Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
If this is the wrong area for this post please fix! :help::help:
Picking up a red 2000 Subaru RS 2.5 manual for 5,500. Has a motor with 40k on it, head gaskets done very recently. I was curious if anyone could give me some advice on what to work on first? As well as good sites to purchase from to start my adventure on fixing her up?

Original Advertisement goes as fallows. :projectsti.com:

"""""Car has complete rebuilt motor about 40k miles ago w/ new gas tank and radiator Completely new timing belt assembly w/ head gaskets and valves replaced about 1k miles ago. Normal maintenance always done(brakes, rotors, oil, tires, etc). Well taken care of. Normal wear for age of vehicle. Tags expire beginning of July. Few things would need tending too - 1.Knock sensor throws low voltage occassionally(no performance issue) and could use a replacement whenever decided. 2. Could use front cv joints replaced in not too distant future(slight squeak) 3. HeaterAC box doors stuck on floor and defrost and maxes on setting 3 blower - shuts back off when swithed to 4. 4. Passangers side auto lock needs the relay hooked up inside the door panel or replaced(not sure which one, never was a big enough issue for me to look into - would just manually lock/unlock that door. 5. Needs new trunk seal. All these are easy fixes. She's a great vehicle and ready for her next home.""

I am newb in all forms of Subaru. However, I am a fast learner. Always taught myself everything. (tech savy in both Vehicle repairs and electronic. Everything from engine bay to stereo systems, Computers to system administration.):naughty:
I would like to replace its interior with a 07 or newer dashboard. As I hate the dashboard that comes with it. I am just assuming I could go junk yard hunting for most of what I am looking for. To save a buck or two at least. Although if anyone has leads some good websites or advice in general. It would be appreciated greatly.

Really hoping for a result in the end like the images in the attachments.(First 3) The second 3 are its current condition.

Attachments

·
Registered
93 L Wagon 1.8L
527 Posts
Fist off welcome. Glad you made it over.

First impression: $5500 is a lot for the car, but they are getting more rare. This coupe is the more sought after model that would justify this price...or closer.

Mods:

There’s an entire section detailing everything you could want to do to your RS.

Engine mods are fairly basic. There’s no big horsepower jump without an engine swap. Doesn’t help with a rebuilt engine... basic bolt ons will get some gains but each have their pros and cons. CAI, exhaust, LWFW...probably as far as I’d take the engine.

Aesthetically you got a ways to go...

The first cars you’ve pictured have fender flares. This is to accommodate wider wheels. It involves cutting the fenders as well. It’s not a job I would do on a rust free CA car, but to each his own.

It’s not as far off as you’d imagine. A lip, flares, some spats, coils and tint and you’re as far as most get with this platform.

Start here and if you have questions beyond this there’s a search function in this forum. Sometimes google is quicker.

https://www.rs25.com/forums/

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thank you. Definitely appreciate the information. I personally prefer the Sedan version. I have always hated cars with back seats that are truly just going to go unused because of the lack of space. Why not just get the 4 door? Utilize the back seat if they are going to be there anyway.

I basically just need it to run for a 100-150K. So I can save for a swap. I believe it should be able to do it.

·
Registered
93 L Wagon 1.8L
527 Posts
The coupe is more sought after because it’s lighter than the sedan. I need more room too, which is why I opted for the wagon.

Most that get into an RS are thinking the same thing. “Drive it till I swap it” seems to be common, hell I’m doing that myself.

Best of luck with the project!

·
Registered
Bluebird
691 Posts
The coupe is more sought after because it’s lighter than the sedan.
I stumbled upon this post and felt the need to correct the misinformation:

According to this thread (plus being a coupe and sedan owner myself):

https://www.rs25.com/forums/f4/t49606-official-curb-weight-thread.html

Coupes are not lighter then Sedans. Also, coupes are typically more desirable because of the 22b being a coupe, and some think of them to be more 'sports car' vibed.

I am not trying to be argumentative, but this common misconception has always bugged me.

·
Registered
93 L Wagon 1.8L
527 Posts
It’s basically the weight of the doors man. Looking at the graph there are variations, mostly because of the interior changes (airbags,etc). I will concede that there is always talk that Coupe is lighter than these posted weights but, in most cases it was still lighter. Even if only by 100lbs.

It’s also the last Coupe Subaru made. Unless we’re counting the BRZ/FRS but that’s barely a Subaru in comparison.

The rarity is probably a better answer but weight definitely factors in and you’d see more weight difference with a gutted caged car with 4 doors vs 2. Even if it was the weight of the doors...Coupe>Sedan

·
Registered
2000 OBSTi
500 Posts
I personally prefer the Sedan version. I have always hated cars with back seats that are truly just going to go unused because of the lack of space. Why not just get the 4 door? Utilize the back seat if they are going to be there anyway.
In this particular case, the only advantage is that the backseat is more accessible. The actual space is virtually identical. Coupe, Sedan and Wagon for this generation all have the same wheelbase and overall length.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts