Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· x
2000 BRP RS sedan
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't seem to get my headers to tighten. When I took them off all the bolts came out not just the nuts. Now When I try to tighten them down the nuts goes so far the the more I try to tighten the nut, the more the bolt backs out of the hole. I'm really confused as to how they can be tightened.

· Registered
95/99 Brighton STi
3,696 Posts
You gotta take the nut off the stud. I used a vice to hold the nut and a good set of vice grips on the part of the stud with no threads. Heating the nut til it glows helps ALOT.

Then, if you haven't stripped the threads out of your heads yet, throw some loctite on the studs and screw them into your heads. I cut a small notch on the end of mine so I could screw them in with a flat tip screwdriver.

BE VERY CAREFUL NOT TO STRIP THE THREADS IN YOUR HEADS --> major bitch to fix

06 Wrangler Unlimited
4,630 Posts
The other thing you can do is put two nuts on one end of the stud, and 'jamb' them against each other. That way you can use the one closest to the end to tighten down the stud, and then obviously take the nuts off the stud..

Definitely use some loktite though..

· ok terrific.
'95 STi RA rep, rhd yo!
6,562 Posts
Do you have another vehicle you can use? When I had that issue, I just ran down to the local True Value, and picked up a set of metric automotive studs and nuts for a few bucks.

I don't know if it's the same chain-wide, but the stores close at 7 here.

· Premium Member
overdeveloped beater
9,088 Posts
If the stud is backing out when you tighten the nut....the head is stripped. Take the stud back out (double nut it to remove it) and check the threads. If they are gone, you have 2 choices. 1: drill and tap to the next larger size. 2: buy a thread insert kit for the M10x1.25 and install new threads.

· needs more cowbell
95L, 07 2.5i, R6
12,639 Posts
Maybe the studs aren't threaded into the head far enough and you are breaking the last set of threads. How far are you able to twist the studs in without the headers in the way? How much torque are you applying to the nuts?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.