Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1995 AWD Brilliant Red Subaru
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, i been lurking around these forums for a couple days now. I like the tone and atmosphere around here better than i-club. This site seems more mature and less ego-headed. I am 16(yes, very young) and have been working very hard to save up for a car. Last summer, i worked 44 hours a week at a local marina located off the deleware. Anyways, I saw this ad like a year or 2 ago with a 2000-2001 2.5 rs on it. It caught my eye so i did some investigating on the internet. I probably won't be getting a car for another 2-3 years(hopfully). I like the look of the older rs (2001 and older). Also, they weigh less then the new wrx, and insurance is drastically lower from what i been reading/hearing. On the other hand, the wrx has much more horsepower, stiffer chasis(spelling) and easier modibility(imo). It also seems the wrx has more aftermarket parts then the older impreza's. The wrx is also a lot more expensive and requires premium fuel to fun(91-93 octane if i remember correctly). Also, the drivers of the wrx have ego problems which can be felt through this site (not all of them but many). My probelm is(besides cash) is if i decide to get a 2001, which will be about 3-4 years older by the time i save up money, they will be scarse(spelling?) to find. On the otherhand, the wrx will be about 2 years older, maybe the fad will die down, and the used wrx's with low miles will be somewhat cheaper. I heard of turbo charging the 2.5rs, but i thought the 2.5block is weaker and it wasn't a good idea to do this mod. Moding sounds like fun, and i would be more than willing to work to support it this hobby(obviously performance isn't cheap since my father's performance boast costs a whole lot to maintain and anything that is fast costs money). What should i do?

·
Registered
05 STi White + 99 RS White
1,828 Posts
It's up to you. I had the same decision (rs v. WRX), and decided on the RS. I like the looks, wanted a coupe, and liked the $10k savings. I plan on adding a turbo (perhaps a supercharger) in the future. I am having fun in the car, and it's amazing how it kicks the WRX's butt in autocross. I highly recommend the RS. You will have fun with it, even bone stock. My friend liked mine so much he bought his own, and hasn't looked back...;)

·
Registered
646 Posts
Well either way you'll have to keep in mind the fragile M/T's. Then again I don't see the WRX fad going away anytime soon. Seem the first year out people have had more then a few issues with the WRX which was to be expected. I just wan't ready for the super hardline that SOA is taking on any and all repairs when a warranty is involved. Hate to say it but if you want cheap, fast and AWD right now find a 1G Eclipse GSX since you can find them for under $4K if you look. Those things had much better repair records then the 2nd gen Eclipse's. Then later on after you've saved up the cash try and find somebody selling their turbo 2.5RS.

·
Registered
1995 AWD Brilliant Red Subaru
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
my decision.....

Well, I am pretty sure i want the 2000-2001 rs. First, I think it looks so much better hands down. The wrx lights are just too much for me. secondly, the 2000-2001 rs has most of the quirks worked out of them. I just wish most of them for sale didn't come in leather. The insurance is another thing i had to consider. Insurance for a wrx will be way too much for a 17/18 year old. I am gonna start looking around for a 2000/2001. I don't care if its coupe or sedan(i would prefer a sedan but they are very rare). If anybody live in philly or new jersey, and is looking to sell there rs in a year or so, e-mail at [email protected]. Thanks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts