Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
1998 Subaru Impreza RS - RBP
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm currently following Joshua's DIY guide on removing the engine.

Anyway, I have completely stripped the hell out of the driver-side motor mount nut (passenger-side came off nice and clean). I tried using the drill to put a hole on both sides of the nut so I could break it off, but I can't really get an angle on it. I have broken my dremel tool, so cutting it is not an option at the moment (broke while trying to cut it)! What else can be done?

I'm in a time crunch because I have someone coming to take my car to the body shop on his flatbed.
Someone please help!!!!

:run:
-Nick

· Registered
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have no air tools, and this nut is all jacked up (haha) now and I don't know if that would work. What size would you recommend me trying though, since it's a 14mm?

Thanks!

· EEEEP!!!!
Something Slow
2,210 Posts
To get to it you need to jack the motor up a bit to get it. If you want to hammer a socket onto it just use the next size smaller... or SAE equivalant. If you have another ride, you can go get the tool from sears.

· Registered
02' PSM WRX
1,506 Posts
is the exhaust manifold or header unbolted and out of the way? also go snap a quick picture of the MM nut your trying to get at so we can all get some insight. pictures worth a thousand words...

EDIT: explain the exact socket you were using. 6 point or 12 point shallow or deep?

· Premium Member
2001 A.W. L
16,492 Posts
Are the threads ok below the nut?

You are probably going to have to heat it and use a nut extractor to get it out. If you pick them up make sure you get the impact grade ones

· Registered
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sorry to leave you guys hanging for so long!
I ended up getting a 13mm and smashing it on with a hammer. That did the trick. :)

Thanks for all the help/information guys!

BTW: I started with a 14mm 6-point socket, and ended with a 13mm 12-point. :p
My motor is in my garage now and the car is currently being delivered to the body shop.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.