Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was over at the ultimate subaru message board and they all are complaining of of the poor quality head gaskets on the phase 1 engine. I noticed not too many, if any complaints over here.

I would think the dohc is a better ideal design that the sohc due to less parts etc. any thoughts ?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Probably because most of the people here have 99-on RSs with the phase 2 engines. I had a 2.5GT with the DOHC engine . . . both headgaskets failed.

Do a search on www.nasioc.com for headgaskets and you'll see a CRAPLOAD of complaints!!

I've also heard that people are starting to see problems with the new engines and headgaskets, although the problem is an external leak, not internal.

Jason

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
i also had a 99GT Phase I and rather than headgaskets, cyl #4 blew.... same story... diff issue...

very, very common in the 98 RS'.... i know 3 guys w/blown HG right now in my area!!! :eek:

design flaw imho... and be wary if you're considering buying a 98... could end up being one of the "lucky" ones... but it's unlikely... seems all too common...

cheers
Jamie
www.subiegalracing.com||www.allsubaru.com

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
afraid of that

well is there a remedy like a better head gasket that the subaru one i assume they did not fix the gasket problem if indeed it is a design prob with the gasket. if i put cobb heads on i would like some piece of mind or heaven forbid if i force induce this thing.
somewhere i read that the gasket is in two or three parts? now on the phase two motors they are one piece?
just not looking forward to it happening when i am on a trip, i dont want to be forced with some crack mechanic working on my sube

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Back in my V8 days I had Trickflow heads on one of my small blocks and I had a TON of head gasket problems. We’re talkin’ like 2 months and they would fail. My girlfriend at the time and I got ridiculously fast at changing them. We used to race… ahh the good old days. Anyway I switched to Fel-Pro Copper “racing” gaskets and the problem went away till I blew the motor. I spent a ton of cash on racing head bolts thinking they were stretching and causing my problems but it turned out to be a waste of cash. Cobb should be able to make a suggestion when you buy the heads for the ungodly amount of money you're going to give them.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks

thanks i got the info on http://www.nasioc.com/ they have the subject pretty well covered looks like sub has a new gasket and part number and should take care of the prob assuming my engine does not overheat before then.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Of you're going through the trouble of getting re-worked heads from Cobb (mucho $$$) you might as well put a copper HG in an O-ring the block while you've got the engine apart.

As much as I think the redesigned gaskets may make a difference, they are not tested for longevity YET. You might as well put something in there that's a little better . . .

Afterall, you want peace-of-mind, right?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts