Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ran through the hesitation thread but came up with nothing on this.

Car: 1998 Impreza L ~150k miles

Recently the car has been experiencing heavy jerking/hesitations (to the point where the seats are shaking) at highway speeds. The longer you drove it the worse it was getting to the point it was undrivable. I went ahead and changed the spark plugs thinking it was an ignition issue which worked temporary but the problem came back. The spark plug wires and fuel filter are less then a year old. The car did sit over the summer so I don't know if is weather related with how cold it is.

Something to point out is you could make the jerking less severe by manipulating the throttle. Same with braking.

Also my oil temp light blinks upon start up so this could be a transmission issue. I tried doing the TCM procedure but the light didn't blink at all. Maybe just a circuit issue. The fact the spark plug change helped initially makes me think its not related.

Appreciate any insight on this.

·
Registered
99 OBS
276 Posts
This is a strange one, have you checked for any vacuum leaks? Pulled any codes lately?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No Codes at all, I'll check the wires again. Now that I think about it the car turns over a couple times before it will start. I just assumed it was the battery but maybe it is the ignition coil going out and I need a new one. Is this a common issue and would something like this cause the car to jerk? Its almost as if I'm experiencing fuel cut or bad misfires.

Thanks

·
Registered
99 OBS
276 Posts
If it takes a while to start then your indeed either missing fuel or spark. Test for fuel delivery by pulling off the fuel line that goes into fuel filter and put that fuel line in a jar and crank the car. (disconnect the coil so the car doesn't start on starved fuel) You should get a decent amount of fuel coming from that line.

·
13 Years of RS
2005 Toyota Corolla :(
5,532 Posts
Front O2 sensor. Gives bad readings to the computer, computer doesn't know what to do with fueling, you get lots of bucking and jerking/stuttering, tries to die at stop lights, stuff like that. Next time it does it, mash the throttle, it should magically start to run perfect once it gets into open loop mode where it runs off predefined fuel maps and ignores the front O2 sensor.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts