Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK recently i installed an sti trans mount on my car. I figured everything went ok because when i was finished the car drove and felt fine.. I had probably drove about 100 miles with it on and tonight we got huge amounts of rain. Well when i was driving home in it my car started making a loud groaning noise and would get a very bad vibration everytime i went through a large puddle. I dont know if it was because of the puddle or what. Infact i have no idea whats wrong with my car. Is there anything i could have messed up while installing my trans mount. The only thing i can think of is maybe when i put the jack under the transmission i jacked it up too far and messed something up. Someone please try to help me.

H

·
0 Posts
Large puddle = noise?

Check to see that the exhaust is hung right. Cold water hitting it and contracting is the only reason why I can think that it would only make noise after a puddle.

My car makes funny groaning/vibrating noises right around 3200 rpm, but I think that has to do with resonance or something.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i think its more serious than that.. does anyone think it could be a warning sign of bad wheel bearings???
i have to get this fixed as soon as possible

anyone else wanna help me?????

·
Premium Member
Two Mini Coopers!
10,629 Posts
Okay, so let's think about this. To install the tranny mounts, you would have (1) unbolted the existing mounts (2) jacked up the tranny (3) removed the existing mounts (4) put the new ones in (5) torqued the bolts down to the proper specs [riiight? :) ]

So things that could have gone wrong could be (1) bolts not torqued to spec, so whole tranny is moving around (2) by jacking the engine and tranny together you damaged one of the motor mounts - assuming they were not loosened to do this work (3) you pulled the driveshaft [front-to-rear] too far and either bent it or damaged the seals/bearings it goes into (4) you damaged the U-Joint on the driveshaft [front-to-rear] (5) you bent the oil pan for the transmission, and the transmission oil has leaked out, so now your transmission is empty and dry gears are not good (6) the driveshaft pulled out of the rear differential and it's drained it's oil so now it's dry (7) pigs can fly [are you still reading all this?] (8) you cracked the transmission case and now it's leaking.

Okay, so it sounds like you should check for leaks, and then you should try and isolate the noise.

Does the car make noise when you are :

1. Accelerating? What gear(s)?
2. Cruising (under light throttle)?
3. Coasting (no throttle)?
4. Braking?
5. Turning?
6. Coasting in Nuetral?
7. Idling?
8. Driving through puddles?
9. Cold or hot engine temperatures?
10. Cold or hot weather?
11. Full throttle?
12. Clutch in, out, engaging, dissengaging?

So get some more information and we can probably narrow this down.

Of course, if you are in nuetral and the noise persists, it's probably not the transmission, but it may be the drivetrain. If it only happens in gear, then it is the transmission. If it only happens when you are going around corners, it could be CV joints or your differential(s) [unlikely IMO]. Etc.

Get back to me, let me know...

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It doesnt have to be in gear to make the noise. It happens at higher speeds (above 35). It seemed to be at its worst everytime i went through a large puddle. It seemed like the noise was dependent on road speed and not engine speed. Cause i could have the car out of gear and rev the engine and the noise would still be there and not change pitch. Like i said it was worse after i would go through a large puddle then it would calm down after i drove down the road without going in any other puddles. I dont think the transmission is damaged cause everything feels fine with it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I forgot to mention once when i was going through a puddle last night no tonly was there noise but the car felt kinda jerky kinda almost like a clutch shudder but not as violent.

H

·
0 Posts
zhew got a bad U-joint? My truck made funny noises and I took out a U-joint and the needle bearings were self-destructing.

Crawl around under there and see if anything is out of place.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok so it dried up today and i took my car for a drive. There wasnt much noise.. nothing really. Ill get under there and look at the joints, but i dont think theyre bad... I have an appointment thursday so subaru can look at my wheel bearings, because that what i think it is, if not im sure they can figure it out.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
while i was under the car i noticed a lit of grime on the trans housing. I cant remember if there was that much on it when i was changing out the mount. What could be covering it if its not just road grime?? I checked the trans fluid level and it was a little below full... another thing
is that little yellow dipstick supposed to pop back into the hole like the oil dipstick cause mine didnt really pop back in.. it just kinda went as for as it could go but i didnt feel a pop like with the oil dipstick.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts