Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have automatic tranny fluid coming out somewhere on the passenger side of the tranny! (opposite side of the plug, and filter)

What could cause this? I recently changed the fluid and filter, but I only put in 9.5 qt. And I checked the level cold after the change and things were at the right level. Now after noticing the leak (it was dripping on the exhaust and smoking), I check and it looks over filled!

Could it be over filled? If it was, did it blow a seal? Is there a overflow vent?

Luke

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
does a 2002 2.5RS have a tranny cooler?

Does a 2001 2.5RS have a tranny cooler?

That brings up another question. Where would I get a service manual for this car?

It appears that Chilton, and Haynes dont make one.

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
its possible (though not too likely) you cracked the case. even a tiny crack will cause a pretty good leak. unfortunately, you have to drop the tranny to inspect it.

·
Registered
2000 Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS Asp
152 Posts
service manual is a dealer only item. and yes there is tranny cooler lines..they come off the radiator.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
found the lines, and I think problem

I found the tranny cooler lines, also, looks like there are 2 vent tubes coming from the transmission. Which is were I believe the fluid came from. (even though the dealer told me there were none)

I think what happened is that when I drained the tranny I didnt get all the fluid out, so when I put in the specified amount (9.8 qts), I overfilled it by about 3 qts!!!!!!!!! (That is what I just drained out to get the level down to where it should be).

My initial level measurement was made at night, so I went by the little holes on the stick instead of actually looking for a line of liquid.

I hope my problem is solved, and nothing was damaged.

Luke

·
Registered
98 2.5RS Rally Blue Pearl
396 Posts
Yea, a couple quarts still remain in the torque converter when you change the ATF fluid. Only on a new/rebuilt tranny would you add the recommended quarts. If you caught the mistake soon after the change there shouldn't be any problems.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
3 days, about 40 miles

I caught the problem 3 days, approx. 40 miles after the overfill. Car seems to run fine, never did not run fine actually. The tranny just puked it out the vent I think.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts