Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

41 - 60 of 200 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Impreza RS
4 Posts
So I had a hesitation only when I would accelerate hard between 3-4k RPM then after 4k it would break free and I would get power again. So I thought it could be the cat being clogged. I have no CEL. So I put my new exhaust on, Borla replica header, 2.5" N1 catback with resonator. I also proceeded with my stock cat pipe. So that night I was cruising around, getting on it a little bit still having my hesitation. Then next time I got on it, I had no hesitation! It remained like this for a good 3-4 days. And now just out of the blue I have the same hesitation. I am thinking I have a clogged cat maybe? When I increased the diameter, more air was allowed out the exhuast moving around the broken pieces in the cat and now they have setteled back down and clogged it again?
Any help with this? Only other thought is maybe a TPS or dirty MAF?
I'm having the same type of problem, except it happens whenever I use more than about 25% throttle and it'll hesitate between 2500 and 4000 rpms. after 4000, all power comes back. my car has an ej20 block with ej22t heads, stock baja turbo, stock wrx downpipe, stock wrx tmic, 4.5 psi boost, ej18 ecu, ej18 220cc injectors, walboro 255 hp fuel pump, and intake. I can't seem to find a single solution to this problem and a couple mechanics I've talked to online, haven't said anything back.

·
Registered
01 2.5RS, BONE STOCK
49 Posts
i have a really bad hesitation

car: 1999 impreza 2.5rs 2 door 5 speed

mods: ebay shi, cobb double adjustable short shifter, no muffler

symptoms: really bad hesitation throughout the power band at 5000 rpm its like it hits the rev limiter and will not rev any higher. i am way down on power, and this might be irrelevant but i have white smoke out the exhaust, but i just had my head gaskets replaced. i took it to a master tech at the subie dealer and after 2 days he found nothing, so i took it to mac and the recommended plugs and wires so i did that and 44K and nothing has changed.

little help.
EXACTLY my issue. Like a hit a freakin rev limiter at 5k.. Did you ever figure out what your issue is?

I'll elaborate a bit more - From a stop, if I go straight to WOT it will bog then rev up. seems like it has ok power from 1 to 3500 to 4k then after that, revvs SLOW and at 5K under load (fwy, WOT) feels like a rev limiter, will sometimes go above then it hits the phantom 'limiter' again.

Just changed the front o2, im going to try the rear and the normal tune ups. Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
01 2.5RS, BONE STOCK
49 Posts
what do you have done to your car for engine performance, if anything.
Just added some more info to my post - but other than that, the motor is 100% stock. Stock intake, Stock exhaust, 4EAT trans (that interestingly enough makes a buzzing noise when the gas pedal is depressed).

I also want to try changing the TPS so see if that may be a part of the problem...

·
Registered
MY04 WRX STi Silver
1,504 Posts
Could be a number of things (maf, map, crank angle, coolant temp etc) take it to a dealership and have them look at it. Because its stock you can rule out poor tuning like most of us suffered from on here.

·
Registered
01 2.5RS, BONE STOCK
49 Posts
Just added some more info to my post - but other than that, the motor is 100% stock. Stock intake, Stock exhaust, 4EAT trans (that interestingly enough makes a buzzing noise when the gas pedal is depressed).

I also want to try changing the TPS so see if that may be a part of the problem...
Changed the secondary o2 that threw a code. No help. Hesitation at idle is still there, low power in top end VERY MUCH still there.

jdnisevil - thats really a last resort for me. Im here on rs25 because id rather fix the issues myself, then roll over for a dealer. Im sure thats what the majority of other people here would do as well. Im looking for other people that have had a similar issue and what they have done to resolve it. Thanks.

·
Registered
2006 Impreza 2.5i
27 Posts
Since i don't see any 06-07 2.5i guys with this problem... i have a slight hesitation/jerk @ 1800ish RPM under partial throttle. It's happens randomly, day or night, but mostly in the cooler night air. The car is completely stock, no CEL and only 29k miles. It happens no matter what gear i'm in.

Anybody with a similar experience? What did you do?

·
Registered
21 Posts
i have a 00 impreza 2.2 and every time i pull out it boggs until it reaches 2500 rpm then it takes off. i replaced fuel filter and put seafoam and fuel injector cleaner in it. none of the sensors are throwing codes. the only codes that comes on is the catalyst diffeciency code. any suggestions what it could be? thanks cody

·
Registered
HAD*99,obs,aspen white.
193 Posts
i have a 00 impreza 2.2 and every time i pull out it boggs until it reaches 2500 rpm then it takes off. i replaced fuel filter and put seafoam and fuel injector cleaner in it. none of the sensors are throwing codes. the only codes that comes on is the catalyst diffeciency code. any suggestions what it could be? thanks cody
Bump on this.

I have a 99' obs with a phase one 2.2 (maf) that out of nowhere started doing this. Its only under full throttle that is bogs down til 2500 rpm then it takes off like normal.

**UPDATE**
The problem is growing worse with lag/hestitation throughtout the power band. The car is gutless now.

-It sounds fine (no knocks or pings)
-Idles great(unless cold, then it almost dies.)
-Runs rich. I'm going through fuel quick.
-no torque at all.
*note i have a failing cv front axle*

So rich and falling on its face non stop. Idles so-so. Sounds fine(no pings or ticks). THOUGHTS?

