Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The installation of the Hayden Trans Cooler was actually was a lot easier than some of the instructions on the net suggested. No removal of anything was necessary (except for the grill). I just punched the posts from the back to the front and using stencils to get the proper placement (got the stencil idea from a Maxima board).

Tips:

1)Buy an extra hose (the kit comes with one hose) so that you can replace the OEM return line hose. You can buy the generic transmission cooler hoses by the feet at Kragens (so buying the more expensive Hayden one is not necessary). Just make sure you buy the right size.

2)Connect the hoses to the cooler before punching the posts through cooler. Once locked with the locking tabs, the only way to remove them is by cutting them. (I didn't do this and it was a bitch to push the hoses through because of limited space).

3) I found that I didn't have to replace any of the ATF fluid, since minimal amount was lost. Though its best to check the fluids after a week.

I'm checking the hoses every weekend, just to make sure there are no leaks, binds and whatnot.

Ben

·
Registered
2004 Forester XTi
1,005 Posts
What good is a tranny cooler? Protection, maybe?
How's the installation difficulty?

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well its added protection for the 4EAT people, esp. during autocrossing. Most of the damage to transmissions are usually heat related.

The difficulty level: easy (2 hours max)

·
Premium Member
MY98 2.5RS Coupe Brilliant Red
880 Posts
As soon as I can get back into the auto shop, I'll finish the installation of my TMTC on my RS. It'll be right under the hoodscoop, giving it a function now. I'll post pics when it's done. It's gone a heck of a lot better than I thought it would be. Almost scary. :happynow:

AJ

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I actually thought about putting it there, though the only reason that stopped me is probably the fact I might put an intercooler there someday. I'm sure it'll look cool though, at a glance it might look like an intecooler and get poser(ricer?) points for it. hehe

Remember to get pictures!!

Ben

1 - 5 of 5 Posts