Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
in pieces
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I don't really ever have much luck with these threads but I'm hoping someone may know the answer to this. I'm currently swapping a v4 sti EJ20K into my 01 coupe. The engine came from JDM land with the hoses installed improperly, some things blocked off, and missing the restrictor pill. Since then i've been able to obtain a boost pill and have it drilled to the correct 1.5 mm size.

I don't know where all the hoses go!! :(

There's:

1. 3 port boost solenoid
2. sensor beside three port boost solenoid, bottom port open, top port goes to what looks to be a map sensor
3. port for the waste gate
4. port on the compressor housing
5. small port on the intake manifold
6. medium size port on the intake pipe running under the manifold.

I've seen this picture here:

This is for a 2 port solenoid though.

I've found some other information like this:

Pre 96 Pill is 2mm and goes in bottom pipe of 3-port solenoid.
97> Pill is in pipe btween turbo nipple and t-piece, which goes to actuator and boost control solenoid. This uses the 2-port solenoid.

The 2 locations have the oposite effect.

On a Pre96 removable of the restrcitor or a larger restrictor will cause boost spike, or slight increase in boost. Becomes a probem if decatted as ECU will try to compensate and somestime induce fuel-cut.

On 97> the smaller the restrictor the greater the boost. If you get boost spikes just open up the restrictor by 0.05mm at a time.
But then every time I see a V4 mentioned i get this:

MY98 Sti 4 ... 3 port solenoid 1.5mm restrictor fitted between the turbo and the solenoid adjacent to the solenoid top port
What the heck is that talking about? is it saying that the pill goes in between the port coming off the compressor housing and then not going to the boost solenoid but to the sensor that connects to the map sensor?

All of this is really confusing. I can post the full list of the pill locations, but the v4 sti is different than all the other 10 that are on the list.

·
yep. you heard me.
‘18 E63s AMG wagon & 10 Subarus
6,473 Posts
Take a picture of your engine bay and I can probably draw it for you

The ej20k v3/4 does not have a 3port boost solenoid. It's only 2-port. The restrictor pill goes in the 4 inches of hose right off the compressor before it T's and goes to the wastegate/solenoid

·
needs more cowbell
95L, 07 2.5i, R6
9,315 Posts
There is an actual pic posted here on the site, I did it a couple of times but can't remember the threads.

·
Registered
in pieces
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You have? My apologies, I've been googeling all day and nothing substaintial pops up when i searched v4, solenoid, etc.

Alright, I just found this picture, and things corolate between the 2 port and 3 port, so I believe I now know where all the hoses are suppose to go, but I still have no clue where to stick the restrictor pill.

My bracket doesn't look like this one though.

·
Registered
in pieces
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
?

The picture is of this:

MY93-96 ... 3 port solenoid 2.0mm restrictor fitted into the vent pipe between solenoid lower port and intake
Mine is this though:

MY98 Sti 4 ... 3 port solenoid 1.5mm restrictor fitted between the turbo and the solenoid adjacent to the solenoid top port
This is really hard to understand.

Following those directions that means that both pictures are incorrect and that there is suppose to be a hose running inbetween the compressor housing and the solenoid that is adjacent to the boost solenoids' top port. (so i'm assuming that means the bottom port of the solenoid connected to the map sensor)

I see that there's 3 ports on the boost solenoid. 1 that vents back into the intake, 1 that recieves boost from the compressor housing, and one that gives boost back to the wastegate actuator.

If I knew exactly how the system was suppose to work maybe it would be a little easier, but it seems as though I have the odd ball sti swap.

·
needs more cowbell
95L, 07 2.5i, R6
9,315 Posts
Its restricting return pressure flow back into the air inlet when its bleeding off, technically it can be on the wastegate side (which is where I put mine).

By the way, mine is a 97 ej20k and has the 3 port solenoid as above.

·
Registered
ra sti
1 Posts
Top of the selenoid hose------turbo outlet (it has restrictor pill in it)

Middle part goes to-------wastegate

Bottom part goes to air filter box before the turbo

Best,

·
needs more cowbell
95L, 07 2.5i, R6
9,315 Posts
/\ makes sense, I may swap mine to see if there's any difference

Mine is the 3 port solenoid setup and is a 97 ej20k.

Let me go check to see which end. Thought mine was on the wastegate hose but may be on the compressor nipple...

Checked and mine is on the wastegate nipple. I believe it was there in oem old tubing so I installed it in the same place. Its been working fine since I did the first swap.

Pretty sure the seperate switching solenoid that connects to the map sensor just runs to a nipple of the intake manifold.

·
yep. you heard me.
6,473 Posts
pill goes here, (5) in detail A, part number 22326KA120, 1.2mm inner diameter. note the short line from the compressor to the wastegate actuator. also note there is a T in that line which goes to another diagram

seems pretty clear to me in the diagrams

theres 1 line coming off the manifold, with a check valve (i assume) which goes to a pressure sources switching solenoid, which then goes to a MAP sensor (or just a pressure sensor, not necessarily MAP)
then theres the line that comes off the T from the turbo (as discussed above) which goes to the boost control solenoid, and the line off the BCS goes to the inlet pipe (pressure release)
then also there at the solenoids there is the igniter. no vacuum/pressure lines, just a harness plug

EDIT for typos

·
Registered
in pieces
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've been reading here as well, seems like there is starting to be a consensus.

Here:

Boost pressure - Page 3 - Subaru Forum | Type RA Forum for Subaru Impreza WRX Type RA, WRX STi, Spec-C, S202, Type RA-R

Re: Boost pressure
yes jason,the pill is in the top hose,

my mistake for the early version pic

regards nathan

I don't see why they couldn't just say "line between compressor housing and top port of solenoid"

They way they have it listed makes it seem like it's to the other solenoid next to the boost unit.

I suppose i'm going to start off with it in the top port of the boost solenoid. and if it doesn't work, then just go from there.

Thanks for your help guys.

Also, what should the boosting characteristics be like? It's pretty much a stock setup save an equal length exhaust manifold, K&N panal air filter, bellmouth 3" downpipe, and catted 3" exhaust.

Should boost come on fast and strong?

what max psi should I be at, and should there be anything to watch out for?

·
Registered
in pieces
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
pill goes here (#5 in detail A). note the short line from the compressor to the wastegate actuator. also note there is a T in that line which goes to another diagram

That setup is for a 2 port setup. Basically what it seems like is that instead of having the two combined on the 2 port, and one line running to the boost solenoid, and then the other port venting back into the intake.

The three port solenoid seperates the wastegate and the compressor outlet into two seperate lines that then run to the boost solenoid. In your pic, it seems as though the boost pill is next to the compressor outlet before the t fitting, which would support that it is in the compressor line to the 3 port solenoids top port.

·
yep. you heard me.
6,473 Posts
What I posted is for v3/4 EJ20K. if you have anything else, its not an EJ20K, or its custom for an aftermarket BCS
EDIT: bottom line an EJ20k uses a 2port BCS, the EJ20G v1/2 uses a 3-port. also USDM legacy turbo uses 3port

·
Registered
in pieces
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
For the most part, you are correct, All 20k's use 2 port solenoids, except the my98, it uses a 3 port. It is a beautiful unique snowflake.

on a serious note though, it's a 20k. If I didn't have to upload all the pics to my photo bucket and then to here i'd show you. I may do that later.

I really wish it was a 2 port, i wouldn't have had to be on here alll day long. I have the exact hose in that diagram sitting right next to me that rallispec sent me.

·
needs more cowbell
95L, 07 2.5i, R6
9,315 Posts
My 97 ej20k (with lame vinyl tubing that is now silicone) Ignore the extra map sensor. This is before I went to individual coilpacks.

·
needs more cowbell
95L, 07 2.5i, R6
9,315 Posts
why does yours have what looks to be two map sensors? is that what they are?
I was using the extra to run a boost gauge, it is now fried and in the trash due to my incompetence. :run:

·
Registered
in pieces
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
ah, that's why i stick with good old analog lol, cause i wouldn't even know where to start.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts