Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the '99 2.5RS I bought recently came with Borla Headers, Stromung Track Pipe, Stromung Single Tip catback, and maybe it's me and I'm just getting old but holy hell it's LOUD. Here's a video I just shot of it... :eek: :wtf:
http://s72.photobucket.com/albums/i170/Late-photos/?action=view&current=MOV01392.flv

I probably wouldn't be as bothered by it if the performance matched the sound, but it sounds like a monster but accelerates like a house cat.

How do I get it back to sounding stock or close to it? I was lucky enough to get the stock headers, and some Bosal catback exhaust. If I switch the headers back to stock is that going to make a big difference (are there any fitment issues with the Stromung stuff?), or is the Track Pipe the main source of loudness? Should I try and buy a used stock catback exhaust, or is there an aftermarket replacement that's about the same sound as stock?

Thanks for any help you guys can give. I did try listening to the different setups in the 'Which Exhaust to Buy' thread, but there was only one or two that were close to sounding like what I wanted (and one of those was a stock exhaust).

·
Registered
96 Impreza LX
72 Posts
Get rid of the track pipe, thats making your car a lot louder and probably not giving you any real power. If you combine a stock or high flow cat with stock headers, your car is going to be a lot quieter. Then you can decide which cat back to go with from there.

·
Registered
'06 LGT
8,334 Posts
Cats will definetly help you may also want to have a large resonator welded into the midpipe.

Both of those should quiet the exhaust down a bit.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
mjc1055 said:
Get rid of the track pipe, thats making your car a lot louder and probably not giving you any real power. If you combine a stock or high flow cat with stock headers, your car is going to be a lot quieter. Then you can decide which cat back to go with from there.
So the track pipe is just a substitute for a cat?

·
Registered
N/A :(
291 Posts
Yup, just pop the stock cat pipe in and leave the rest and you will be fine.

·
Premium Member
98 RBP RS
674 Posts
The cats arent there to quiet the exhaust down.
ReInstalling the stock resonator and muffler would make the most difference.

I have intake, headers, stromung hfc, with stock catback and the sound isnt much louder than it was with just the intake. (the excess intake piping is for sound deadening also)

·
Registered
MY05 2.5RS blek wagon!
417 Posts
coger83 said:
The cats arent there to quiet the exhaust down.
ReInstalling the stock resonator and muffler would make the most difference.
Your right, they're not in there with the intension to quiten down the exhaust, by my god they sure do it anyway! :p
When I went from 2 stock RS cats -> 1 WRX cat, it was black/white the difference, too loud for me.

But yep, installing stock catback will definetly help too. :sunny:

·
XCELMotorsports!
Everything nice
1,027 Posts
Get a resonator and a better catback.

Or if you want it really quiet.

Get a turbo. haha

·
Registered
418 Posts
the headers make a bit of a difference, same with the track pipe, same with the resonator, then muffler. lol. basically all of it combined makes it hella loud. if you sell your headers, i'll buy them!

kevin

·
The Truth.
2006 Infiniti G35 Coupe
5,389 Posts
Get rid of the track pipe. I had the same set-up and it sounded great... although I do think that sounds great, it's not awesome when the cops pull you over. :p

P.S. - Nice ass.

·
Boxer rumble FTW!
2005 Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS
621 Posts
OMG555 said:
Get rid of the track pipe. I had the same set-up and it sounded great... although I do think that sounds great, it's not awesome when the cops pull you over. :p

P.S. - Nice ass.
yeah i think that set up sounded kick ass too. thats what i am gonna try first borla header/track pipe/stromung CB and if i get pulled over for it i will put a magaflow resenator in the midpipe and it should still be loud enough for me. :sunny:

·
Super Moderator
'17 Impreza Sport, '15 OB 3.6R
9,806 Posts
01rs25 said:
Cats will definetly help you may also want to have a large resonator welded into the midpipe.

Both of those should quiet the exhaust down a bit.
Agreed, I'd go with an 18-22" resonator in the mid.

And definitely lose the track pipe. The Strömung HFC pipe is cool for power, but is also annoyingly loud.

I hate to say it, but stock's where it's at.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
wow, didn't expect more input, but thanks everybody.

I'd love to get my hands on a OEM CB in good condition, and an OEM intake as well (the one that's on there is a Weapon R I think). Once I can get a decent replacement exhaust the one I have will be up in the classifieds.

As for the booties, LOL, the 1st was a girl I used to date and it was very nice. 2nd is some girl I used to work with that has a redicuously nice body, as you can see from the pics (I only wish that I was the one taking those pics).

1 - 20 of 37 Posts