Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi so I’m a subi newbie wanting to install a oil temp gauge along with a oil pressure gauge on a N/A ej25d and I’ve looked around and determined that I’m probably going to use the front oil gallery with a t fitting and I’ll put the oil pressure sensor and keep the dummy light on that t but I don’t know where would be the best for the temp sensor and everything I would need to purchase to make this happen, I know I’ll probably need adapters and probably a relocation kit. so I’ve come to ask for assistance and links to the things I need to buy to make it work, links would be great, If needed I can provide more information if need be first time posting and first time doing this install so I’ll probably add more questions

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks so I’m probably going to continue with putting the pressure and the dummy light on the top front gallery under the alternator and the temp on the rear top gallery what should I get to properly have all the adapters and to make sure everything has proper clearance

·
Premium Member
White Lwag
899 Posts
There's also the other port on the back of the block passenger side by PVC. Thats were I'll stick my oil temp. And like you said just T of the front. The dummy light wont shine if you just unplug it. It's more of a replace bearings light, only goes off a 2 psi or something ridiculous. Or tap back of a head little more envolved.

·
Registered
Turbo, LS swapped Impreza RS
5,171 Posts
I agree with scruff the dummy light is less than useless. The engine is toast or at least deprived from oil if that comes on. I removed mine and forgot about it.

·
Premium Member
White Lwag
899 Posts
Just to add, you can also get oil temps from tapping the oil pan, good location. They also make oil pan plugs that you can install a temp probe in. I personally think that's my least favorite option.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That’s probably what I’m going to do pressure up front temp out back how’s the clearance on it and aren’t the threads a pain to find adapters for that’s the thing I want to make sure I’ll have everything to plumb it up in one go because the folks at the hardware store know me by a first name basis lol

·
Registered
2001 Impreza 2.5RS+T 2001 Subaru Legacy GT
1,220 Posts
Just to add, you can also get oil temps from tapping the oil pan, good location. They also make oil pan plugs that you can install a temp probe in. I personally think that's my least favorite option.
AFAIK this is how the original gauge pack for the GC got oil temp. seems prime to leak after a few oil changes.

After using the correct adapter plug. Dig through my member journal. Part numbers and sources are in there.
Subaru sells the perfect plug to thread sensors in to. It's a few dollars but worth it for something that "just works". It's the same thing the OE oil pressure sender threads in to.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Alright sweet I’ll get to ordering the parts I’ll update soon hopefully the oil pressure sensor will clear the alternator, going to use the one that GlowShift sends with its gauges

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So update I’ve order everything will be here soon but I have a question I’m looking around for a write up someone did where they installed the centerdash cluster and keep the little pocket storage area with out to much modification but I can’t find it

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
So update I’ve order everything will be here soon but I have a question I’m looking around for a write up someone did where they installed the centerdash cluster and keep the little pocket storage area with out to much modification but I can’t find it
I tend to forget my car even had that center storage compartment. Probably cause i never used it, hate the sound of things sliding around. The bracket for the OE gauge pack that goes there takes up whatever kind of empty space a storage compartment might use.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I got it all installed managed to keep the center storage had to do a tiny bit of drilling. The only thing I really keep in there is paper work so lucky it’s not to noisy, just used some Velcro to hold the pod in place, thanks for all the help the only problem now is I had to use a t for the front and I’ve noticed the air flow to the oil temp sensor on the highway seems to interfere with the read out I may be wrong I’ve not really tested my theory but it drops 40 degrees F at highway speed so I might try wrapping or covering the temp sensor to see. But I gotta figure out what I have laying around to cover it with.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
So....... what is your non-freeway oil temp showing??? My turbo car runs between 220-270 depending on how hard I run it

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
That's way too cold. The oil should be at least your coolant temperature, and generally 20 degrees more. Proper operating coolant temperature is around 180 degrees. Freedom units of course.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts