actually my only concern right now, since at idle I have 50 psi pressure. I highly recommend getting an adjustable baseline fuel pressure regulator, such as an SX or SVX regulator. Baseline idle should be around 34 psi.

It can be done, just do it right the first time and you'll be fine.

Graham

·
Registered
240 Posts
Not to much done here:
Ludespeed stage 2
EJ22T engine
NOS (yes, Nitrous Oxide Systems ;) ) 50hp intercooler fogger

That's about it except for some other small goodies. Stock clutch still so I can;t really enjoy the car.

Eric

E

·
0 Posts
Minnam racing stage 2 on a 98 RS. I hven't had it at the track recently, but when I did, I still had the stock clutch and only ran 5PSI. It was at maple grove raceway, The racetrack heat index was 102degrees, I ran a [email protected] MPH with a bad launch(2.2 60' times). since then I replaced the head gaskets and added a ACT clutch, Vortech 6:1 fmu, and a manual boost controller set at 8PSI. It runs so much better now, it feels like mid 13's in the quarter. The whole kit cost me $4200 plus $500 for they're 3" exhaust. Honestly, I'm very glad that I spent the money on it!

Attachments

·
Registered
852 Posts
EJ, I don't even want to ask why your running a MBC. I have heard of and seen horror stories with MBC's on low boost cars. If I ran any sort of boost control, it would be electronic, as MBC's just are accurate enough and are prone to spiking at low boost.

Graham

E

·
0 Posts
The only horror stories I know of with MBC's are from people that can't leave well enough alone! I haven't had any spikes or trouble with it at all. I set it once and its been fine for three years. If you buy a good quality controler then there shouldn't be any problems. There is not much that can go wrong with a MBC compared to an EBC. there is only a spring and a ball! With EBC you can run into several problems with the electronics,and besides I'll take the $500 I saved and buy something else!!

·
Premium Member
1999 OBS Steel Blue Mica
256 Posts
mbc = blown engine. (assuming low boost application)

It's as simple as that.....

Me -
Forced Air Tech Stage II
Vishnu fuel rails
TEC-II
3" Catless Stromung Exhaust
Trannyless :(

E

·
0 Posts
You can't blame a blown engine on a MBC. You should blame the person that installed it! The MBC will only do what the tuner sets it to do! I've had 5 turbo cars, all with MBC's. I've never encountered a problem with any of them. I still own three of them and 2 of them are daily drivers! And on your theory 3/4 of the diamond star community have blown engines cause they all use MBC's! I don't think so! I would understand blaming it on the MBC if you made it yourself with leftover parts from the bottom drawer of your toolbox! I just have a bad feeling that this rumor gets started by vendors, just so they can unload All of these over priced gadgets that flash and make noise and accomplish the same thing that a MBC at a 1/5th of the price! boost spikes are caused by the wastegate not being the proper size. You all need to read the new issue of TURBO mag. there is a good article on EBC and how they ALSO tend to spike!!!! They're theory is, save your money and go MBC!

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Graham said:

My Kit:

Legacy RHB5 w/internal wastegate @ 5 psi.
Legacy turbo uppipe (no cat) w/20 mm spacer
WRX OEM turbo-back exhaust (Stromung axle back)
RalliSpec TMIC w/Greddy Type-S BOV
Legacy turbo exhaust manifolds
Legacy turbo cross-member and swaybar
Vortech FMU with 8:1 plate (RRFPR)
ACT Street Clutch (rated @ 302 lb. ft. of torque)
Apex S-ITC
J&S Safegaurd
GReddy 52mm Boost, EGT, Fuel Press.
Custom intake and turbo piping
Walbro 255 lPH fuel pump

This entire setup ended up costing me almost exactly $3500.
If I didn't do most of the install myself, it would have cost me much more, but the fabrication and expensive BOV and such boosted up the price considerably (I know of other guys who have done this turbo setup for less than $2500).

Graham

How did you get this turbo kit for so cheap? Where did you go for the parts? Could you help me out on finding and getting a turbo kit for that cheap? I planned on buying the stage 2 from ludespeed and paying extra for the J&S safegurad and then I would have to pay around $300-$500 for an exhaust and also for a clutch another couple hundred. How did you get all that for so cheap, could you maybe help me out?

·
Premium Member
1999 OBS Steel Blue Mica
256 Posts
ej25turbo, what part of

mbc = blown engine. (assuming low boost application)
did you miss?

DSM's and WRX's all run high boost (over 8 psi) whereas most all stage I, II and III kits for the RS (t3/t4 hybrids) run 5psi. I agree that in high boost applications (again, over 8 psi) the installer is at fault if they blow an engine.

But you can't tell me that a MBC is designed to hold 5psi of boost. That's why every single kit sold by Vishnu, Forced Air Tech and Ludespeed come with external wastegates with 5-7 pound actuator springs.

Again, to clarify some points...

DSM's and WRX's = smaller turbo's with higher boost
RS-T's = big turbo's with smaller boost

> 8psi = high boost application that most RS-T's will never see
< 8psi = low boost application that most RS-T's will be stuck in

Are we clear?

