Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
17,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I found a wrecked WRX (rolling chassis) upstate and it was hit in the front and declared a total loss. It was given to a "Donation Program", which is where I found it. He's not asking much for it, and the majority of the car is intact. Quoting the guy at the donor place:

"There was no engine damage. It was hit in the front but the owner didn't want to rebuild. It looks like he took a hammer or something and smashed the two pulleys on both ends (cam pulleys) to ensure the insurance company would deem it totaled. When I got it, I replaced both pulleys and the timing belt and now it starts and runs." He also said it needed a new cam sensor because the one on the driver's side was smashed... again, leading me to believe the motor is shot.

He started it up but it idled out. It was extremely loud because there was no exhaust except the manifold. He started it up again and blipped the gas for a few seconds and then it ran on its own. I could hear a lot of ticking, which makes me believe that the valves are smashed, but its hard for me to decipher all the noises over the open exhaust. I uploaded a sound clip of what it sounds like on startup. I have several video clips, but I can't send them from my phone to my email because the file it too large.

Here's a picture of the timing belt. It seems to me the belt was smashed and skipped, bending valves and God knows what else.

The only reason I would be buying this WRX is for the motor, and if the motor is blown, then there's really no point in making the purchase.

http://www.zshare.net/audio/17064495dd2d7358/

I know off the top of my head it'll need both fans, a radiator with top and bottom hoses, a recirculating valve or BOV, a cam sensor, an oil return line, and a coolant line.

Thoughts?

· Registered
1998 Suby Impreza RS, Red
389 Posts
very hard to tell from the poor quality of sound, but it sounds like a spun bearing/squeaking type noise is going on. If that is the case, stay away. This whole ordeal sounds like it might not be a good idea...as you want to buy a motor you know that is good. idk, just my thoughts:)

· Registered
1999 Rally Bluuuuuu
1,864 Posts
Unless you're willing to gamble away the money you plan to spend, I would suggest walking away. Better to spend a little more and have the piece of mind than spend the money and possibly get nothing.

I'd pass

· Registered
17,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good advice. That's what I've been leaning towards too, because the motor is definitely shady. The only thing is.. if I can get the whole car (minus some body parts) for $1800 or so shipped, then even if the motor was bad, couldn't I still make money by parting everything else out?

· Registered
'06 LGT
9,912 Posts
You probably could, but whats your time worth to you...

I would imagine you wouldn't make much money if most of the parts are toast. Ecspecially after you calculate how much your time is worth to you.

· Registered
17,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Valves are probably bent; when the car was hit in the front it smashed the cam gears, causing the timing belt to skip and bend the valves. This is common with front end collisions on Subarus. Its probably not worth your time.
Exactly what I was thinking. However, I'm wondering if it might be worth the money anyway. If I can get the whole car for $1800 shipped, I could just part it out. I'm sure someone will buy the motor for $1500 knowing it needs valves and a cam sensor. Then I just have to make up $300 with the rest of the car to be making a profit, which would be easy to do considering the only thing that isn't there are the doors, hood and front bumper.

It's an 02 rex and I already looked at it.

· Registered
2003 Outback Sedan H6
2,386 Posts
It may still be worth it to pick it up and part it out, but I wouldn't expect much out of that motor. Sounds like its going to need some major work. But hey its low mileage and there are certainly some salvageable parts, but I can't promise you'll make $1800 off the stuff that is good on that car, but things like the trans and dash would be worth a decent chunk of change and are easily marketable here and on NASIOC.

· Premium Member
1995 Impreza LX, 2000 LGT wags
1,056 Posts
I am in the same situation... http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/cto/907399522.html
The black one is an 05 wrx with about 50,000 miles.. Called the guy and he said he bought them to flip, but he just wants to get rid of them. He replaced the timing belt, and it would run however a few wires were burnt.
He said the valves aren't bent... can you tell from turning the cams freely and not hearing anything that your valves are alright??

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.