Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
JDM Moneypit
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Basically I'm still doing a lot of research but I would like to know opinions on UEL vs. EL headers. I am a little torn between making significant gains and not losing the characteristic boxer rumble. I currently have a stock 02 wrx motor and turbo with plans of probably going with a 16/18g type of turbo. I've heard positive things about the Litespeed UEL headers on par with the EL designs but I'm open to any suggestions.

·
Banned
4,438 Posts
its not a zero sum thing, so it is highly dependant on several factors including but not limited to

turbo being used
intended rpm range
desired power band

sound wise, it is very brand specific, as pipe diameter, routing and thickness have a lot of effect on the overall sound. In general, the EL smooth the sound out, the UEL enhance the boxer rumble. To me, both sound very characteristically Subaru, but I'm around them all the time as well, so a bit jaded in that regard.

For a 16/18 G on a 2 liter, I'd opt for an UEL.

·
Registered
JDM Moneypit
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the input, Adam. Do you recommend a certain UEL or do you feel most are comparable? I've read about some headers having a tendency to crack especially when wrapped.

·
Registered
2000 2.5 RS-T srp sedan
2,732 Posts
personally unless you making huge power the lose of boxer rumbler to power gain is not worth it.

Stick with UEL !!

·
Registered
6,423 Posts
an equal length header attempts to promote better scavenging and ultimately flow. It does this by well essentially making a proper header.

The gains are decent, but if you want a cost and ease solution that is as good if not better, consider a large EWG.

An 18g makes really no sense, since an evo3 16g flows almost as much at the same pressure, and a 20g spools a tad later but makes much larger numbers.

An EWG also manipulates VE and essentially makes the exhaust housing emulate a larger size, by bypassing a considerable amount of exhaust to it's housing. They also improve peak numbers longer as a function of superior modulation of the emulated larger housing. Backpressure is reduced a bit, but most importantly it is buffered.

·
Registered
JDM Moneypit
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So Jake, basically what you're saying is go with a 16g if I'm not going for big whp numbers and that uel headers are just as good in this situation with an ewg? At what psi should I be concerned with switching the waste gate?

·
Registered
6,423 Posts
for a street car a larger sized 16g with a td05 housing with a 44mm ewg would be awesome.
I'm going to run a 44mm with my small 16g td05.

EWGs and switching to an EL header when compared, the EWG always makes larger numbers. AND they come on sooner, make the powerband below max power much more usable.

I'd do an ewg at any pressure.

·
Registered
2002 2.5RS BRP
2,393 Posts
Wow thanks good to know. I was planning on using both an EL header and EWG when I go turbo, but now that I know I can get the same performance AND keep the UEL growl, I'm much happier :)

·
Banned
4,438 Posts
Thanks for the input, Adam. Do you recommend a certain UEL or do you feel most are comparable? I've read about some headers having a tendency to crack especially when wrapped.
There are several very good ones, of course depending on budget, etc. The ones I've found best as far as no cracking, dealing with heating, or coating, which I'm partial to (wraps get beaten up especially given the real estate the manifold on this car takes up) are the GT Spec/Tomei, HKS, Cusco (much bigger $$)

I dont have any experience with the ebay level ones, we steer clear of that stuff, just too risky for us

·
Registered
JDM Moneypit
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'd love to have a cusco header....I'll have to start saving up for that one. Is there a difference overall with the type of combination of the HKS with the 1/2 and 3/4 vs the 1/3 and 2/4 configuration? I can see I have to start reading up a little more on turbo technology and especially EWGs.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.