Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i've searched and cant find directions on how to do the headlight mod. i only found pics of the completed job. can you someone post how to do it?

·
13 Years of RS
2005 Toyota Corolla :(
5,532 Posts
Which headlight mod are you refering to? I don't know of any headlight mods for the GC8 of the top of my head.

·
Registered
116 Posts
i've been on i-club for a year and a half and never heard of that one. i'm spending more time here.:D

·
Registered
190 Posts
It seems there is a better option than painting. Since taking out the headlight assembley will always result in condensation inside...right?

There was some guy who had headlight covers that covered both the headlights and corners with a CF look kinda like the new Maximas. Now, I wanted to buy that cover, but I have no clue who to contact and who sells them. They mentioned some guy that was both on I-club and this board, I emailed the guy but he never replied. I really want those headlight covers...so if anyone knows how to get them...that would be the great.

If not, then I guess I'll have to paint them....which IMO does not look as good as the CF headlight covers.

Here is the thread for the CF -covers.
http://www.rs25.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1580

Ben

·
Registered
13 Posts
the covers look cool, but i still prefer the painting. but i'll probably get around to neither because i'm not concerned with exterior mods very much.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I have done this mod. I have had no condencation problems. I have it done no for aboput 6 months.

What i did. Take out head lights. Take out the light bulbs Place one of them in the oven for 10 to 15 min. after you preheat your oven to 250 F. Take your time b/c if you rush you could crack you headlight. now use a screwdriver and Slowly pry the glass away from the plastic housing. this took me the longest amount of time. after you get the housing off. take off the chrome piece that is to be painted with two small screws on the back. Make sure that you dont touch any off the chrome that you are not planning on painting. the oils in you skin will discolor them! after you get that piece off hang it and paint it. let it dry, while you doing this start on the other one. Once the paint is dry put the now black piece back on and place the headlight, glass is still seperated from the plastic housing, back in the oven for about 10min. Then push the glass back into place. I used a lot of rubberbands and rapped the headlight with them to make sure i got a good seal. once your do put it back on your car and admire! If you have any questions feel free to ask away. Oh i almost forgot, make sure you use a High temp paint!

To the page posted after i did the Mod Oopps i did relize that you already had a link to this.

·
Registered
300 Posts
asusimpreza said:
It seems there is a better option than painting. Since taking out the headlight assembley will always result in condensation inside...right?

There was some guy who had headlight covers that covered both the headlights and corners with a CF look kinda like the new Maximas. Now, I wanted to buy that cover, but I have no clue who to contact and who sells them. They mentioned some guy that was both on I-club and this board, I emailed the guy but he never replied. I really want those headlight covers...so if anyone knows how to get them...that would be the great.

If not, then I guess I'll have to paint them....which IMO does not look as good as the CF headlight covers.

Here is the thread for the CF -covers.
http://www.rs25.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1580

Ben
Have you ever seen those covers in person? Because i felt the same way you did until i saw them in person and they look Very cheap! Headlight mod is a lot cleaner IMHO. You might want to check them out in person before you deside to purchase them. I used to know where you can get them but i cant find the page right now.I try to foind it and get back to yea.

·
Registered
210 Posts
i would just like to say that i started the whole "Headlight Mod" thing. :nuetron: (sorry i just like to put that in becuase so many people think WRXs were the first to do it when it was us GC8 people who started it for Subaru) I posted it along time ago on i-club. do a search for "diy headlight mod" look for the very last post in the results and you will see my thread.

and i dont get condensation in my lights.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Okay, I just finished the mod in about 4 hours. It was a pretty easy job, though only possible with Elite421's instructions. Since my car is black, the headlights are a very good addition to the overall look. Thanks a lot Elite421!!!

Ben

PS. Now all I need is that cool front bumper. lol

·
Premium Member
2000 Aspen White Sedan
396 Posts
Has anyone done this on their Aspen Whitey? I really want to see how it looks before i make any decisions, thanks.

·
Registered
02' PSM WRX
1,535 Posts
i know this thread is like super duper old and some one is gunna say "holy old thread batman!" or something along those lines, lol. but... has anyone done this headlight mod to a brilliant red impreza rs? and maybe a sedona red?

·
Registered
2001 Impreza 2.5RS
288 Posts
i saw the carbon fiber covers on www.ebay.co.uk.com
do search for carbon fiber headlights and they should come up. getting the guy who is/was selling them to send them to US is a different story. But check into that. I've seen many, many parts that US doesn't have that UK does and just ask the sellers if they will ship to US and BAM! there you go..

1 - 20 of 36 Posts