Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm writing a paper on how cops handel street racing and what can be done to inform Drivers that you should not street race and you can have more fun doing it on the track.

If anyone knows of webpages or people that have been afected by street racing let me know. It has to be 8 pages so i really need to dig deep.

I also looking for alternitives to street racing. i know about all the SCCA stuff but dont know much about drag racing programs or racing.

thanks

·
Premium Member
Two Mini Coopers!
10,629 Posts
Well, I'm surprised no one has answered. Yes, SCCA is an option, as are other racing agencies like NASA or local car clubs. In addition, some of us are lucky enough to live near 1/4 miles tracks such as Bandimere Speedway near Denver, CO.

Personally, I see street racing as fun, low cost, high excitement kind of thrills teens tend to go for. However, the risk is high because there are so many variables to look out for - other cars, pedestrians, cops, animals, and anything else that could go wrong. And, of course, there is no measurement of the results. You might be losing on the street only to find that you could win on the track. Or vice versa.

Personally, I thought I would be a sucky autocross driver, seeing as how I had an automatic. However, I was pleased to find that I was frequently among the top 5 finishers in events. I got some books to improve my skills and asked lots of questions and slowly got better. I sometimes finished first, second or third in the STS class, which I though was great. And, it was measureable, and I could brag to my friends about it with proof.

However, street racing can sometimes give you something else to brag about - like major injuries, crashing your car, or killing someone else and getting a free stay in jail. I've seen several articles in the newspapers where kids lose control of their cars and kill someone - themselves, their passengers, or innocent bystanders.

Good luck with your paper!

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just wish i could find the articles about the street racing deaths but there has got to be something else besides dieing to persuade kids away from it.

Erik S.

·
Registered
my00 2.5 rs white
330 Posts
going to the track is very fun and exciting, but nothin beats a street race, come on...

its noble thing you're tryin to do, becasue it is fuckin dangerous as shit, there is no doubt there.. but the rush of racing through traffic and making split second decisions that can change your life forever... nothing beats that

sorry bro can't help you

·
Registered
2004 Forester XTi
1,005 Posts
You could also discuss why people street race in your paper. Who, what, when, where, why? There must be a cause.... how they get around doing it... why they're willing to risk lives for pleasure... Get into detail about. I'm sure I can write a 4 page paper just writing about why people street race. You have a main topic, now get into the sub-topics and write what goes on. Good luck.

·
Registered
'00 2.5RS coupe (9/01-1/04)
236 Posts
When done correctly, illegal drag racing can be almost as safe as the legal form of dragging (NHRA stuff on real 1/4mile tracks). If you've got a street closed off, and all the drivers (I use the term usely) and spectators have brains in their heads, nobody's likely to get hurt.

Most of the straight-line crowd is dumber than mud, however; lots of the kids around here are more into the 'thug life' that street-racing has become than to driving fast. The stupid cholos stole enough money to buy a Honda and a bottle of NOS, and now they cause trouble at the races. Lots of people bet on races (our parents used to, though, so that's no big deal), and some people get into fights when someone's been beat by another guy who had been sandbagging. Lots of the 'racers' don't want anyone to know exactly how fast their car is, they want to race you for $50, and you can find out that way.

a forum where you might find more info is www.sdstreetracing.org , they've got forums but you have to register to read anything.

Look on i-club (socal forum SCIC) about a month back someone posted a story about people in San Diego getting woke up at 7am saturday morning and arrested in their front yard for all their neighbors to see. Cops got warrants after confiscating camcorders and reviewing tapes. It was a newspaper article I think.

Good luck w/ your paper. Stoplight racing (in traffic) is just stupid.

-scott-

·
Registered
116 Posts
Alright here's a story about street racing:

"My dad was coming up in the ranks, and this guy, Kenny Kirkland came up behind him and clipped my dad's bumper. When the tanks exploded I could hear him screaming as he burned to death. But they say he died instantly, and the screaming that I heard...it was me.

Anyways, I saw this guy about a month later. I had a wrench in my hand. And I hit him with it. I didn't mean to keep swinging. He was in the hospital for months. He's a janitor in a school, now. He has to take the bus to work. They banned me from the tracks for life.

For those 10 seconds or less...I'm free."

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
grubaru said:
Alright here's a story about street racing:

"My dad was coming up in the ranks, and this guy, Kenny Kirkland came up behind him and clipped my dad's bumper. When the tanks exploded I could hear him screaming as he burned to death. But they say he died instantly, and the screaming that I heard...it was me.

Anyways, I saw this guy about a month later. I had a wrench in my hand. And I hit him with it. I didn't mean to keep swinging. He was in the hospital for months. He's a janitor in a school, now. He has to take the bus to work. They banned me from the tracks for life.

For those 10 seconds or less...I'm free."
Thanks.... I think....
Is your Nos leaking in your car becouse that is straight dumb.

Erik S.

·
Registered
92 Legacy Turbo
44 Posts
Remember to Site every stich of information that is not genuinly yours. You don't want to get nailed for plagiarism, not that it will probably happen BUT it happened to me and my college career was never the same.

Hope this helps,
Stu

·
Premium Member
2001 Subaru Impreza RS
586 Posts
Hey Erik, there was a story in the news here about a street race that killed a pedestrian on Evans and something a couple of months ago. Shouldn't be too hard to find.

Nick C.

·
Baby❤Daddy
98L Wagon
27,848 Posts
look online for this story too. happened here in minot, ND. two Air force members were at a light with some local highschool or college kids...i think. anyways, the honda that the AF guys were in lost control, hit something, ripped the car in half, killed the driver. it was a newer white four door accord. you know,...i might be able to find it for you,...i'll get back to you.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
George of the Jungle said:
look online for this story too. happened here in minot, ND. two Air force members were at a light with some local highschool or college kids...i think. anyways, the honda that the AF guys were in lost control, hit something, ripped the car in half, killed the driver. it was a newer white four door accord. you know,...i might be able to find it for you,...i'll get back to you.
what newspaper was this in i'm having problems finding it?

:run:

·
Baby❤Daddy
98L Wagon
27,848 Posts
Minot Daily News. i looked, but they don't have a damn search feature. i'll call them to see i can find out for you.

·
Baby❤Daddy
98L Wagon
27,848 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Flooredsubaru said:
Thanks.... I think....
Is your Nos leaking in your car becouse that is straight dumb.

Erik S.
It was a joke. It's the horrible plot twist from the Fast and the Furous when Vin Diesel shows us his "sensitive" side. Perhaps my reference was to obscure.;)

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I know but i'm getting kinda tired of FatF jokes. that movie is getting stupid ghay now.

oh well try searching for "street racing" on google and see how many Dumb Ass's there are that are hard core car racers out there.

it makes me feel bad that they are on the road. racing like they are.

"i guess it's all about the thug life"

Erik S.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts