Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

help 2.5 rs problem

554 views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Stubaru 
#1 ·
Hi, I recently got a 2.5 rs stick shift. I am kinda worried cause it makes a significant rumbling noise if i drive it above 2500 rpm. specially first, second, and third gears. The engine suppose to be pretty silent and smoothe right?? it sounds like a harley davidson. can someone please tell me what this may be? it is a brand new car and i can't drive it "worry free" cause of the noise. i can't wait to know the results of this matter so i can feel relaxed and ride the car with fun.

ps i was wondering how long the break in period is for the 2.5 rs 2002 impreza. thank you very much. :)

#3 ·
I don't know exactly what kind of noise you are describing here, but when I drove my first impreza, it seemed so weird to me. The boxer engine feels crazy, and completely different then any other car, and I love it.
That is just one thing to keep in mind, everything about the car is completely different from any other car, so if you just aren't used to it yet, that might be what it is... But if it is definitely a crazy rumbling noise, yeah, dealership sounds good.

#6 ·
My 98 RS sounded like a diesel engine, when it first started and especially when it was cold. I asked my ace dealer what they thought and they said it was the cam followers or something. They suggested Redline engine oil, and sure enough it cleared up. I also believe those followers can be slightly adjusted. Find out, mine was loud before the oil change but it was not because of any problems.

Stu

#8 ·
Red Line is the RS' magical elixer. How does your tranny shift in the morning before it warms up? Mine had trouble so I used Redlines Tranny Fluid and it was fixed immediatly. But then I had a 98 and they had alot of stupid issues before they got warmed up. I believe that with when they changed to the SOHC most of these problems were corrected though. Give it a try though, the only problem is Redline is expensive but it is considered one of the best motor oils on the market.

Stu

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.