Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
2000 BRP Coupe
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got an EJ20 swap in a 2000 RS.

Last summer I upgraded to a VF34, threw in some pink injectors, fuel rail, TGV delete (diy), header, turboXS stealth back, perrin i/c hoses, monstrous top mount intercooler, etc etc etc.

anyways, at some point in the past two/three months, my head gasket has gone.

i'm running around 19-20psi boost.

what head gasket would you recommend? OEM seems 'ok', but i'm wondering if i should step up to cometic, or some other recognized brand.

i'm wondering if i should also be replacing the head bolts with ARP studs? just for added insurance?

any help would be hot...i'm somewhat confused on all the options for head gaskets, and timing belts (going to do the timing belt when the engine is out and being worked on).

TIA

·
Registered
1999 2.5RS
672 Posts
^ Hey just wondering...

How did you like your vf34 setup on your EJ20 swap? How was the response after going from tdo4 to vf34 in your RS?

I got a 99RS w/ EJ20 still on stock turbo w/ up+tbe+big tmic+pulley+turbo inlet+colder plugs+tuned on the Cobb AP.

I'm not gonna be upgrading turbo anytime soon. I plan to wait for my shortblock to go out then replace it w/ an EJ257 then just stick a vf34+inj+pump along in there with it.

To answer your original question, I think the Cometic gasket and ARP studs would be a good move. Just make sure you choose the right gasket to get the compression you want.

·
Premium Member
overdeveloped beater
8,335 Posts
The Cometics are MLS gaskets...so yeah, still 3 layers...but all steel and fully viton coated on the mating surfaces. They even go as far to claim they are reusable...but for the price, I'd just as soon replace with new.

You can't go wrong using them, that's a fact.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts