Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2x01 2.5RS, 97 gm4
2,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well i live fairly close to tire rack and that is the only place where i can get some good brakes. i have been looking at their brakes and would like some suggestions or personal experience. it needs to be descent on price and it is for my 2001 2.5rs coupe.

so far i got my eye set on brembo sport slotted rotors, ss brake lines, and hawk plus race. this would be the most expensive set up that i will go with. would like to get the price down but dont' want to suffer on performance/quality of the product.

thanks for all the help

·
Premium Member
overdeveloped beater
8,335 Posts
Your intended use will greatly effect the choice you should make. Race pads on the street is not a great idea, for one example.

·
Registered
'06 LGT
8,334 Posts
Why not use WRX front brakes along with some factory planks you pick up form autozone and then use some HPS pads.

As for the rear the H6 is always an option.

Run some good fluid and some stainless lines and you have a awesome setup for not alot of costs.

Carisma has a thread in this forum thats stickied to the top.

·
Premium Member
overdeveloped beater
8,335 Posts
Race pads require heat to achieve full braking force. Normal street driving doesn't generate nearly enough heat to bring the pads up to temp. Your first real important braking opportunity could result in an accident.

I suggest reading the informative sticky here as well as the info at the tirerack site, or Hawk site. Follow Hawk's advice if you want the best advice.

·
Registered
'98 Forester
95 Posts
Run the Hawk HPS pads , 100% streetable and super awesome for Trackdays !! I have ran them on a bunch of cars and have never been unhappy , street or track !!

I have Hawk Blues on my Track only Sentra and they eat Rotors, dont work at all when cold , and are VERY noisy .... and with the 205-45-ZR16 tires , they are hard to modulate, They would be perfect with an R compound tire on the track , but with the street tread, they are to aggressive ....

·
Premium Member
'17 Impreza Sport, '15 OB 3.6R
9,806 Posts
Right, go with a non-race pad if you're driving on the street at all. HPS is a good choice, there's another Hawk or two that are also options. But the race pad is a bad idea unless ONLY on the track.

·
Registered
1999 ver7 coupe
504 Posts
HPS are pretty mediocre imo...the HP+ are way more grabby but do tend to squeak a bit (and generate more dust). I went from HP+ to HPS because I was getting annoyed at my squeaky brakes and was shocked at how little friction I was getting by comparison.

HPS is a street pad. HP+ is an aggressive street pad that is good for some track use.

You say the car is for "racing" though...what kind of racing are we talking about? If you are planning to drive the car hard on the track on a regular basis you should probably be looking at actual racing pads. Like others have already said though, you should not be running full race pads on the street.

There is really no free lunch or "best" product with brake pads. Every pad compound is a comprimise between usability, performance, durability etc. The most aggressive pads make the most noise and dust, and different pads have different temp ranges that they work best in. That's why many people swap pads when they hit the track. It sucks to have your brakes fade on the circuit or not be able to lock up your tires because your pads are too weak, but it also sucks to hear earsplitting squealing noises every time you roll up to a stop sign, or should I say roll past a stop sign because your race pads aren't up to temp and don't grip.

·
Super Moderator
2000 Slingshot RS-T (Sold)
3,212 Posts
are hp+ good for street? i will drive the car around town and track plus auto-x. i am gonna try choose something betweent hps and hp+

thanks for all the help
Again. Like Storm said regarding the street, this pertains to AutoX as well. You need something that is going to grab fast, the first time.
A good street pad for autox will do just fine. Heck, you can even use OEM pads.

Track is a totally different story, that is why people switch their pads out when playing at the track.

OEM or HPS for street/autox. HP+ for track.

·
Premium Member
9,806 Posts
TireRack even tells you what the pad is designed for. A lot of your questions can be answered by looking at the website you're asking us about!

·
Registered
1999 ver7 coupe
504 Posts
HP+ are great on the street as long as you don't mind a bit of squeaking/dust. They do not need to be warmed up.

They are also good for autox, track days, HPDE's etc and should not fade at all in these conditions. They are *NOT* a racing pad, however.

So it really depends...are you just talking about track days, or are you really talking about track racing?

·
Registered
2x01 2.5RS, 97 gm4
2,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i was seeing who had a personal experience and i seen that tire rack lists usage, but i wanted to see what people say. i want something that will bit and stop quick, because my current pads are pos, idk what kind they are but they are crappy even though there is some life left in them. i'm probably going with hps sience thats what most people use for street. thanks for all the info and by track i meant mostly auto-x, some open days at gingerman or something similair and maybe few times at drag strip

·
\m/(-_-)\m/
03 350z for now
491 Posts
I run Hawk HPS on my S13, with occasional autocross days. I like them, but I think the Axxis MetalMaster (I think that's what they were called) had more bite. Very low dust with the Hawk HPS though.. I recommend them.

·
Registered
2.5RS Rally Car
2,066 Posts
HPS and good fluid. Honestly, you would be amazed by how much better your brakes will feel if you just bleed them.

DO NOT get a race pad for street/autoX. They will not perform well under these conditions, make a lot of dust/noise, and will generally be annoying.

·
Premium Member
00 V7 RSTi racingbrake4pots
1,023 Posts
I was running HAWK HPS, now on EBC Yellow Stuff and prefer these. Quieter and a bit better bite, not too much dust.

·
\m/(-_-)\m/
03 350z for now
491 Posts
HPS and good fluid. Honestly, you would be amazed by how much better your brakes will feel if you just bleed them.

DO NOT get a race pad for street/autoX. They will not perform well under these conditions, make a lot of dust/noise, and will generally be annoying.
Almost forgot to mention that! :stupid:
I use ATE SuperBlue, stuff is awesome and is not cost-prohibitive either, also safe for daily drivers and lasts a lot longer than conventional brakefluid.

·
Premium Member
9,806 Posts
I'm running Brembo WRX front rotors, OEM H-6 rears, new Hawk HPS pads and Valvoline DOT-4 fluid, with stock brake lines. I think it's a very good street setup, though I'm sure I'd love the feel of 4-pots.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts