Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
2000 2.5 RS
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I was putting together my new headunit yesterday (Pioneer FHP8000BT). I ran in to a couple problems. I got a harness from tweeter, and matched up the appropriate wires and soldered and wrapped them, no problems.

However, upon putting everything together I ran into a couple problems. One was that there are two harnesses that aren't connected, I don't know what they are or if they should be connected or not. I know at least one of them was connected to the factory HU.

Two is I'm not getting any power to the HU from the harness I did connect.

Three is I don't think the unit is actually fitting in the trim. It fits but the trim doesn't clip in on both sides only one, is there any way to fix or modify that problem?

Thanks a lot.

· Registered
95/99 Brighton STi
3,696 Posts
there should be a small wiring diagram/pinout on the bottom or top side of the HU... that might help.

as for the HU not getting any power, check the power wires with a test light.

and try moving the unit back in the bracket. I had to move mine around a bit before i was satisfied... I can't even use the trim piece that came with my HU :(

· Registered
2000 2.5 RS
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry guys, I'm an idiot, I plugged the HU harness into the wrong harness on the car (it was late and didn't see =p). As for fitment I just used a lot of spacers I think it's pretty good now.

One question that I have though is if there's any way to retain the factory sub when switching head units. My sub isn't kicking in.

Thanks and sorry. haha

· Registered
2017 WRB BRZ w/PP
2,001 Posts
I don't know about RS's, but in my other cars that had factory subs I'd lose the sub when switching to an aftermarket HU. I would imagine it'd be the same for RS's tho.

· Registered
13 Posts
another thing you can do if u didnt already try is get a single rca and cut in sodering the outside ground to the negative for the sub harness and the inside positve thread to the positive of the sub and attach the switched of the sub to the aftermarket harness. this retains the sub

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.