Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Impreza is a 1997 2.2L with almost 80,000 miles on it. This problem has been happening since about 45,000 miles. If I try to "floor it" from any RPM under 2,000 the engine bogs down and almost stalls. I tried a different MAF sensor, and that didn't solve it. The problem seems to be getting worse very slowly. I think it may be the fuel filter or O2 sensors. I know that it is not my intake because I tried putting the stock intake stuff in with a brand new MAF sensor, and it didn't have any effect on the bogging. On the exhaust side all I have is a muffler, so I doubt it is that. Anyone have any ideas? How often should the fuel filter be replaced?

-Andy

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Replaced the fuel filter..the problem persists. It seems like if I hammer the throttle at anything under 2000rpm, it bogs. Very irritating. If anyone else has any ideas, let me know.

-Andy

·
Premium Member
2001 Subaru Impreza RS
586 Posts
We had an 85 GL wagon and it had this exact same problem. We replaced the fuel filter and it did nothing. We attributed this hesitation with the engine just being old.:confused: But we did notice that a grounding wire that went to the carb was disconnected so we reconnected it and it helped a little. I realize your car isn't carbeurated(sp?) but any info is better than none.

Nick C.

·
Scoobymods Guy
2010 Legacy 3.6R Limited
1,157 Posts
Change your plugs and or wires at all? I say do the plugs first if you havent also check the connection of the plug wires at the coil pack and make sure they are clean.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have not changed the plug wires. The plugs themselves are fairly new, and I checked them for undue deterioration and saw none. I messed with the Throttle Position Sensor, and it didn't really help. I disconnected the O2 sensors to send the ECU into loop mode, but the problem still persists. I may buy plug wires when I can afford it. Thanks for all the help so far. Any other ideas?

-Andy

H

·
0 Posts
RallyImprezive said:
I have not changed the plug wires. The plugs themselves are fairly new, and I checked them for undue deterioration and saw none. I messed with the Throttle Position Sensor, and it didn't really help. I disconnected the O2 sensors to send the ECU into loop mode, but the problem still persists. I may buy plug wires when I can afford it. Thanks for all the help so far. Any other ideas?

-Andy
IIRC the plug wires for a 2.2 should be available in a kit for under $40.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts