Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

Help ! 2016 Subaru wrx sti CEL code P0301 cylinder #1 misfire

7K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Samurai Jack 
#1 ·
I just bought this car like 2 months ago unfortunately from a used dealership , & now im having this problem and it’s so irritating cause .. I’ve already changed spark plugs , the coil , clean air sensor , i have pretty much done or checked about everything i could research on the internet. So i am really out of ideas until the other day someone told me it could be the timing belt jumped. When i told them what happen before the CEL came on , i was going up a small hill entrance to the freeway and i was in 2th or 3th gear and i know i over did it pushes it hard WOT can’t remember how high i got the RPM before i shifted could that have made the timing belt jump? Also what I can see the car is complete stock , car turns on great first try but wen it’s cold it idles hard rpm to 1.5k than wen hot 800 it drives good just you can feel there’s no power 2nd to 3nd feels the same some jerking when i accelerate i just can’t keep spending money ?

Im going to check the timing belt , but i don’t know how to check and see if it jumped how is the belt need to be set ?

#2 ·
Remove the belts and crank pulley (22mm). Remove the timing cover. Locate the timing marks on all pulleys, 2 intake camshaft 2 exhaust camshaft and crank. Put the crank pulley bolt back on and turn the motor by hand from the crank. Line the timing mark on the crank with the mark on the block at 12 o'clock. Inspect the Mark's on the pulleys, they should line up. If one is off, it jumped timing. PS you may have to turn the crank twice around, as the ratio is 2 crank rotations per 1 for the cams.

#5 ·
Just to make it easy for everyone, you need to use a little more punctuation. Run-on sentences are hard to read and understand clearly what you are trying to say.

A P030x ( where x = 1, 2, 3, or 4 ) has so many potential issues it can drive you crazy. It's a very long list.

From what you said, it sounds like you over-revved the motor so, yes, you can get a CEL show up, but the CEL just may have to be cleared and that will be the end of it.

You did not necessarily do anything to the timing belt. Sounds like someone was just making a statement without any real understanding or you left something out in your description.

Without knowing what you actually did, these are the typical things to try before you start throwing money at the problem:
1. Swap plug from cylinder to different cylinder and see if issue persists.
If the CEL changes to that cylinder, then the plug is the issue

2. Swap coil from cylinder to different cylinder and see if issue persists.
If the CEL changes to that cylinder, then the coil is the issue

3. Check all vacuum lines for leaks or a disconnect
4. Check for loose hoses
5. Check for clogged air filter and fuel filter
6. Where have you purchased fuel lately? Bad gas can certainly cause your issue.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.