Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
00' Rally Batmobile
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I'm relatively a noob to subies, I have a 00 RS, excuse me for any "dumb" questions. Ok, I've had a check engine light for 2 years now, thought it was the Borla headers, but it hasn't caused a problem. Recently I started having hesitation, kinka like a fuel shortage all of a sudden while accelerating. Then now it's worst, sounds like it's missfireing and while accelerating it jerks. Srry for the long post and grammer, Pleeease help, it would be greatly appreciated.

·
2001 A.W. L
13,249 Posts
sounds like an O2 sensor

but a word of advice. you should really get the code pulled when it comes on not 2 years later

·
Registered
00' Rally Batmobile
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It idled fine when it was just hesitating but now it sounds like "bump bump bupump" instead of "bump bump bump" i got it pulled a few months ago it was the o2 sensor but can the o2 sensor cause THIS. Thanks for the quick reply.

·
Registered
BRP ver5 RSTi, Beater Leggy
370 Posts
Rear o2 sensor usually won't, but the front sensor can. Also check/replace fuel filter if you haven't yet, real cheap and easy. Only other easy thing I can think of that might cause that is a bad/dirty coilpack.

Just get the codes pulled again and go from there imo.

·
Premium Member
2002 Aspen White WRX (sedan)
2,402 Posts
When is the last time you changed fuel filter? spark plugs? plug wires?

It is pry one of those 3 and not the o2 sensor. The o2 sensor cel came up because there was an excess amount of oxygen in your exhaust. Which was pry from the misfires.

·
Registered
4,360 Posts
DoTheEndless said:
It idled fine when it was just hesitating but now it sounds like "bump bump bupump" instead of "bump bump bump" i got it pulled a few months ago it was the o2 sensor but can the o2 sensor cause THIS. Thanks for the quick reply.
Which O2 sensor code was it? A front O2 sensor (bank 1, sensor 1) would absolutely cause rough running. But you definitely shouldn't ever leave the light on for two years without checking what it is. Because your symptoms have changed, you should get that light pulled again to see if it's the same thing. And post the codes that come up. Without the exact codes and knowing which sensor it is, everything anybody in this thread is telling you are guesses at best, since they aren't smart enough to ask the obvious question.

·
Registered
00' Rally Batmobile
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok, haven't ever changed the fuel filter, nor the spark plug wires, but I did change the spark plugs to the iridium ones one year ago. Just checked the plugs and two cylinders are oily, more than normal. From below those spark plugs the gasket area is blacken a bit... hope I didn't blow a gasket...but I'm going to replace the spark plugs today, see what happens. You guys don't think that it could be anything worst than this could you? :noes:

·
DWAFTW
03 Silver WRX Wagon
10,140 Posts
mine did the same thing and it was the 02.

·
Registered
Steel Grey WRX Limited
3,043 Posts
DoTheEndless said:
By the way the code was for the front 02.
then common logic would tell you to replace the front o2 sensor. if it's bad then you're getting the wrong a/f ratios and thats why your car is running like shit. spend the money and get it fixed and you should be fine. if it were a plug, plug wire, or coil pack issue you would be getting a misfire code.

·
Registered
4,360 Posts
DoTheEndless said:
Just checked the plugs and two cylinders are oily, more than normal. From below those spark plugs the gasket area is blacken a bit... hope I didn't blow a gasket
DoTheEndless said:
By the way the code was for the front 02.
Given these two items, pretty much everybody other than Bootleg is full of shit.

Do the following:

1. Replace front O2. This sensor is VITAL to engine operation. You have to be a complete idiot to drive around for 2 years with a bad O2.

2. Replace valvecover gaskets and tube seals. Oil on spark plugs = misfires. It's only a matter of time, if you haven't had a misfire problem yet.

3. Replace all 4 spark plugs.

If you've never changed your wires, you can do them, but the way you're talking, the above 3 things will fix your problems. If the coilpack isn't corroded, no point replacing it.

·
Registered
00' Rally Batmobile
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
:) Yea should've fixed it when the cel light first came on. Okies, thanks a bunch to all you guys, for your help, I'll follow the steps given and hopefully it'll be fine.

·
Registered
558 Posts
same thing was happening to my car, turned out i just needed to change the plugs. the ones that were in there when i bought the car were totally screwed.

·
Registered
4,360 Posts
WRXjp93 said:
same thing was happening to my car, turned out i just needed to change the plugs. the ones that were in there when i bought the car were totally screwed.
Thanks for joining in just in time to provide completely worthless information.

·
Registered
558 Posts
your welcome, thanks for stopping by in time to be a total douche bag

1 - 20 of 27 Posts