·
Registered
01' Impreza 2.5RS Red
18 Posts
EXACTLY my issue. Like a hit a freakin rev limiter at 5k.. Did you ever figure out what your issue is?

I'll elaborate a bit more - From a stop, if I go straight to WOT it will bog then rev up. seems like it has ok power from 1 to 3500 to 4k then after that, revvs SLOW and at 5K under load (fwy, WOT) feels like a rev limiter, will sometimes go above then it hits the phantom 'limiter' again.

Just changed the front o2, im going to try the rear and the normal tune ups. Any other suggestions?
Im having the same issue as well! im extremley frustrated at this point. My car is throwing the following CEL's P0500 and 1540. both are vehicle speed sensor codes.

02 sensor were replaced recently. Ive got 01' RS with CAI, Exhaust, lightnened crank pulley. I had those mods for years and it ran great! then i just recently had to pull the wiring harness out for a cage build. when i put the harness back in and took it for a drive it started doing the hesitation problem. once i reach 4500 RPM it bogs just like a rev limiter. not sure what to do or where to start for this but im gonna reground the engine bay and see if that helps.

anyother suggestion?

·
Premium Member
'97 Impreza L
2,531 Posts
Not sure if there were any confirmed situations, but figured I'd add just in case.

Mine would idle fine, but once I gave it gas it would bog really bad then rev like normal. If I held the gas anywhere above about 1 - 1.5k RPM the idle would jump around and couldn't hold a steady RPM. I think my code was po112 or po102, I can't remember, but I think it was 112. The CEL would come on immediately after clearing it and starting the car. If that happens the MAF has a short and needs replaced. I replaced it with a brand new one off my old intake and it runs normal again.

Thought I'd put this in here just in case someone has the same issue.

·
Registered
1999, Impreza L Wagon. Black
6 Posts
I have this exact same issue. 99' Impreza Wagon EJ22. Somtime's it seems like the car is idleing fine but mostly this happens. I just bought the car and It had a turbo on it before. The wireing and vacuum hoses all look thrown back together so I wouldn't be surprised if it's related to that. I cleaned the IAC and the MAF sensors, Replaced spark plugs and wires. Put some fuel injector cleaner in my gas. Still the same problem. I'm pretty sure I should replace the MAF sensor but I dont just want to go throwing money at it.

When I took it to the local subaru mechanic he thought it would be something simple and didn't have time to look at it but said that I had 12 codes, but I never got a CEL?

I'm new to Subaru's and just trying to Get familiar. Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1998 2.5rs blue
59 Posts
ill be driving at normal speeds and my car will jerk and stay at speed, its usually when my throttle is 1/4 or more where it starts jerking rapidly, wtf is going on?

·
Registered
10 Posts
^ mine kind of sounds like yours. I have a 97 1.8 brighton stock with 04 STI muffler.

It pulls and drives great. Only problem is I get a hesitation or misfire when at crusing at 60-65mph in 5th gear. It doesn't happen immediately, only happens after maybe a few minutes at constant throttle. And it will do it first maybe once every couple minutes and increase in frequency until I let off the gas or floor it. It feels like a hotspot developing in the cylinder, possible pre-ignition or detonation but its a stock car. I changed the O2 sensor so far but it didn't help.

·
Registered
1998 2.5rs blue
59 Posts
i have a 98 rs with a tranny leak where the engine meets the tranny, my car is jerking under normal load really bad and has happened occasionally, itll happen for the whole time i drive it but when i let it sit for a couple hours or a day its fine the next time i drive it, idk what hesitation feels like but i think this would be it

·
Registered
95' Aegean Blue Impreza L
47 Posts
^ mine kind of sounds like yours. I have a 97 1.8 brighton stock with 04 STI muffler.

It pulls and drives great. Only problem is I get a hesitation or misfire when at crusing at 60-65mph in 5th gear. It doesn't happen immediately, only happens after maybe a few minutes at constant throttle. And it will do it first maybe once every couple minutes and increase in frequency until I let off the gas or floor it. It feels like a hotspot developing in the cylinder, possible pre-ignition or detonation but its a stock car. I changed the O2 sensor so far but it didn't help.
My car will do the same thing here and there.. But most of the time my biggest hesitation problems are from 1-2K rpm. Have you tried the Throttle Position Sensor?

·
Registered
10 Posts
its funny you mentioned that. my car JUST threw that code today briefly but luckily i had my code reader and it was saying it was the TPS so I guess that's the next thing ill check.

·
Registered
95' Aegean Blue Impreza L
47 Posts
its funny you mentioned that. my car JUST threw that code today briefly but luckily i had my code reader and it was saying it was the TPS so I guess that's the next thing ill check.
Hopefully that will fix the problem! If it does let me know and i'll check that out on mine.

·
Registered
1998 2.5RS Rally Blue
119 Posts
ive noticed my 98 RS hesitating lately mostly in first and second gear, and mostly beweeen 3000 and 4500 rpms. i am also throwing a p0170 and p0136 code. my car is running very rich so i hope my hfc isnt going out as it is only a month old! i will try some seafoam cleaner and report back. btw where does the seafoam go???

41 - 60 of 200 Posts