Votes: 35 25.0%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Rollin' D.D. style..
98 Blk 2dr 2.5rs
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was always under the impression that head bolts are supposed to be replaced when removed. However, I was told from the dealership that they are not reccommended to be replaced and I was also told that from a parts dealer here in town. So I dug into it a bit more and I am just curious. We are going to be doing the gaskets shortly on my RS, but I am just aquiring all the parts I need to do this when the question came up. I searched around on here and some say yeah, they can be reused and other say no..... So what is it?!?!?!?

·
Registered
sold it to Susie the Subie
3,233 Posts
my vote was no, I don't know if they are truely reusable but I reused them. My guess was I doubt Subaru has a pile of headbolts sitting around at their shop for everyone's car that they service,

edit: ok, I read the title your poll, to re-use or not? woops! Minus one vote from the poll, I obstain

·
Registered
422 Posts
I have reused them before and had no problems. I just put some oil on the threads and torque them to specs. Engine ran for another 40k miles before it spun a bearing with usesd head bolts :D

·
Registered
'99 Hybrid RS Coupe
2,719 Posts
They are stretch bolts, so my initial thinking would be to not reuse them. However, I have never gone out and bought new head bolts before, though. I've done research too, and it should be just fine to reuse them.

I voted 'YES'.

·
Registered
95 GC 371hp/355tq ej25 1.5xtr
4,494 Posts
call your dealership and talk to a TECH ( not a service adviser) and get his professional outside of the dealership opinion.

does subaru have a troubleshooting hotline?

·
Rollin' D.D. style..
98 Blk 2dr 2.5rs
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not sure about the hotline, but I'll try to swing back by the dealership tonight to ask. I just thought this was strange. If I don't have to blow $140 on stock headbolts, I am not going to. Perhaps this is why they are so much more expensive... I don't know! :D

No plans for boost. It my GF's d.d. for the time being. I might get another RS for myself later on though,

·
Registered
98 Impreza 3.4L Turbo
3,294 Posts
Officially they are one use
Experimentally, you can reuse them.

Do I? No.
Do others with success? Yes.

There is no straight answer to this question.

·
Registered
00 OBS Silverthorn Metallic
4,184 Posts
Some head bolts are torque-to-yield bolts which mean they stretch when you torque them down. Subaru head bolts aren't like that. They are just standard high strength bolts. I work at a Subie dealership and we NEVER replace head bolts. Even if the customer requests it, we advise them it's not necessary.

·
Rollin' D.D. style..
98 Blk 2dr 2.5rs
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Some head bolts are torque-to-yield bolts which mean they stretch when you torque them down. Subaru head bolts aren't like that. They are just standard high strength bolts. I work at a Subie dealership and we NEVER replace head bolts. Even if the customer requests it, we advise them it's not necessary.

So they are not TTY bolts?? Interesting. Is this why the price is so damn high on them??

·
Registered
'99 Hybrid RS Coupe
2,719 Posts
I coulda sworn they were stretch bolts.

I trust your opinion working at a dealer, though

·
Registered
00 OBS Silverthorn Metallic
4,184 Posts
I don't know why they are so much. 98RS DOHC bolts list for $10.58/ea. 2.2SOHC bolts are only $5.52 a piece. So it must be something with the grade of bolt used on the 2.5's. But just to be sure I checked the service manual and during the installation procedure it states: CAUTION: Use new cylinder head gaskets. Then the next step states to tighten the cylinder head bolts. So it clearly shows it's not necessary to replace the head bolts or it would be listed under the caution with the head gaskets.

·
Registered
GF OBS-T, GM RS EJ20, SF EJ20
4,973 Posts
I have also reused them a couple times, no issues. If you are going to run boost, I recommend upgrading to some studs. ;)
+1 Get some ARP's.

I'm baby boosting on a never opened up stock ej222 complete with stock headbolts, but I have a set of sohc ARPs for the "good" engine.

·
Zombie Killer
02WRX to 04 STi to 98RS-EJ255
700 Posts
Subaru does not use stretch bolts, so yes, they are reuse-able...but I probably wouldnt reuse them more than once.

hehe...didnt read before I posted. Guess it was already answered.... oh well...

·
Rollin' D.D. style..
98 Blk 2dr 2.5rs
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
+1 Get some ARP's.

I'm baby boosting on a never opened up stock ej222 complete with stock headbolts, but I have a set of sohc ARPs for the "good" engine.

I'd get those...but they are kinda pointless in a NA setup. I don't plan on redoing this all again so yeah! :D

·
Premium Member
overdeveloped beater
8,335 Posts
Splinter, where is the "official" prescription to replace used head bolts. It isn't in any FSM that I've read.

Solby11 and other have it right. The FSM does not specify to replace the headbolts once removed from the motor. That lack of instruction and the countless first hand accounts of reused bolts being fine should be enough to convince just about anyone.

However.....as I said over at nasioc yesterday....if it helps you sleep better at night....replace them.

·
Registered
98 Impreza 3.4L Turbo
3,294 Posts
You're right, I just read my FSM and it doesn't.

Maybe it was in my haynes manual, which isn't exactly an official source :p

·
Rollin' D.D. style..
98 Blk 2dr 2.5rs
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Splinter, where is the "official" prescription to replace used head bolts. It isn't in any FSM that I've read.

Solby11 and other have it right. The FSM does not specify to replace the headbolts once removed from the motor. That lack of instruction and the countless first hand accounts of reused bolts being fine should be enough to convince just about anyone.

However.....as I said over at nasioc yesterday....if it helps you sleep better at night....replace them.

Alrighty, I'll just reuse them and see how it goes! :p

1 - 20 of 72 Posts