E

·
0 Posts
I also know three separate people with EBC's that can't get it to hold boost lower than 10PSI. Also if you have an external wastegate you shouldn't have any problems with boost spike! How can you justify spending$500-$600 on a EBC when all you need to do is change the spring in the wastegate! They have them preset 3/5/7/9PSI/etc. All it goes back to is a "quality" MBC. That is also why Turbo XS makes a LOW BOOST(very accurate anywhere below 15PSI) and a HIGH BOOST contoler(15PSI and up) All I'm saying is buy a QUALITY unit, either way(MBC or EBC) you take a chance of blowing a motor! As for the magazine article, its in SPORT COMPACT,not TURBO.

·
Registered
852 Posts
How did you get this turbo kit for so cheap? Where did you go for the parts? Could you help me out on finding and getting a turbo kit for that cheap? I planned on buying the stage 2 from ludespeed and paying extra for the J&S safegurad and then I would have to pay around $300-$500 for an exhaust and also for a clutch another couple hundred. How did you get all that for so cheap, could you maybe help me out?

Well, in the last sentence it says "some guys have done this will as little as $2500". I would find that to be pretty cheap, $3500 is not what I expected to pay. Just recently I was at a Subaru meet and I had my RS-T there along with another RS equipped with a Ludespeed Stage II kit. I don't mean to brag, but EVERYONE there agreed my setup was much nicer than the Ludespeed, but you get what you pay for. The custom intake and charge piping cost me $800, so that was pricey (this also included putting on my WRX turbo-back exhaust and tapping my front O2). One reason I kept the price down is because of the use of factory Subaru parts, which includes: Legacy uppipe, crossmember, exhaust manifold, used WRX exhaust ($100).

Your right though, for what I got in this kit it is much higher quality than Ludespeed (my opinion). Some things in the kit drove up the cost, such as the RalliSpec TMIC, Greddy BOV, GReddy gauges (EGT, boost, Fuel Pressure).

If you want to learn more about a custom turbo setup utilizing Legacy turbo parts, check out this site, it outlines EVERYTHING you need:

www.nothingserious.net

Also, here are some pics of my car so you can get some ideas:

www.pbase.com/graham222

·
Registered
2001 2.5rs-T
391 Posts
Ihi turbo off an older WRX I think it was 96?
custom up upipe
modified cat(my down pipe)
wrx intercooler
used J&S safe guard
Vortech rising rate
Turbo smart FCD
Thermal flex hoses

cost a little bit above 1500.

Later added:

CAI
Holley/nos Fuel Pump
Adj rising rate
NOS 80 shot
STi intercooler inlet
Turbo smart Manual Boost controler

Amount invested 2200.

I'm a happy camper. Not to much and mine is a daily driver. I'm no running 13-17 psi on cold nights(slight pinging under the sun)

FYI there is a serious difference when running 13 psi on an ihi
turbo than a garret turbo. On the garret it should be about 10 psi

I think a FMIC and a t3/4 with remote waster gate would do a lot better, should bring me into the 250 hp mark.

And I have stock internals.

·
Registered
29 Posts
jdmimpreza said:
Ihi turbo off an older WRX I think it was 96?
custom up upipe
modified cat(my down pipe)
wrx intercooler
used J&S safe guard
Vortech rising rate
Turbo smart FCD
Thermal flex hoses

cost a little bit above 1500.

Later added:

CAI
Holley/nos Fuel Pump
Adj rising rate
NOS 80 shot
STi intercooler inlet
Turbo smart Manual Boost controler

Amount invested 2200.

I'm a happy camper. Not to much and mine is a daily driver. I'm no running 13-17 psi on cold nights(slight pinging under the sun)

FYI there is a serious difference when running 13 psi on an ihi
turbo than a garret turbo. On the garret it should be about 10 psi

I think a FMIC and a t3/4 with remote waster gate would do a lot better, should bring me into the 250 hp mark.

And I have stock internals.
How long have you been running this setup? have you had any major problems? are there any alternatives to using the J&S safeguard?

·
Registered
2001 2.5rs-T
391 Posts
tamxdx said:

How long have you been running this setup? have you had any major problems? are there any alternatives to using the J&S safeguard?
I've had this set up since Jan. No real problems. I wouldn't use any other stuff other than the stuff that John makes at J&S.

·
Registered
852 Posts
You're running up to 13 psi on stock internals with not engine management?

And you say no problems, hmmm, I'm interested to see what the future holds.

Graham

·
Registered
2001 2.5rs-T
391 Posts
dont' jinx me.
To clarify its not consistent 13psi. This only happens when I hit the NOS. I am getting ping'ing when at this level. An engine build up is for sure in the near future but I won't do it till it blows.

·
Registered
Project Frankenstein
479 Posts
2.2L US spec '93 Legacy turbo motor
stock '96 1.8L ECU :borg:
stock Legacy headers & down pipe
2.5" custom midpipe & muffler
Dawes Device MBC
K&N cone filter w/custom air box
still on stock 1.8L tranny for the next 2 weeks until the JDM WRX tranny gets put in.
'02 WRX intercooler...not on car right now (piping issues)

currently running 6-7 psi around town & up to 10 psi for autocrossing :boxer:

·
Registered
83 Posts
And you say no problems, hmmm, I'm interested to see what the future holds.
Graham,

Let me rub my crystal ball...uh, wait, here it comes. Ah, I see it now...

Attachments

1 - 20 of 26 Posts