Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
  1. So yesterday I've replaced the spark plugs because I'm trying to diagnose a fuel leak on the passenger side engine bay where I can smell fuel and found a moisture spot on top of the crossmember underneath where the fuel injectors sit...so after installing the plugs I went straight to cranking it up hoping that the weakening idle would get better and less white smoky exhaust but nothing really changed much...idles just a little better but I thing that's only because I've also installed a good battery the day before well long story short, it cranked up alright the first day I installed the new plugs but the the day after I was spraying some bolts to get ready for loosening to replace injectors then I was headed out to the Auto Salvage Yard when I tried to crank the car but all it did was click and almost sounded like it was about to turn over... that kind of got me scared and paused thinking this car never done this to me before especially with a good battery so I kind of shook it off and tried again and heard the same thing...click and sounded like it was about to get the first cranking noise but stalled...so I waited a little longer before I tried again... then I finally got 3 or 4 sputters before the click noise came on again...so I'm thinking so maybe I depleted some of the battery power from leaving the keys turned in the accessory ON position all night so I went to check the battery with the Volt meter and it's good at 12.40 volts...So this time I went in and tried to crank it again but now I held the key at cranking position even after I heard the click and I heard 3 or 4 crank noise and then a slight Shfrap!!! noise followed by immediate silence like something you'd hear plastic or rubber makes when it gets fried so I come out and check to find that the ground I presume from the transmission bolt to the wall melted through... yeah I'm pretty new to learning about engine bay parts and components so I'm not even sure where to begin any help is very much appreciated please and Thank you! in advance... the melted ground wire is the V shaped smaller background wire melted through its rubber insulator forming the V shape if you zoom in you can see the wire threads on the the right of the the "V" shape... the second pic is just the location of where I was spraying rust penetration fluid
    20200403_135306.jpg
    20200403_135255.jpg

·
Registered
2000 RS Coupe
184 Posts
Wait - in the second picture, are you talking about the black wire with the yellow stripe secured to the starter by a rusted bolt? If so, I think that should be the positive wire to the starter from the battery. Can anyone else chime in here? In the first pic, is the "v-shape" due to the light effect on the set of wires located to the passenger side of the base of your pitch mount assembly? I'm a little confused as to exactly what you're talking about in that pic.

·
Registered
1995 EZ30 Coupe
549 Posts
The first pic shows the aforementioned trans tunnel ground wire and if you look closely you can see that the left vertical run is just the melted insulation, and the right vertical run is the bare stranded wire.

That wire in the second pic is a ground, it's on a bracket on one of the bellhousing bolts, and should go straight to the battery. The positive cable attaches towards the rear of the starter and usually has a dust boot.

Sounds like you have symptoms indicative of an electrical short as well as poor battery connections, considering you just replaced the battery. Is wd-40 conductive? It doesn't look like you used enough to cause an issue even if it is. Check the positive connections in the engine bay and see if any are shorted to ground?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
So here's a couple more pics of the aftermath... I moved the ground wire aside a little so that you can see that it melted on the wire underneath it which leads to that burgundy colored plug in the forefront of the image... and also a pic from top view of my battery terminal post as you can see that yellow black thick gauge wire that led to my starter is actually coming from the positive I just needed a cheap replacement and then there's this thinner gauge red wire that I just left hanging that's attached on the fender wall and don't know where to connect that to... would that be the cause of the issue?
20200403_190139.jpg
20200403_190120.jpg
20200403_185919.jpg

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Will definitely be up and at it tomorrow in the morning since it's feeling a little chilly outside and I am getting ready for supper...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Is it possible that due to possibly a damaged o-ring from the injectors that it caused the motor to seize? And when I try to hold it in the cranking position it will send too much power and cause the melted ground? Well it cranked up the car just fine the first day I got it then the next day it just made that jump noise and didn't crank the car ... by the way it has 500 CC amps, now also when I connect the battery post to give it power it does not make a noise like it usually does when something is starting up

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I wonder where the next best place would be to get info and DIYs and how to if not here... well anyways I went to Advance Auto Parts and showed one of the counter reps a picture of the situation I'm going through with the melted ground wire and he said I might have to end up replacing a whole lot of other things because it melted on top of a different wire so I don't know... Anyhow I did manage to go to the auto scrap yard and pick up a couple of injectors from a 2001 Impreza L I was wondering if this will fit my 2000 Impreza 2.5 RS... cuz I was wondering if me not able to crank the car has something to do with the motor being seized for having a leaky injector?

·
Super Moderator
2000 RSTi
263 Posts
Yes, leaking fuel can cause a hydrolocked engine. You can clear that condition by removing all the spark plugs and trying to crank the engine.

If that really happened, you'll also need to change your oil, because fuel will have gotten in there as well.

·
Super Moderator
2000 RSTi
263 Posts
You need to take used injectors to an injector cleaner place. they typically give you new o-rings when they service them.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Thanks Mike-Tracy that is very kind of you to help with that info... I was hoping to follow a YouTube instructional video on how to clean out the injectors, at this moment money is very hard to come by for me, I'm having to sell and Pawn off a lot of stuff from my storage to have anything to work with... yes I will try that method with removing the spark plugs and then try to crank the engine, probably better to do it when it's not rainy weather perhaps but I think I will do that Early in the morning... I'm also going to see if I can pull a new cable from the starter to battery just in case I messed it up by spraying WD-40 where it bolts to the tranny housing

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Mike-Tracy... so yeah I was wondering to get out of the hydrolock I'll just have to pull all four spark plugs out and crank the car? is there a specific sound I should be listening for? By the way I tried to jump start the car today and it did the same thing... click sound and motor halt... the purpose of trying to jumpstart it was to check to see if the battery was bad which I now believe it's not the battery any further suggestions would be greatly appreciated Thanks again. I'm also looking for a decent scan tool for a good price as well any suggestion on that would be also very helpful thanks.

·
Registered
Black 2001 RS
787 Posts
Good lord, learn how to form sentences and paragraphs.
Have you cleaned the electrical connections on the negative connection to the starter? If there's a ton of resistance, electricity will try to find another way back to the battery, hence the melted small ground. While you're at it, clean ALL of the chassis grounds. Remove the wire/nut, sand down to bare metal on both connections, reinstall. Dab a little dielectric grease over it to minimize future rusting.

·
Super Moderator
2000 RSTi
263 Posts
You can't say your battery is or isn't bad just because you couldn't jump start it. Could be a bad battery with a hydrolocked engine, could be a good battery with a hydrolocked engine. Either scenario it isn't gonna start.

Once you pull the spark plugs out, and crank over the engine, the fuel should shoot out of the spark plugs holes. So make sure you aren't going to catch anything on fire!.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts