Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Subaru RSTi Silverthorn
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, changed my oil, checked all the fluids and this noise is coming from the power steering pump area but i dont think its the power steering pump, i think its a lifter. But it makes me think because its not a constant noise, could it be a oil pump going bad, i really dont know but here is a clip of the noise.

Please help me out, i hope its not too bad, if so i guess my build will start sooner than i thought.

Thanks in advance.

Nick

·
Registered
125 Posts
WOW :noes: I think you may be right; sounds like something to do with the valvetrain. sorry for the lack of input. good luck man

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
so ive heard a rod knock, rod bearing so far, only reason i thought oil pump as a possibility is because it comes and goes. It's so wierd. I thought a rod knock would be more of a constant thing.

·
Premium Member
2001 Impreza OBS
2,180 Posts
to me that sounds like a rod bearing.. sounds like the piston hitting the head. I would tear the motor down. Oh, and when oil pumps go bad.. they dont make noise.. if you tear one apart and see how they work. you would see why they dont make any noise.

-Thomas

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
damn, i hate to admit it but i think thats what it is. Guess ill be doing a build sooner than later.

·
Registered
1998 Forester on Orange 57F
4,129 Posts
Damn that sucks. Let me know if you need any help rebuilding her.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts