Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
2000 RS
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering if people here are happy with thier ej20g swaps? I'm seriously debating on having one done also with the 4.11 tranny. Let me know what you think.

Thanks,

David

·
Registered
95 RHD WRX
1,799 Posts
thats such a vague and general question.20g and 4.11 tranny is just basically full v2 wrx swap. And yes, its nice. Its good to 350hp on the stock turbo, gearbox and stock clutch good to 400hp.Depends on your powergoals. ej20k is a step up, it revs faster and is just a more refined design but you pay for it, and there has been much speculation about the reliability of ej20k motoors, I've personally seen two of them blow recently in normal condiionts. I also saw an ej20g blow a few weeks about, but that was running 22psi on 91 pump gas =]. I have a full jspec v2 wrx and i've driven an ej20k. There is a noticable difference but I still love my car all the same. Im running stock boost making around 280hp aand the car is plenty fast.a few boltson and a tune will make me very happy indeed. I'm happy with my deicision. For the price of an ej20k motor swap, you can get an ej20g motor and drivetrain swap.

·
Registered
95 RHD WRX
1,799 Posts
ej20g is ej20g. The difference between any and all of them is neglicable. Sure the STi RA is supposed to have forged pistons but I really have no idea. My friend's ej20k sti RA shattered 2 pistons and cracked the block running half of stock boost just cruising. The pistons didn't look forged to me.

I have a V2 WRX with a fujitsubo catback and apexi panel filter.

·
Registered
2001 2.5RS w/ EJ255
146 Posts
When I was doing my swap research I found the EJ20G shares a lot of parts with the EJ22 turbo that came to the US in the Legacy. The EJ20K on the other hand you have to hunt for the parts on JDM parts sites, and special order stuff. I also read a lot of guys in Japan would buy the EJ20K from a WRX and with minor mods and tuning they would keep up with or exceed EJ20KSTi's. I stuck with a USDM engine because they are well supported and easier to find with low miles. Good luck on your research and if you need a hook up let me know. I found a EJ20K in Canada with some missing parts that you would have to hunt for like MAF, Fuel Pump Controller, and some other misc parts.

-G

·
Registered
GF OBS-T, GM RS EJ20, SF EJ20
4,973 Posts
Rumor on the Legacy site is that an ej20g will run off of Legacy Turbo wiring & ECU.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have EJ20G totally stock atm and I like it a lot. Still working the gremlins out and collecting future mods but even stock its got good power and very reliable so far. Took it on 1400mi trip on memorial day weekend with no issues and I was cruising 90-100mph for a lot of those miles. I paid 3k for the front clip/rear diff/axles/brakes

·
Registered
2000 SRP RS
311 Posts
norcalrallyist said:
I have EJ20G totally stock atm and I like it a lot. Still working the gremlins out and collecting future mods but even stock its got good power and very reliable so far. Took it on 1400mi trip on memorial day weekend with no issues and I was cruising 90-100mph for a lot of those miles. I paid 3k for the front clip/rear diff/axles/brakes

@[email protected] What was your gas mileage... lol. You were on boost obviously, but still wow.

What tranny, STi 4.11?

I have an EJ20K that I am putting in, and quite honestly I think its personal opinion. I would say if you want more power stock w/o modifiying the block, go for an EJ20g, or if you want a slightly newer engine... well go EJ20k/h etc.

·
Registered
2015 WRX
2,350 Posts
I have the first version STi RA EJ20G produced, one of the hand built motors. Like alot of others have said, differences on the EJ20G's are pretty negligable - RA's had closed deck block, forged pistons, and 5th injector amoung other things (different valve lash adjustment). Nothing that matters that much. The interesting part of the drivetrain I picked up is the 3.9 DCCD tranny... it's just nuts. Strong, short gearing, and all around fun to drive on. I still get mid 20 mpg around town and 25-26 mpg on the highway with stupid short gearing and a high strung RA motor. EJ20G is old, which sucks for aftermarket support, but if you can find one with low miles, I wouldn't hesitate.

I'm running mine on a Cobb DP, Borla Hush catback, Apexi intake, and ebay front mount - it's a very capable motor.

·
Registered
95 RHD WRX
1,799 Posts
Suby25 said:
I have the first version STi RA EJ20G produced, one of the hand built motors. Like alot of others have said, differences on the EJ20G's are pretty negligable - RA's had closed deck block, forged pistons, and 5th injector amoung other things (different valve lash adjustment). Nothing that matters that much. The interesting part of the drivetrain I picked up is the 3.9 DCCD tranny... it's just nuts. Strong, short gearing, and all around fun to drive on. I still get mid 20 mpg around town and 25-26 mpg on the highway with stupid short gearing and a high strung RA motor. EJ20G is old, which sucks for aftermarket support, but if you can find one with low miles, I wouldn't hesitate.

I'm running mine on a Cobb DP, Borla Hush catback, Apexi intake, and ebay front mount - it's a very capable motor.
I like the 3.90fd box a lot more than mine 4.11 but 4.11 is probably better for daily driving.

sheesh...mid 20's. I get 20 city or so, about the same on highway...though I do have 17"s so my readings may be off a bit.

·
Registered
MY00 STM 2.5RS Coupe
1,191 Posts

i've been told the exact opposite, that the 20g sucks. I'm looking at a full v1-2 sti ra swap with forged internals, but i was told i would have big reliability concerns.

·
Registered
6,423 Posts
96% of people on here know jack fucking shit. stop reading everything you see on rs25.

20G is a good engine. tougher than a pile of shit 205

·
This is SERIOUS!!!
2004 Silver STi
1,142 Posts
The only thing the matter with the G cooling is that original hose will blow on you. Here in Okinawa I run a VERY strong G that keeps up with STi 20K's and 207's. Look at my journel for details.

BTW peeps, ALL SEDAN WRX GC8's have a closed deck EJ20G. The only EJ20G's that are open deck are the GF8's (wagon WRX's) and the V3/4 GF8's. Those "late" G's engine bays/intake/intercooler setup are IDENTICAL to the EJ20K. BUT THEY ARE G's!! I'm so tired of all the mis-information you guys in the states generate. Ask someone at the source and stop guessing or worse: repeating "what you heard from some guy on the corner"... /End rant.

·
Registered
MY00 STM 2.5RS Coupe
1,191 Posts
The only thing the matter with the G cooling is that original hose will blow on you. Here in Okinawa I run a VERY strong G that keeps up with STi 20K's and 207's. Look at my journel for details.

BTW peeps, ALL SEDAN WRX GC8's have a closed deck EJ20G. The only EJ20G's that are open deck are the GF8's (wagon WRX's) and the V3/4 GF8's. Those "late" G's engine bays/intake/intercooler setup are IDENTICAL to the EJ20K. BUT THEY ARE G's!! I'm so tired of all the mis-information you guys in the states generate. Ask someone at the source and stop guessing or worse: repeating "what you heard from some guy on the corner"... /End rant.
what hose is that you speak of? Can you buy a stronger one or anything?

1 - 20 of 68 Posts