Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys, I've had trouble identifying this issue and it's been dragging out (registration renewal way over due).

Background:
I got 'randomly' tagged for STAR Smog inspection which is more extensive than just the normal 2 yr smog. Took my 2001 2.5 RS in for smog and failed for what the mechanic thought was Drive Cycle.

Hooked up my OBDII reader and it showed "Mode $06, bank 3 - sensor 1 fail" - see images below.

No Diagnostic Trouble Codes have been thrown but from my research Mode $06 is related to emission faults, sensor on verge of failure, or possible engine misfire. The car is running great so don't think it's a misfire issue.

I've replaced the rear 02 exhaust sensor, ran drive cycle ~100 miles and still throwing the same fail for bank 3 - sensor 1.

Can someone help verify if I've replaced the correct exhaust sensor. There is the front one which i haven't replaced just yet assuming the rear was the culprit.

Thanks in advance.

Font Screenshot Technology Multimedia Software

Font Slope Screenshot Terrestrial plant Technology

·
Administrator
2000 RSTi
1,595 Posts
It most likely means you have a pre o2 sensor exhaust leak due to the gaskets being toast or cracked exhaust. Or your catalytic converter(s) are toast.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the feedback Mike! Should I just get new exhaust or try to replace all exhaist gaskets and maybe front 02 sensor? Right now setup is a stock exhaust with an axle back mod

·
Administrator
2000 RSTi
1,595 Posts
I would start with the gaskets.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts