Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Super Moderator
'17 Impreza Sport, '15 OB 3.6R
9,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. :sunny:

I recently got some money that was due to me, and while 80% or more of it is going toward my credit card payment, since I was without cash for a pretty good stretch, I'm wanting to treat myself a bit.

My plans for this year--back when I had a job :D --were large. They've been cut back, but here are the choices I think I've nailed for myself. Porterfield R4-S street brake pads are already en route, so we won't count those:

WRX rotors/caliper brackets ($200 for all from Exeter Subaru)
STi Group N engine/transmission mounts
STi strut top mounts
Kartboy rear droplinks ($100/pr.)
Seat cushion reupholstering (~$90/seat)
Rear bumper spat kit, and front Ver.5 underspoiler lip, unpainted

I think that's it. My existing performance mods are as follows:
STi/FHI Ver.5 suspension (struts and springs)
Whiteline 18-22mm adjustable rear swaybar (set at 18mm)
Whiteline front strut tower brace
Kartboy short shifter & bushings

That's to give you an idea of what's on the car, what I'll be working with.

The cushion reupholstering. What that's about is this: when I bought my car, I had leather put in it by a Classic Soft Trim factory in Mass. as a dealership option. Were I smarter, I'd have held off, and bought sport seats first (like STi ones, or whatever). The leather's great, but the RS seats aren't, as most of you know. So a local (here in IL/IA) shop vendor said that for about $90/seat, he could add bolstering and lumbar support. I'm concerned that the leather'll fit back on correctly, but he says it will.

I do a lot of long-distance driving, so I do put a premium on comfortable but supportive seats.

The WRX brake rotor upgrade I do want, but... the problem there is that my 15" winter wheels won't clear the new caliper brackets.
So I'd have to sell them and buy 16"s, or transfer the old rotors back on every winter.

The spats are for looks, they're $109 from Exeter. Not necessary, but desireable of course. :)

Then there's the strut top mounts and Group N stuff. The engine/tranny mounts are a long-time want of mine, just haven't done it yet. The top mounts, though, I never even thought about, til I heard people say that they're really a good thing for new suspensions.

The Kartboy droplinks I want just to eliminate concern over a snapped OEM endlink under pressure of the swaybar. No problems yet, but I don't drive hard either. I just don't want the worry there.

So! Basically I can't afford all of 'em. Let's set an imaginary max budget of like $400 or so. If you guys could only get a few of those things, and you wanted to get the best of the bunch, what would you do?

Yeah I know it can come piece by piece, not just all at once. I know this and it all will eventually be mine. But, for now, what's the best path to take?

Thanks.
-S2-
(Sorry this was so long. I always do that.)

·
Super Moderator
2000 Slingshot RS-T
3,211 Posts
STi Group N engine/transmission mounts DEFINITELY!!!

Personally, this is a GREAT performance mod that you can feel. Shifting is so much improved its not even funny, and no more 'clunk' on the rear diff.

Top mounts? I have the usual KYB/Eibach setup, and I was planning on doing the top mounts. I've heard mixed reviews and came to the conclusion they're a good mod, but will not greatly improve handling. (I rather improve myself at the AutoX) ;)

Rear end links? Still on my stock ones, with an 18-22 Whiteline Adj. End links have survived, and believe me, I've tortured that swaybar. :lol:

OK now I can...... :run:

·
Super Moderator
9,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Alright, so we have one vote for the tranny/engine mounts.

Good, I want those anyway. :D

I know I can probably do the trans. mounts in the parking lot, but... how tough are the engine ones??

Though there will be a lot of people there I guess. (The Exeter Subaru meet on 6/30 in NH.)

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
Definatly the tranny and engine mounts. How about SS brake lines to go with your new pads? Larry's intake with an Amsoil filter. Or a 2.25 inch custom cat back wont cost much either.

·
Super Moderator
9,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Alright, mounts it is. :) Anybody know who has the cheapest price on a full set??

A new exhaust is planned, but for now I don't need one.
My favorite for the time being is the Brullen "Quiet" dual-tip.

Same goes for the CAI (though I'd probably opt for the PDM Racing version for $50). However I've heard that they don't work optimally without a AFC, which is another $300-ish.
(I am still freaked out about the water suck thing, too.)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts